Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten a 6 week old rottie puppy over the weekend. I got him from a breeder who had the parents on site to see and observe. The day we brought him home he was fine. I held him often and he was pretty tame and good. Since then he has growled at me a few times. I was not doing anything inparticular...one time i was trying to pick him up..another time i was just petting him and playing with him. Then I took him to the vet .....he was ok except after they did the rectal temp. The vet tried to take a fecal sample and the puppy growled and snarled and showed teeth....like a vicous growl. The vet said that was NOT normal and not good. That scared me. Since that...I have seen him growl and snarl a few times. Once when i was trying to pick him up and another when my sitter was trying to pick him up. Then a few times when my husband was interacting with him. Luckily...he has not shown this behavior with my children. My question is: Is this behavior normal for a 6 week old?? What could be the cause?? Can it be changed??? Should I think of not keeping him?? I have 2 children.....2 yrs and 4 yrs old.

thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure six weeks is way too young to take a pup from it's mother. From what I have heard, 12 weeks is the minimum. During the first 12 weeks (or more) the mother helps teach the puppies to 'chill out'. For example if the pup was growling or being agressive the mother would subdue it until it settled down. Without the mother to subdue to pup it's going to think that it can get away with the kind of behavior you describe. This is a frightening thought, considering your rotty (based on the average) will grow up to be a 100+ pounder capable of doing serious harm to others. You should get some advice from an expert as soon as possible to try and straighten this out. I definitely think you should keep him, this is something that can be corrected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know...6 weeks is young. The owner was getting rid of them for whatever reason and dind't want to keep the pups. The mother had 11 in this litter. So I took one right away....figured he would be better off. However i do belive that he was taken too soon from the mother and needed to be nutured longer from her. However.....as long as this behavior CAN be fixed...i am willing. What can i do to take place or replace the mother's responses to this behavior?? He also pees ALL over.. A LOT. I have never seen a dog pee so much. Sometimes it is like 4 or 5 times in a 10minute period. All over my kitchen no less. He is good about pooping outside however...only a minimal number of accidents. I am crate training as well. He criesa lot in the crate at night. Should i take him out or leave him in there?? I feel bad. Would it be better to just gate the kitchen off? Or does he just need time to get used to the crate. I think his breeder let him sleep outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS: i was also told by the vet that this behavior was inherited and most likey can not be changed. could they be wrong?? the vet really scared me.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think your vet is crazy. That pup is probably stressed out big time right now. 6 weeks is too young to go away from mom and littermates. I'd try letting him relax a few days and maybe give him a stuffed animal to keep him company. I'm sure someone else will have more helpful info than what i can offer, so you hang in there , someone will come along with good advice.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Welcome to the board here if I missed you when you joined. I am like 2bad some one will be on to help you that has knowledge of what to do in these cases but I really do think you should keep him in the crate as I think they really feel safe in them after they get use to new home and it takes awhile. I put my Xari in a smaller crate and put him right by my bed and every time he cryed a little I put my fingers in there with him and he would curl up on my hand a fall to sleep. He is 10 months now and is still by my bed. Like he said put a toy in and when Xari would growl a little even in play I would look at him and just tell him NO, not loud or raising my voice but he knew that was not going to fly. You can get this pup turned around with this I am sure,just work at it and alot more people will be here to help you that know far more than me. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi mcarbone, Welcome to the site , you'll find allot of good answers to your questions here if not in a reply but in many posts that are available for you to read to your hearts content. We here will give you great advice with out biting your head off , most sites out there will NOT be as gentle in replies as we are here ! Is this your first Rottie ? 6 weeks is way to young for a pup to be taken away from it's Mother and siblings ! In your last post ..the vet saying that this behavior is inherited by seeing a pup at 6 weeks and him already knowing that is crazy ! Yes some dogs ( just not Rotts ) do have aggressive behavior that may be inherited , how a vet could tell at a young age baffles me .......(Donna aka rutylr )here might know more about that issue. You also said in your post that you are crating , Allot of us here believe strongly in crating .....I crate all 3 of mine and they lovetheir crates it's theirplace they can go to at anytime and take a napor just hang out , their doors are open all the time ....some here don't believe in crating ( be quiet Dan
) how long are you crating your pup up at one given time ? At that age no longer then 2 hours maybe 3 at the max even at night . At 6 weeks it's going to be a bit hard to potty train unless you take him out every 2 hours . I hope you stay around so we all can help you with your little man ....sounds like you need our help .

·
Registered
196 Posts
hey welcome aboard.you know sometimes in a ltter of that size,pups are competeing for food and use aggression to get their share.the last liter my female had their was 1 pup that would growl and show teeth when picked up.i decided to keep her because i was afraid someone else would not know how to handle and correct her behavior.you have to be consistint with correction,just want to reassure you this behavior can be corrected.give the pup some time to adjust,but when wrong be firm.are you keeping the pup in a crate?yeah i agree with othewrs it is kinda young to leave mommy.good luck,and dont give up on the lil guy

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
I would CRY too .... if you put me in doggy jail everynight

My rottweiler used to sleep in the bed where i sleeped .....

then there was 2
..... now i sleep on the couch

just like when i was married

You need to be firm and consistant with that lil guy ......

just keep on telling him what you want of him ... he will come around

dont let him become ALPHA dog in the house ....

I used to be " KING " of this castle .... now i am " court jester "

but i wouldnt have it any other way ..... LOVE them ROTTWEILERS

DON'T give up .... these are a wonderful breed of animals ......

" rotts - a - luck "

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can i tell a playful growl from one that is not?? Bruno likes to go after my ankles and nibble on them. OUCH. also..he goes for my socks and won't let go. if i try to give him a toy instead and retrieve my socks he growls...is that playful??

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm going to PM you some info on this, as we just had a huge dicussion on another board I'm on.

Welcome aboard!!

Barb

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
First off 6 weeks is way too young to be away from the mother.

I will let a pup go at 7 if the people have had Rottweilers before or if they have other dogs.

The biting must stop now!!! or is will get out of hand.

here are some links

http://www.ehow.com/how_18746_stop-puppy-biting.html

http://www.frontierrots.com/rottinfo.htm

http://www.ipass.net/wrweber/dominance.html

I like this one

http://www.grcco.org/teaching_your_dog_to_settle.htm

when my puppies try to bite they are given a stern no and placed on their backs until they give up (go limp),sometimes this takes a while,but don't give up or the puppy wins.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a similar problem. I rescued a 7 week old Rott/GSD mix female from the shelter. She's a good dog. But when you try to pick her up sometimes she growls. Then when I put her on her back & pin her she goes nutz
. She growls even more & bares her teeth. Then when she realizes she not going anywhere she cries and tries to wriggle free. Ikeep her pinned until she shuts up &calms down.All of this in about a 2 minute span. I keep direct eye contact with her at all times and growl back at her. I'm not sure if I'm correcting her properly. We have a 7yr old Rott also & he never did this as a pup.

Other than that. She's pretty good. She sits on command. I make her sit every time before she goes out & when she's about to be fed. She gives paw & knows a trick sort of. Even walks ok on leash. She stops only when I stop. If she tries to get ahead of me. I cut in front of her & make a turn.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This is why good breeds make sure they do not leave early and give the puppies lots of stimulation good and bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts