Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a great article I found on becoming the "alpha" in your pack. I know there have been lots of threads on this topic, but thought it prudent and timely to post something again, especially with all the new members who have little ones.

New Page 0

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The article is good. The use of the term 'alpha' seems to be going away, as more is being learned about the 'domestic wolf' - our dogs. We do have to be in charge, particularly with such a strong breed. I am glad the article advised not to use some the the old fashioned methods of becoming alpha, particularly the alpha roll.

I am upset about the web-site and the 'breeders'. They call themselves 'code of ethics' breeders. Yet, they have 7 pups currently available, and they have another litter planned for the end of this year (which I think is 4 litters this year) and 4 planned litters for next year. They only test for hips, nothing else. The facilities seem nice. However, my opinion is that they are nothing more than self-glorified back yard breeders.

Reactions: Chicco

·
Registered
688 Posts
I mounted CoCo when she was 8 weeks old, and never had a problem afterwards....

HaHaHa....ok...so I'm a schmuck for a laugh....humor me. Good read though...and CoCo is certainly not pushing the "test you for dominance" envelope...that's for sure. Maybe were just so used to running the show around here from having Rotties...but our dog's know who runs the roost. I can't recall other than Dakota in his later years...when the dog's weren't NILIF.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sylvia, I didn't look at the breeder's website, just the article on Becoming the Alpha. I thought the article was very good, and even though there are several threads addressing this topic, I thought that this info. would be good for the new members with puppies to read, especially if this was their first rottweiler. I apologize for not looking at the website more thoroughly before posting this article.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I have treated all of my Rotts in this manner. You have to take control right off the get go. In all the Rotts I have had I've had two dominate ones. Kitty, and Apollo. With me being only 5'2 and 107 lbs. they could have put me down in a min. I love what Anne, says at times they have to meet Jesus at times! Some thing like that. Kitty, and Apollo, have gone there too! Kitty, was a bull head where Apollo, was trying to be very dominate.....hence the Alpha.....It wasn't happening on my watch. I have practiced NILF for quite a long time. When they eat I don't say a word they know to sit then all I do is point to their food when It's OK. I always fed Apollo, last to knock him down a peg. And it worked he would lay in the dinning room and wait until he was called to eat. Thanks Jan, for posting to all the members that have little ones....... :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Colleen! I know that when we got our first two rotties, we read everything we could on the breed, but even then, nothing really prepares you for a REALLY dominant dog. Zeb, who passed away a year ago in February, was really dominant and would challenge me all the time when he was young. Like you, I am not very tall, 5'1" and 120 lbs. Zeb and I had several meetings with Jesus, as Anne says! lol More than I can count, but finally he came around to my way of thinking and ended up being the most fantastic dog we have ever owned. ;)

I haven't been on the forum that long, but it seems like since I joined there have been lots of new members with puppies. I googled "How to be the alpha" and got this article. I should have looked at the website, but wasn't interested in that, just the article, so I posted it for those that are "new" to the breed thinking it might help them.

I'm a little out of the loop Colleen, what does NILF stand for?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Jan NILF means Nothing In Life is Free......Your Rott has to work for EVERYTHING! Even If they want petted they have to sit first, then when your done stop petting them. They might want more but don't do it. Ignore them!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jan, thanks for posting the article. Any help in dealing with a more assertive dog is appreciated! I was spoiled by my darling Yaela who was a sweet creampuff!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Sylvia, I didn't look at the breeder's website, just the article on Becoming the Alpha. I thought the article was very good, and even though there are several threads addressing this topic, I thought that this info. would be good for the new members with puppies to read, especially if this was their first rottweiler. I apologize for not looking at the website more thoroughly before posting this article.
Not a problem. The info was good. I just wanted to add my comments on the web site for anyone who might go there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rottie1984, I didn't know about the bedroom part when we owned other breeds: boxer, beagle, weimaraner, irish rat-tail spaniel, and lab, we always let our dogs sleep in the bedroom, but that stopped when we got our rottweilers.

