Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to see if my dog had a preference for taking treats from the left side or right side when two treats were layed side by side with about 5 feet in between. the dog was told to lay down, while i paced about 15 feet in front of the dog straight ahead. i then layed one treat a couple of feet to my left and the other treat a couple of feet to my right. if you drew a straight line forward from where the dog was laying, it would be in the center of the two treats. i would then stand back a few more paces and release the dog to come and get the treats. she would get to the treats, think very briefly about which one to take first, and then make her move.

i noticed that there was no preference to the left or right. she seemingly randomly chose to grab the left or right treat. i say seemingly randomly because i eventually figured out that there was a method that she was using, and it was my position in relation to where the treats were placed. even though i stepped back a few paces, i was not perfectly centered. she determined which treat i was standing closest to, even if only by a tiny amount, and took that treat first. sneaky!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
When I was in college I interned one summer for a company that made dog food. They would do the same thing with 2 bowls of different dog food formulations. One dog figured out that both bowls were removed when one was emptied. So he learned to grab a bite from one bowl, run to the other bowl and grab a bite until all the food was gone. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts