Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 mth female pup and since I got her she has a weird gait.. Bunny hop.. All classic signs of hip issues.. I was told to adjust her diet which I did.. She's on the slimmer side now.
My concern is that I've been told she'll grow out of it.. But I had an xray done and there's abnormal acetabelum growth.. Her R hip joint is not sitting properly in the socket.. My vet said surgery after a year.. Yet folks are saying its a phase she'll grow out of..
She has sooooo much energy and tries to keep up with my other dogs but tires after a while.. I have her on supplements etc... Is there any advice on what I can do in addition?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I would not panic right now. She's still young, and there are things that can be done that will help her. She is growing and gaining weight quickly, and the most important thing right now is to make sure she grows slow and steady. What food is she eating?? I would not be feeding her puppy food. She would probably be better off on a Large Breed Adult food...and to keep her slim. How much does she weigh now? At 5 months she should be about 45- 50 lbs I would not be allowing her to jump up, or jump off of things (like getting into a truck or SUV), or jumping up into the air to catch ball or Frisbee, etc. No wrestling and running with your other dogs for now either.

There is a chance that her hip will improve. If it does not then wait till she matures. Does she whine and limp trying to get up after laying down?? That is a sign she is in pain and stiff. Some dogs have terrible hips, and you would never know it, some dogs have have marginal hips and limp and are in pain. As she grows and matures you will have to see how things go. I would make sure she is taking glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM ...it's sold in this combo at the health food store for humans, also I would make sure she is taking wild salmon oil .
Let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you soooo much for replying so quickly. She's fed purina large breed puppy and occasionally canned meat, apple.. Pumpkin.. Blueberries.. Carrots.. Yogurt.. I mix the fruit and veggies on a daily basis. I add hip and joint supplements with chondrotin glucosamine and MSM.. Tumeric.. And mussel powder.
I try not to give her painkillers unless she's in alot of pain.. I use Carprofen.. She weighs 51lbs. I try as much to keep her quiet but sometimes I feel that she does not feel pain especially when she zips around by herself.. Eventually she tires out..
My vet said it looks like FHO surgery when she's a year so I'm taking a day at a time..
She is picked up when she has to go in the van and sometimes when I'm not looking she jumps on the couch. Is there anything besides swimming to build muscle?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
What country do you live in? First thing I would do is get her on a better diet. Purina Large Breed Puppy is a grain based diet. You need to get her on a meat based diet....a kibble that contains more meat then grains. I would also try feeding her raw chicken feet...which has natural glucosamine in it. If her hip gets worse...then FHO is a good choice...but I would just let her grow for now...things change...and develop. Swimming is the best thing....but also short more frequent bursts of exercise. I would not be throwing a ball for her....quick starts and stops are hard on her developing hips.
I would also delay to spay her...she needs the hormones to develop properly...wait to spay till after she has had at least a heat or better two....then when she is spayed have them take another x-ray.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that information.. I wanted to start her on taste of the wild that I use for my other dogs but the breeder advised using purina large breed.. Im looking into starting her on a raw food diet... To have her more lean.. But i will try the chicken feet.. She is such a loving energetic pup and I just want her to have the best quality of life.. I'm from Trinidad and Tobago in answer to your first question
Any exercise besides swimming or something to build muscle?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Well...your breeder also produced a puppy with hip dysplasia...so I would not be worried about using a higher quality food. Did the sire and dam have hip and elbow clearances?? Raw is good...but when you are growing out a puppy....you need to make sure that the raw diet is complete and balanced. You only have one chance to grow out a puppy right. That's why I asked you what food you were feeding....that food could be one of the reasons that her bones and joints are not growing properly.
Swimming is about the only exercise that is low impact that will help her to develop muscle. You could try walking her on small inclines...and always make sure to walk her on grass or sand...stay away from cement or pavement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sire cleared.. Dam mild.. Her past litters were ok according to breeder.. He told me that he will give me another pup from different parents.. I've researched raw food and balancing muscle organs bone veggies etc but I agree its only once to grow a pup.. So far she's 22"- 23" in height and 51lbs.. But I'm making sure she's not overweight.. Rib check etc... She lovesssss to eat so I keep her on a strict portion.. I will try some hill walks with her.. Short of course
I attached the X-ray she did about 3wks ago

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Why would this breeder be breeding a female with mild hip dysplasia??? There are only 3 scores of hips that are acceptable to breed with..Excellent/Good/Fair . Mild/Moderate/Severe are considered dysplastic . Honestly...if this breeder is using a dysplastic dog for breeding...I would NOT take another pup from her even though they will not be the same sire and dam. What does sire cleared mean??? The breeder should be having x-rays done at 2 years of age on all of her breeding dogs for hip and elbows. Elbow dysplasia is even worse!! The x-rays can then be sent to OFA for a proper score that will be available for the public to look at. www.ofa.org

If a pup is already having problems at 5 months of age....it's not a good sign. I would wait to do anything such as surgery and see how her growth goes. The most important thing is for her to gain weight slowly....no big gains of weight quickly. If she is a bit thin...it would probably be better. It gives the muscles, joints and ligaments a chance to catch up with the growth and weight gain. If she is 51 lbs at 5 months....that is already the size of a male puppy. Females should weigh less and are smaller.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
That x-ray of the hip is just awful!! :( There is no socket for the ball of the hip to go into!! I would suspect an FHO will be the only way to make her comfortable. The other hip is not great either....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its unfortunate yes.. I can only see how best I can alleviate her pain until surgery.. I sent pics of the X-ray to the breeder and he said that vets are just hurry to diagnose hip dysplasia and its just for the dog to grow out of it... When she was just two months I noticed her gait and told him.. He said it was due to her diet 😪
Since birth she was the biggest of the litter and the only female.. At present she's fed about 4 cups of kibble a day.. Sometimes less.. And she's still that weight.. Should I decrease?
I looked forward for a female Rott for a long time.. Its a pity she has to go through this. Is there a public site where I can check the ED and HD history if I have the dog's registered name?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Its unfortunate yes.. I can only see how best I can alleviate her pain until surgery.. I sent pics of the X-ray to the breeder and he said that vets are just hurry to diagnose hip dysplasia and its just for the dog to grow out of it... When she was just two months I noticed her gait and told him.. He said it was due to her diet 😪
Since birth she was the biggest of the litter and the only female.. At present she's fed about 4 cups of kibble a day.. Sometimes less.. And she's still that weight.. Should I decrease?
I looked forward for a female Rott for a long time.. Its a pity she has to go through this. Is there a public site where I can check the ED and HD history if I have the dog's registered name?
The breeder is full of BS!! Any person with half a brain can see that that hip is just terrible...you don't need to be a vet to see this. I doubt this severe HD would be caused by diet...it was most probably caused because he used a female in his breeding program that was dysplagic. If it were me...I would try to get the cost of the puppy that you paid, back from the breeder and put the money towards paying your pups future vet bills. Forget about dealing with this breeder again.

In Canada and USA breeders go to their own vet to have hip and elbows x-rayed at the age of two if they plan on using their dogs for breeding. The x-rays are digital and the vet sends them to OFA (for a fee) and they have 3 special vets that read the x-rays and give their opinion of what grade they give the hips and elbows. The results are then put on the OFA website, where if you know the dogs Registered name, or their AKC or CKC registration number...you can look it up on the OFA site. Go to www.ofa.org and do some reading...there's lots of information there.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
This is Shebha.. Btw are you a breeder?
You seem very knowledgeable about Rotties.
Shebha is a cutie...but it could be the picture??she looks a bit chunky??
No, I'm not a breeder. I have had Rottweilers for the last 25 years....some very well bred, and some rescues that I fostered and ended up adopting. My very first Rottweiler (Bruno) all those years ago was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at around 7-8 months of age. I knew from about 5 months of age...that something was not right. He bunny hopped when he ran, he tired easily...he never jumped up on us, or even tried to jump on furniture. He was often stiff after exercise and laying down...getting up he was stiff till he walked it off. When he lay down he often layed on his back with his feet up...leaning against a wall. He was also oversized...and a HUGE Rottweiler at 147 lbs. That was keeping him slim as best we could. I really studied and tried to help him...as best we could with supplements and he also got cartrophen injections and took Metacam for pain...and he ate a raw diet. He was just too big to do a FHO on...both hips were lousy. 25 years ago they did not do THR...and we would not have been able to afford it anyway. We let him go at around 6 years of age...when nothing much was helping and he was not having a good quality of life. :(

·
Registered
384 Posts
One thing - our vet (our 13 year old is arthritic) has told us in the past there's something different about the glucosamine in most dog-centered formulas then in the human stuff you get at the drug store. I don't remember what though, and it may have changed.