Susan, is Tiffany as assertive as Lor? Boy, she is one little hellian! I thought that Regen had drive, well Lor makes Regen look like a sissy! She is the drivey-est puppy I have ever seen and VERY assertive! LOL

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jan, Yaela was the sweetest dog I ever met, not at all assertive, but had a ball/prey/chase drive off the charts! She would chase the wheels on shopping carts. There were also odd times when we would be in a store or the bank and she would see someone and try to lunge at them and go woof!

Tiffany is very assertive and protective. We were standing on the driveway yesterday and a UPS truck drove by and she started barking at it! She watches anyone and everything that goes by. If she hears someone outside, she barks, whether she is inside or outside. Tiffany has solid ball/prey/chase drives, just not as extreme as Yaela's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rottie1984, I didn't know about the bedroom part when we owned other breeds: boxer, beagle, weimaraner, irish rat-tail spaniel, and lab, we always let our dogs sleep in the bedroom, but that stopped when we got our rottweilers.
I let Rocky sleep in my bedroom and i never have any problems.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I may be a bit old-fashioned in my approach because I could of written that to be honest. It is exactly how I would describe dogs.

I also use NILIF and need to when I take in fosters that I've picked up from someone and haven't got a clue about. My last boy that I kept took me quite a while to sort out and NILIF was how I did it.

Good article.

I didn't look at the rest of the site but FOUR litters a year and only hip scoring is absolutely disgusting.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Jan, my Rhea, barks at the wind....LOL She also barks when no one is around.....I call her Miss barks alot....:) I think shs just loves to bark.... Now Kitty, rarely barks at all. She love my UPS guy....when I have let her out the front door she has run and jumped in his truck..... she wants to go bye, bye with him..... He just loves her and has said he has never come across a dog like her!
Jan, Yaela was the sweetest dog I ever met, not at all assertive, but had a ball/prey/chase drive off the charts! She would chase the wheels on shopping carts. There were also odd times when we would be in a store or the bank and she would see someone and try to lunge at them and go woof!

Tiffany is very assertive and protective. We were standing on the driveway yesterday and a UPS truck drove by and she started barking at it! She watches anyone and everything that goes by. If she hears someone outside, she barks, whether she is inside or outside. Tiffany has solid ball/prey/chase drives, just not as extreme as Yaela's.

Reactions: regens_mom

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, that is too funny Colleen!Our Maddy barks all the time too, it drives my husband crazy! He threatens to put a bark collar on her, but hey, she's 11 years old. What is driving me crazy lately is Chaos will be dreaming and start this low whine, which turns into a howl at around 4:00 every morning, and this gets all of 4 of them howling, even the puppy! This has been going on now for about 2 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
JJ started barking at everything he saw moving outside - about a year ago. I worked with him to lessen, but not completely stop, the barking. After 2 - 3 barks, i would call him to me, and when he came, I made a big fuss (sometimes, but not often, I had a treat for him too). I would pet him and thank him for warning and protecting me, and have him sit or lay down next to me. I still do this if he barks more than a few times, however, now he usually gives out a few barks and then comes to me without being called. Of course, he still gets a fuss made for doing a good job of warning and protecting.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My Rhea, howls in her sleep too! Don't know why..... It's not all the time but when she does howl it wakes me up....LOL The first time she howled it woke me up and I thought the fire station alarms were going off....LOL Kitty, only howls when she and Rhea, are out in the yard and fire station alarm goes off.
LOL, that is too funny Colleen!Our Maddy barks all the time too, it drives my husband crazy! He threatens to put a bark collar on her, but hey, she's 11 years old. What is driving me crazy lately is Chaos will be dreaming and start this low whine, which turns into a howl at around 4:00 every morning, and this gets all of 4 of them howling, even the puppy! This has been going on now for about 2 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to mention that all four of them have taken to howling in the morning when I leave for school too. I'm curious as to why they do this? Are they trying to communicate with me or what? I know they evolved from wolves, and wolves howl, . . . so what is the connection?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
mocha often tests me for dominance. i pass the test.

i can't read regen's comment without of thinking of this particular youtube vid which i have watched many times:
-p.s. mocha came running in when she heard the sound of these guys

[video=youtube;1uBREYj3LYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uBREYj3LYw[/video]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts