Rottweilers Online Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not sure why?? It works for me. Try again.https://www.ofa.org/
There is no other organization that has such an open website for the public. Just do a google search for ' Orthopedic Foundation for Animals' and it should take you to the website.

What is the registered name of your dog? Is your dog AKC or CKC registered or the sire and dam have registration numbers or papers??
This is Shebha's parents:
Ackbarforce Cassius - Sire
Von Kam Vica Bonita - Dam

Googled.. Retried.. Nothing

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I'm not sure I'm reading the pedigree right??? But I think your pup's dam and the sire are father and daughter?? This is inbreeding! I have to go check on that again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not sure I'm reading the pedigree right??? But I think your pup's dam and the sire are father and daughter?? This is inbreeding! I have to go check on that again.
What???!!!!
Oh goodness!!
I hope that's not the case.. But I appreciate the effort🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Did you not get the pedigree of your pup when you bought her? Did you get registration papers? This will tell you if your pup came from a daughter/father breeding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looking at the sites you list it appears that the female came from Chavez of Aristorotts and Tinkerbell Von Kam's so the sire being Akbarforce Cassius means no inbreeding at that level / degree?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I checked the registration paper.. Not inbred.. Her mom's parents are the same dogs that he's breeding at the moment and offered to give me a pup from.. I don't know if its a good idea

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Looking at the sites you list it appears that the female came from Chavez of Aristorotts and Tinkerbell Von Kam's so the sire being Akbarforce Cassius means no inbreeding at that level / degree?
Yup no inbreeding.. Thanks for checking in🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
OK..good! That pedigree site has so many pop-up and ads I probably looked at it wrong. :( I'm not understanding how a "breeder" could do the same breeding over again...when they know they have produced at least one pup with such severe hip dysplasia??? The dam should NOT be used ever again...she should have never been bred.:(

It's up to you on what you want to do...but honestly you have a pup with HD...what if you get another pup with HD or ED?? Your pup is still very young...do you know what kind of future she is going to have???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I agree!!!... I've not approached the breeder to get a refund yet.. Since I told him what was going on with pup he immediately said he'll give another pup.. But I should avoid getting another pup from him.. Mainly because I don't know what I'll get😪..
I hope he does not give problems to return the money..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is there a process if this happens in the States or Canada?
Where a pup has abnormalities or issues.. What does the breeder do?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
In Canada or USA, no decent ethical breeder would have bred their female that has hip dysplasia or any other health problem that could be passed down to puppies she produced...same with the male. The breeder would have spayed the female and found her a good loving home to be spoiled as a pet/companion.

In North America most breeders have a contract which both sellers and buyers agree on. Most often there is a health part of the contract that if the dog develops severe health conditions in the next 24 months or 3 years (or whatever has been agreed on)...then buyer can return puppy for a full refund, or partial refund,etc. Every breeder has their own contract. Most breeders allow you to read and understand the contract before you put a deposit down on the upcoming litter. Ethical breeders want to do right by their puppy...they have their reputation to keep, and want the buyer to be happy.

It sounds like you did not do your research before you got your puppy. You should have known who the sire and dam of the litter were that you were buying and been able to look up the hip and elbow clearances before you bought the puppy. That's why knowing the pedigree is so important.

Now, you have your pup and I know that you will love her, and try to do what is best for her. Adding another puppy from the same breeder would most probably not be the right thing to do. Your pup does not need another puppy to be bouncing and hurting her. ...or you could end up with two pups with serious health problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Breeders in our country are not disciplined and straightforward as I would like unfortunately.. It's more of a business industry than a welfare for the dog's well being.. 😢.. Imagine I have a registered GSD 5 years old and I spent three of those years constantly badgering the breeder for his registration papers.. He "lost" it about 3 times and had to apply to the kennel club again and again.. And kept asking me if I'm breeding the dog and that's why I need papers... Totally ridiculous!!!!
Imagine having to get other people involved to get the registration finally... Very unprofessional!!.. And that's just the tip of the iceberg of problems many people go through with breeders.. Lies.. Deceit.. Its sad that I got caught.
As for breeder contracts upon purchase.. That's VERY RARE if at all a practice here.. Our kennel club is very inefficient when it comes to putting protocols in place and adhering to it🙄😪.. Even though they are the governing body.. I admire animal care, rescue and welfare in many other countries.. There are a few groups who are involved in animal rescue but they get very little support and more restrictions.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi, I just want to add my girl Bella, now 10 yrs 2 mos. is and always has been a bunny hopper and has weak hips but has never been in severe distress from it to need surgery. Her main issue at her age is some arthritis in one knee but it is clear that one of her legs is weaker than the other. Sorry your puppy is going through this. I'd listen to the advice here, there is a lot of experience and knowledge in these Rottweiler owners who post here. I've learned a lot.

My Bella is still full of energy and very strong at her age. Here's how I've handled her joint issues:
  • I have always supplemented with turmeric and in the past couple of years added CDB.
  • She has also taken hip and joint supplements for years.
  • She loves massages. I give her massages with my hands or a massage stick, especially focusing on that back end and the weak leg and hips.
  • I will sometimes put a heating pad on her hips and knee at a low to med setting not real hot if she seems to be moving slowly after overdoing it outside running around the backyard. Heat brings blood flow which aids in healing.
  • I do my best to keep her from making huge leaps because I know a hard landing can do some real damage.
  • If she shows signs of being in pain I do have prescription pain pills Novox to give her but I do so very sparingly because I know they can cause kidney failure if used daily.
  • Oh, and I switched her to a mostly raw diet a few years back and it has helped to keep her weight under control which is really important, especially if there are joint issues.
Anyway hope I was able to give you some tips that you may find helpful. Best of luck to you. I hope you two have a long and happy relationship.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi, I just want to add my girl Bella, now 10 yrs 2 mos. is and always has been a bunny hopper and has weak hips but has never been in severe distress from it to need surgery. Her main issue at her age is some arthritis in one knee but it is clear that one of her legs is weaker than the other. Sorry your puppy is going through this. I'd listen to the advice here, there is a lot of experience and knowledge in these Rottweiler owners who post here. I've learned a lot.

My Bella is still full of energy and very strong at her age. Here's how I've handled her joint issues:
  • I have always supplemented with turmeric and in the past couple of years added CDB.
  • She has also taken hip and joint supplements for years.
  • She loves massages. I give her massages with my hands or a massage stick, especially focusing on that back end and the weak leg and hips.
  • I will sometimes put a heating pad on her hips and knee at a low to med setting not real hot if she seems to be moving slowly after overdoing it outside running around the backyard. Heat brings blood flow which aids in healing.
  • I do my best to keep her from making huge leaps because I know a hard landing can do some real damage.
  • If she shows signs of being in pain I do have prescription pain pills Novox to give her but I do so very sparingly because I know they can cause kidney failure if used daily.
  • Oh, and I switched her to a mostly raw diet a few years back and it has helped to keep her weight under control which is really important, especially if there are joint issues.
Anyway hope I was able to give you some tips that you may find helpful. Best of luck to you. I hope you two have a long and happy relationship.
Hiiiii... YES!!.. Great advice!!!
I started Shebha early on tumeric and mussel powder and joint supplements and Hemp.. She's soo full of energy and I have to literally run her down to keep her from rushing around.. With the jumping she gets assistance to go in vehicle and on bed.. She still jumps on couch when I'm not around.. The hardest part for her is the getting up from long sitting periods.. Otherwise she's up and about.. I massage her whenever I could and she's loving it.. Stretches out and relaxes 😆.. As to her diet.. I started raw foods to maintain weight and build muscle.. Its hard for her because food is never enough and I monitor her daily intake.. So she feels like she's not getting enough food 😂.. She's an eater and tries get in the other doggies bowls.. My vet said surgery is an option only if pain is unbearable but if she seems to be managing I can hold off... She's almost 6months so I'm keeping a check until she's mature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 5 mth female pup and since I got her she has a weird gait.. Bunny hop.. All classic signs of hip issues.. I was told to adjust her diet which I did.. She's on the slimmer side now.
My concern is that I've been told she'll grow out of it.. But I had an xray done and there's abnormal acetabelum growth.. Her R hip joint is not sitting properly in the socket.. My vet said surgery after a year.. Yet folks are saying its a phase she'll grow out of..
She has sooooo much energy and tries to keep up with my other dogs but tires after a while.. I have her on supplements etc... Is there any advice on what I can do in addition?
If you have a pool or a friend does, put a swim vest on her and take her in with you to swim. Great way to burn off energy, low stress on hips.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hiiiii... YES!!.. Great advice!!!
I started Shebha early on tumeric and mussel powder and joint supplements and Hemp.. She's soo full of energy and I have to literally run her down to keep her from rushing around.. With the jumping she gets assistance to go in vehicle and on bed.. She still jumps on couch when I'm not around.. The hardest part for her is the getting up from long sitting periods.. Otherwise she's up and about.. I massage her whenever I could and she's loving it.. Stretches out and relaxes 😆.. As to her diet.. I started raw foods to maintain weight and build muscle.. Its hard for her because food is never enough and I monitor her daily intake.. So she feels like she's not getting enough food 😂.. She's an eater and tries get in the other doggies bowls.. My vet said surgery is an option only if pain is unbearable but if she seems to be managing I can hold off... She's almost 6months so I'm keeping a check until she's mature.
You just reminded me of one more thing. I have rugs on any hard surface floors for her to lay on in the living room and dining room. It makes such a difference. She struggles to get up off tile. Best wishes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Great idea about rug will try.. Because I do have tiles and she skates.. On the carpet however she's much more mobile...
With regards to pool.. I'm looking into getting an above ground one especially for her exercise.. Thanks again guys 😊

21 - 40 of 42 Posts