Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are feeding our pup Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy. It's what the breeder fed. I have been told it's a good food, but am looking for something better. I see Acana recommended here again and again. So I looked them up and they have so many varieties! Where to start? Which line do you feed your rottie? Do you rotate the kinds, and if so, which ones? I'm in the states, in case that matters.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
I have been feeding Acana/Orijen (same company Champion) for the last 14 + years. I like the Regional lines and would change the protein for each bag. Never had any problems with changing the different proteins with my dogs.
They have just come out with a new line called Acana Wholesome Grains , that I have just bought for my dog now. All of the foods they make are good and meat based. I guess the best thing to do is try one kind that is close to the what you are feeding now and see how it goes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We used to feed Acana grain-free - the boys all did well on that. We've also moved the Acana grain-inclusive and are happy with how they're doing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agis and BBD you have me confused, when I came on here you 2 were saying to not feed a dog food with grain in it as it's just a filler. I have been feeding my boys Acana. Now you are feeding a dog food with grain in. Why the reversal in dog foods ??

·
Registered
414 Posts
I didn't say that, if you look at your thread - did I? Now I'm confused. Our beagle has a heart murmur, which is why I wanted to feed grain-inclusive. I fed grain-free for years and had a Shepherd live to 15.5 years, so it's not all bad - and good grain-free IMO is better than bad grain-inclusive - it really depends on the food. If you look at your thread I say I'm feeding Acana with grain and how to find it in Canada.

In any event, having a dog with potential heart stuff was a big motivator for us.

·
Registered
414 Posts
A lot of grain-free foods use legumes, which have been MAYBE (there's controversy) implicated in dogs developing DCM (a heart disease) - Acana's grain-inclusive doesn't use legumes (most grain-inclusive foods don't).

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
I just tried it for the first time because it's "new"....lol I'm a sucker for anything new. The grainless food that Acana and Orijen make are meat based...they are high quality, top foods. Some grains, like some potatoes, are good in foods. Kibble cannot be made without some sort of carb. The problems start because the cheaper quality foods use grains and corn to up the protein...because there is very little meat in their dog foods. Even when the company blasts right on the bag.."meat is the 1st ingredient". If you start looking at the label....there could be chicken...followed by corn, wheat, rice, wheat middlings, rice starch, sorghum, etc. Which means that if you add up all of the difference sources of carbs....there are far more carbs and by-products then meat. If they only made all pet food companies show on each bag a picture of a pie chart to show exactly how much meat, carbs, veggies,etc. is in each food.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been feeding Acana/Orijen (same company Champion) for the last 14 + years. I like the Regional lines and would change the protein for each bag. Never had any problems with changing the different proteins with my dogs.
They have just come out with a new line called Acana Wholesome Grains , that I have just bought for my dog now. All of the foods they make are good and meat based. I guess the best thing to do is try one kind that is close to the what you are feeding now and see how it goes.
So Orijen and Acana are the same company! This is a piece of the puzzle I was missing. I kept seeing them mentioned together. I am familiar with Orijen because we also have ferrets and they get a blend of things, one of which is Orijen's cat and kitten formula. I know they are a quality brand. I see both the Regionals and Wholesome Grains options. Also one called Singles Limited Ingredients. The Diamond Naturals she's eating is a lamb and rice formula. I don't see lamb as an option for any of the Acana foods, but I know how to switch food slowly to avoid tummy upset. Do you do that with each protein change or is that not as issue as long as you're using the same line? I haven't followed the grains/no grains debate that was going on for several years. I know dogs did just fine with grains formulas and then suddenly it wasn't okay and now they are coming out with new grains formulas again. I know for dogs meat is very important, although they need a blend of things. Ferrets are obligate carnivores (they can only metabolize meat) and Orijen makes the best quality kibble I can get from them. So I guess I will pick one of the Acana lines and make the slow switch and take it from there. Thank you for the info!

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Yes...the company that makes both Orijen and Acana is Champion Foods. It's a Canadian company, but I believe now has a factory in Kentucky. I always think of Orijen as high octane, and Acana as a little less high fuel. Because Rottweilers are easy keepers, I tried to stick with the Acana line. With the Regional lines, I just changed variety with no problems. I did always have dog with good stomachs...and could add stuff like good leftovers, or yogurt, eggs,etc. if I had them in the fridge....with no problems. Some dogs cannot take that change quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found Orijen a bit much for Luc (GSD) so have shied away from it. We constantly switched between Acana flavours/formulations with no issue.
Thanks! I kept looking at the Orijen because the price difference made me wonder if it's really worth it for the difference in price. I bought a bag of Acana (and a bag of their treats) and got a 50% off for autoship at our local pet store. We still have a good amount of the Diamond Naturals left so I won't be switching right away, but we will have it on hand when it's time. I like the idea of the various proteins being switched up from bag to bag. I went with the Wholesome Grains.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You'll have to let us know how she likes it! Agis was suuuuuper picky as a puppy, we fed Fromm's (grain-inclusive), ran out at a cabin and the store in the nearest town didn't carry it - we had fed Acana previously for years, so we got some and Agis went NUTS. Never have had issues getting him to eat again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll have to let us know how she likes it! Agis was suuuuuper picky as a puppy, we fed Fromm's (grain-inclusive), ran out at a cabin and the store in the nearest town didn't carry it - we had fed Acana previously for years, so we got some and Agis went NUTS. Never have had issues getting him to eat again!
I certainly will! But she still has a decent amount of the old food to go through first. It wasn't supposed to be delivered until Monday and it showed up about an hour ago. If nothing else, the service was great! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts