Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Wondered if anyone out there had any experience with their rotts having both their puppy and adult canine in at the same time? My girl is 6 months and her adult canines seem to be pretty developed. And her puppy canines are still there right next next to them. They don’t seem to be loose as I keep checking. I’m encouraging her chewing on toys to see if they’ll loosen up, but nothing really yet. She’s set to be spayed in about 3 weeks, and assume the vet would pull them during that procedure. But I just feel bad because I know they’re bothering her right now. Anyone had that experience and any suggestions or thoughts? I wasn’t sure if it was something common to the breed and that they’ll work themselves out soon or not. But just curious on anyone that had experience with this.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Your girl is still young, and the puppy teeth may come out still? I would encourage her to eat and chew on a nice raw, beef marrow bone. Play tug with her with a rope toy..that seems to loosen up the puppy teeth. Is it all of her canine puppy teeth or just a couple?

One thing you may want to do some reading on is early spaying. Things have changed now for timing of spaying..especially in big breeds of dogs. The new protocol is to wait till your female pup has gone through at least one or two heats. She needs those sex hormones to complete her growth and it may help to prevent orthopedic problems and cancer in the future. If you wait till she's had one heat...she will be closer to a year...which is so much better for her health.
Here is one article...though there are numerous articles on the pros of waiting to spay. Going through one heat is a bit of a pain...but doable if you want to have a better chance of her being healthy. Many breeders now have it in their contracts that females cannot be spayed before 18 months, and males not till after 2 years of age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts