Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, this is my first post. I got a Rottie about 6 years ago from a guy who was getting a divorce. He posted this dog on Craigslist. Rottie was one at the time. This turned out to be the most beautiful Rottie I have ever seen, no kidding. Supposed to be related to Cannon River Oil Tanker. He is not a perfect dog, but is pretty good.

Well, we used to have sheep and this dog had natural herding instinct. he would follow the herd, flank them and just urge them along very slowly. I never trained him or even encouraged him to herd, he just did it. He liked the sheep and was kind to him, never aggressive. I had another Rottie, a female who went to Rottie heaven a few years ago, who was the opposite and would attack the sheep at any opportunity. An ear went missing once (through a fence). We found the ear tag about a month later in the backyard. But I digress. Morale is not all Rottie's herd.

So the male Rottie I was talking about was out with me as I put a few horses into a pasture. I was leading a mare and another mare was loose following us. I assumed she would follow us into the pasture gate, but she had other ideas. She decided she would continue on into neighbors pastures far beyond my pasture. I really did not know what to do. I was on foot, with no equipment (dumb) of any kind aside from a halter and lead rope. I was calling and trying to cajole her into the pasture. She just looked at me like, "Sure, oh yeah, but no, I am free and you cannot do a thing about it." And the truth is she was free, no fences, she could have run away. So I am yelling at her and calling to her. She is giving me the middle finger.

Out of now where comes my Rottie, Sam. He just flanks her slowly and calmly walking along slowly. No one was more surprised than me. I really do not know how he knew to do that, but I sure appreciated it cause the mare took one look at him and just talked towards me as if to say " I give."

No one was there to verify the story but me, the Rottie and the two mares. It happened. I was stunned and still am. Thought you might appreciate the story. He is a great dog.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Great story. Rotties can herd animals naturally. Some are more talented than others in knowing what their owners wants, like they read your mind. Yours sounds like a really awesome guy. And yeah, females are generally more high strung and can be a bit more aggressive. The ones with the worst prey instincts I've had were female Rotties. I'd find dead cats in my yard, rats, gophers, everything the girl could get to. She had a fenced yard, but no animal other than her pack/family was safe from her in it.

And I used to have a horse and some of my Rotties just could not be kept away when I was lunging him... just could not resist chasing him...(I'd have to put them away or hang onto them) and a couple of others would sit in the middle of the arena with me calm as you please like they knew not to bother the horse when I told them "no." It's probably a combination of intelligence and instincts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts