Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one has posted here lately but wanted to see if I am doing the "adopting" thing wrong. You may have seen my other posts but...this is a difficult process. It takes so long and now it seems like you don't even get to kow whether they are considering you or if the dog will go to someone else while you wait. I really had no idea that this would be as difficult as it is proving to be.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Some times it is not easy to adopt a dog.There is screening and then finding the perfect match.

Hang in there.The perfect is just waiting for you.

Donna

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you ever get to adopt a Rottie? It's not easy, I can attest to that too. Okay, not just Rotties but any dog. Even Heinz 57 variety dogs go to very screened homes. *sigh* I understand why, but with the numbers of dogs needing homes, there likely needs to be some sort of national standard for all rescues. Maybe some sort of database or something.

I once had to MAKE A VIDEO of my house, family and myself so that a distant rescue org could decide on whether to adopt a GS to me. My son, bless his heart, is very computer savvy and put it together. To music. It was so cool. If only the poor dog was worth the effort! He turned out to be a severely deranged dog and I had to put him to sleep after he chewed me up, chewed up the behaviorist and tried to chew up the vet and the friends of mine who met him [and ran away]. I can almost laugh now but it was a nightmare. Note the rescue group wouldn't take my calls after I adopted him! I had to threaten litigation.

From now on, I'd just say, "Come on by and don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you". No more videos. Yeesh.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Volvo-rottie ... that member doesn't come here anymore. She did get a dog though. I was told about a dog in Washington DC that was listed on craigs list ( free stuff ) on a Ford Bronco site that I am a member of. They knew I may be able to find it a home so they sent me a link. I PMed mdmbfly and told her about the dog and she went and picked it up. It was a female with papers that was left in a crate. She got the dog after coming here for a month and once she got the dog she never came back. That is all I know

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Just noticed this post. I'm still here lurking, not as much as I once was but still here. Backed off of looking for a new friend b/c of being busywith kids and got a little disheartened. Juno is doing great! She's found a new four-legged friend and is having a blast. She really neededto be around another dog and is living the high life playing ALL day long! Filling out in lots of places that she didn't have muscles before. I still miss my Harley. Don't think I'll ever find another one that great!

I'm still here, just not as much. Take care.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a tough time getting my boy away from the Humane Society here in DC because he's not the fondest of males and it was a man who did his temperment test. When they got to the resource guarding portion where they put the fake hand in the bowl he growled, well we have a daughter and so they said we couldn't have him. We kept pushing though, got them to send someone out to evaluate us and our home, which was what really did it because the lady saw that we knew what we we're doing and that we could handle a resource guarder. Turned out he isn't really, guess he just didn't like that guy lol. I don't think most people keep trying after being told no, we also visited him at the shelter several times even though it's a 30-45 min drive from our house which makes a really good impression. Thankfully the DC Humane society dosen't make fenced yards mandatory, probably because no-one in the city limits has a yard much less a fence lol.

mdmbfly, glad you did get your dog though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts