Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many different weights for a rottweiler that's six months old. Took my Rottweiler to the vet where she said he's a little underweight and from everything I see he's right on track with all the websites and pictures so I'm a little confused. Recently weighed 77 lb of 6 months. First time Rottweiler owner. Thanks for any information or other weights of dogs at 6 months old he is a male as well.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Does he have ribs or backbone showing?? Honestly...a 6 month old at 77 lbs sounds BIG!!!! On average a male Rottweiler puppy that is bred to the standard should be around 60lbs at 6 months of age. 7 months 70 lbs, 8 months 80 lbs, etc. Usually they gain weight till around 10 months...then slow right down and grow and gain weight much more slowly. Please try to grow him slowly and have him gain weight slowly....it's so much better for their joints and ligaments to gain weight slow and steady.

It also depends on their pedigree...and your breeder should be able to help you out with that. Some are growing much faster at a young age...then stall by 8-9 months...and some are slow growers and continue to grow till 2 years of age. This is not a giant breed like a Great Dane....and should not be oversized.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply yes I have started to only give him two meals a day just was really surprised that my vet said he was underweight head scratcher. Everything that I saw look like he was right where he should be I will upload a picture again thank you for the information definitely do not want to overfeed or underfeed

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Again I appreciate the knowledge that I learned on here but I decided to take him to a second vet and they told me he is right on track maybe actually a little heavy so yes I have cut back to only two meals a day. For two weeks they told me then reevaluate his weight.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Just remember he is growing...and don't worry too much about cutting back on his food. They do go through growth spurts and one day he may just look a bit lanky. What food are you feeding? and how much? Some foods are higher in calories and you need to feed less...some are full of fillers and you need to feed more to get the calories.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
FYI . You said you were feeding Royal Canin Rottweiler food. This is a grain based food with very little meat. It contains all of the things that can cause allergies, ear infections, etc. from corn to wheat gluten, wheat, brewers rice, etc. This is a very overpriced food and the Rotteiler theme is a big sales gimmick. There are so many better foods that are meat based for the same money. He should be on a Large Breed food Adult is fine now. Here are some of the ingredients of the food you are feeding. The company fractions out all of the grains...and once you figure that out...this food contains very little meat.

Chicken by-product meal, wheat gluten, brewers rice, corn, brown rice, chicken fat, wheat, pork meal, natural flavors, monocalcium phosphate, dried plain beet pulp, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, fish oil, potassium chloride, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, psyllium seed husk, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate(vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 , etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all look into that that's what my breeder said they use for their Rottweilers I use more raw food then actual dog food he had a slower growth this week only gained 4 pounds so I think is a good stepping stone only feeding him twice a day he is now 6 months and 1 week old definitely does not bother him coming down to two meals a day. We tried orijen not a fan of that dog wouldn't touch it will dig deeper into royal canin.

· Registered
45 Posts
FYI . You said you were feeding Royal Canin Rottweiler food. This is a grain based food with very little meat. It contains all of the things that can cause allergies, ear infections, etc. from corn to wheat gluten, wheat, brewers rice, etc. This is a very overpriced food and the Rotteiler theme is a big sales gimmick. There are so many better foods that are meat based for the same money. He should be on a Large Breed food Adult is fine now. Here are some of the ingredients of the food you are feeding. The company fractions out all of the grains...and once you figure that out...this food contains very little meat.

Chicken by-product meal, wheat gluten, brewers rice, corn, brown rice, chicken fat, wheat, pork meal, natural flavors, monocalcium phosphate, dried plain beet pulp, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, fish oil, potassium chloride, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, psyllium seed husk, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate(vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 , etc.
I think you are right about Royal Canin dog food. Since my rottweiler started having that, he has come out with sores on leg ,under chin, toes. The vets said he could have allergies. I have started given him Arden grange dog food. Naturally Hypoallergenic. My local pet shop said the same about the Royal Canin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts