Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Where did you get this puppy from? Is it a rescue? did you buy from a BYB? A well bred pup bought from a ethical breeder, should weigh more. Has he been to the vet? Has he been wormed? What food are you feeding? Need more information before we can help. A well bred, male pup should weigh around 15-20lbs at that age.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm looking back at my dog's vet records to see her weight at various ages. She weighed 4.1 lbs at 7 weeks, 6.0 lbs at 9 weeks and 15.5 lbs at 13 weeks. The vet never showed any concern about her weight. I don;t think they vary male/female when they are that young.

I believe your vet can tell you how old the pup really is and whether he weighs what he should. Good luck with him. He's very cute!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking back at my dog's vet records to see her weight at various ages. She weighed 4.1 lbs at 7 weeks, 6.0 lbs at 9 weeks and 15.5 lbs at 13 weeks. The vet never showed any concern about her weight. I don;t think they vary male/female when they are that young.

I believe your vet can tell you how old the pup really is and whether he weighs what he should. Good luck with him. He's very cute!
Hi, just been reading this thread, can I ask what age and weight your girl is now? I have just got a Rottweiler puppy, a male who is 7 weeks old and I was a little concerned that he seemed very light at 5lbs.

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Hi, just been reading this thread, can I ask what age and weight your girl is now? I have just got a Rottweiler puppy, a male who is 7 weeks old and I was a little concerned that he seemed very light at 5lbs.
5 lbs is small. Is there a reason that the breeder sent the pups home at 7 weeks? 8 weeks would have been better. I've raised 2 male pups from ethical breeders that were doing it all right...health certs, showing, titling their breeding dogs, screening future puppy homes,etc. One pup was 17 lbs at 8 weeks, and another 19 lbs at 8 weeks. The breeders had wormed the pups regularly, and the pups were health checked by the breeders vet and vaccinated before going home. One was from a litter of 8, and one from a litter of 6. Often really large litters the pups can be smaller and weigh less before going home. I've only raised one female Rottweiler pup, and Jemma as about 11 lbs at 8 weeks when we brought her home...again from an ethical breeder. The breeder was feeding the pups Orijen Large Breed Puppy food.

It also matters what the breeder is feeding the pups from weaning to going home..if it's cheap, low cost, grain based food (Purina Puppy Chow, Pedigree,Ol'Roy, Iams,etc.)...those pups are not going to grow and gain weight, and if they have not been wormed regularly...again...the pups tend to stay smaller. Once they get wormed and onto good food...they usually grow well.

Get your pup to the vet with a fecal sample and make sure you feed the best meat based food that you can afford...and your pup will grow, and gain weight. Slow and steady...usually about 10 lbs per month for male pups.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would not be concerned about the weight being 5 lbs at 7 weeks since mine was only 4.1 lb at that age. Today she is almost 7 years old (her birthday is mid March) and at the last weigh in she was a whopping 141.2 lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I ask how big your pup ended up growing after those 7 weeks? My Rottie girl is about 9 lbs at 9 weeks, and according to all the “charts” she’s smaller than average. Been transitioning over to a large breed puppy food (Eukanuba) and seeing my vet in another week. She was dewormed at the breeder at all the right times. She wasn’t the runt, in fact the entire litter was similar in size, but she was right in the middle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts