Rottweilers Online Forums banner

A recommended book - MUST READ

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Thorvone 
#1 ·
It is not very often that I recommend a book, but I encourage everyone to take a look at this book. http://www.nathanwinograd.com/

<H3>Redemption</H3>
<DIV style="CLEAR: both; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 10px"></DIV>

Redemption is now the most critically acclaimed book on its topic ever written. Read the reviews and see the awards the book has won.

Redemption is the story of animal sheltering in the United States, a movement that was born of compassion and then lost its way. It is the story of the “No Kill” movement, which says we can and must stop the killing. It is about heroes and villains, betrayal and redemption. And it is about a social movement as noble and just as those that have come before. But most of all, it is a story about believing in the community and trusting in the power of compassion.

See less See more
#2 ·
We had a discussion on the topic of no kill shelters in my "Animals in Human Cultures" class (at UNR) and while I promote and support animal shelters, kill and no-kill, I am not satisfied with the way no-kill shelters advertise the fact that they are no-kill facilities. They fail to mention that they refuse a lot of animals that they believe should be euthanized. Most do not accept older pets nor do they accept animals that need extensive medical care because they do not want to tarnish their name with the euthanasia of these "hopeless" animals. I have this book (it was given to me by the director of the Nevada Humane Society) but have yet to read it because from what I have heard it puts down the shelters that do euthanzie animals. While I may not agree with the euthanasia of perfectly healthy, adoptable animals I don't know how we are ever going to handle the exploding pet population until people are educated on spay and neuter. The shelters that do euthanize animals actually deal with the problem instead of shutting their door to it or turning a blind eye as I believe many no-kill shelters do. Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now.

Tricia

#3 ·
Audrey - please advise. How many boxes of kleenix should I have on hand before reading this book.

Tricia - I agree with your post. Just like too many things in our society, the name 'No kill' can be misleading.

#4 ·
Tricia, sometimes we believe things simply because we have been toldso often that we accept it. Each time we see, say, read, or write wereconfirma belief as fact. But is it?

Sylvia,the book did not make me cry, a little sad, a liitle depressed, but mostly mad as *ell. What it did was got me off my butt and very envolved in fighting legislation breeder bills, MSN (mandatory spay neuter) laws, BSL, helping my sister in law with her feral cat project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.