Anyways, for our 13 year old, we ordered Cosequin off Amazon. Too soon to see if it is making a difference, but I know it's a well-established brand. Apparently only around 50% of people/dogs etc respond to glucosamine, but it's worth trialling. Our vet said to give it 6-8 months.

We also give fish oil, have their whole lives pretty well. It's supposed to help joints too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So sorry to hear about Bruno 😭 but there is so much you can try.. All you can do is look out for the best happy life you can give them.. You are right.. That breeder, even though he's held in high esteem in the Rott community is doing some shady BS.. He told me he'll give me another pup from another litter but I think its best I get a refund and look elsewhere I I need to..
She's on the slimmer side.. Probably its the pic.. I'm gonna try raw food and I'm waiting on Cosequin to arrive.. I'm trying whatever I can to make sure she's pain free..
She's still trying to jump up on bed and couch as much as I try to discourage it.. But I guess its a good sign that she's still up to it..
I really appreciate all the advice though.. Its refreshing to know people who have a genuine interest and an animal's welfare at heart ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing - our vet (our 13 year old is arthritic) has told us in the past there's something different about the glucosamine in most dog-centered formulas then in the human stuff you get at the drug store. I don't remember what though, and it may have changed.

Anyways, for our 13 year old, we ordered Cosequin off Amazon. Too soon to see if it is making a difference, but I know it's a well-established brand. Apparently only around 50% of people/dogs etc respond to glucosamine, but it's worth trialling. Our vet said to give it 6-8 months.

We also give fish oil, have their whole lives pretty well. It's supposed to help joints too.
Did your 13 year old have HD?..
Thanks.. I'm trying as much as I can with Shebha 🙂.. She's a beautiful strong girl who is ready to take on the world irregardless of her hips.. So keeping her on the quiet side has its challenges 😆

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did your 13 year old have HD?..
Thanks.. I'm trying as much as I can with Shebha 🙂.. She's a beautiful strong girl who is ready to take on the world irregardless of her hips.. So keeping her on the quiet side has its challenges 😆
Not HD, but I think the glucosamine would be used in the same way, which is why I mentioned it. Dogs with hip dysplasia generally develop arthritis (which is what our 13 year old has cosequin for). We had a German Shepherd who had hip dysplasia, and we gave her glucosamine among other things.

She sounds like a smart girl and full of fun! It can be hard to keep them quiet when they're like that. Our GSD with hip dysplasia was like that too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shebha is a cutie...but it could be the picture??she looks a bit chunky??
No, I'm not a breeder. I have had Rottweilers for the last 25 years....some very well bred, and some rescues that I fostered and ended up adopting. My very first Rottweiler (Bruno) all those years ago was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at around 7-8 months of age. I knew from about 5 months of age...that something was not right. He bunny hopped when he ran, he tired easily...he never jumped up on us, or even tried to jump on furniture. He was often stiff after exercise and laying down...getting up he was stiff till he walked it off. When he lay down he often layed on his back with his feet up...leaning against a wall. He was also oversized...and a HUGE Rottweiler at 147 lbs. That was keeping him slim as best we could. I really studied and tried to help him...as best we could with supplements and he also got cartrophen injections and took Metacam for pain...and he ate a raw diet. He was just too big to do a FHO on...both hips were lousy. 25 years ago they did not do THR...and we would not have been able to afford it anyway. We let him go at around 6 years of age...when nothing much was helping and he was not having a good quality of life. :(
I'm trying to get unto ofa. org but nothing is available.. Any other site?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Not sure why?? It works for me. Try again.https://www.ofa.org/
There is no other organization that has such an open website for the public. Just do a google search for ' Orthopedic Foundation for Animals' and it should take you to the website.

What is the registered name of your dog? Is your dog AKC or CKC registered or the sire and dam have registration numbers or papers??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts