Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I think we've done three trips I haven't updated on!

Frontenac Backpacking
Halloween weekend, Agis and I went camping to Frontenac Provincial Park, about 3 hours east of Toronto. Because I get tired driving early in the morning, we went Friday after work and hiked in the dark to a campsite about 1k from the trailhead. The drive took forever thanks to traffic on a major highway. Ugh.

We had fun, Agis had a bully stick while I set up camp. Rained overnight - no problem.

I have gained a lot of weight thanks to a bipolar medication. So I am always hoping I'll lose weight and not wanting to spend a lot of money on really good rain gear.

But it's not like AWFUL rain gear. I thought.

Anyways, rained as we were hiking to the next night's site, about 8k away. Rained pretty hard, Agis does not like the rain, but he did remarkably well. Put a rain jacket on him to try to reduce the whole 'wet dog in a tent' thing. I started feeling wet as we were hiking. Got to camp, no good place to put up a tarp, so I did the best I could and was boiling water to make a pot of tea. Took off my rain jacket and my shirt was soaked through. Same with my pants. Rain was blowing in under the tarp so once I'd made the tea decided to put up the tent as Agis was miserable and I wanted out of the rain.

Now - I got a wool anorak for Christmas, but early so I could use it. Toby insisted I bring it this trip, even though it does not pack down (it's basically thick felted wool) and I thought he was dumb, but it let me set up the tent and stopped me from getting any wetter.

We go into the tent, I change into my dry sleeping clothes and leave the anorak on. I'm freezing. So is Agis. I had my sleeping quilt wrapped around me and was still cold. Agis was shivering so I put the quilt around him. Started worrying about hypothermia.

We eventually warm up, the rain stops, go out to make dinner. Rain starts again after I'd ate so back in we went.

Hiked out in my sleeping clothes which were thick and too hot but at least they were dry.

Frontenac is tick country, and it was warm enough the ticks were active. It has a high lyme ticks too. Get home, Toby does a tick check - nothing. Shower and scrub extra hard. The only clothes I wore the same were my panties. Going to bed, I find a tick on my stomach and one on my collar bone. Neither was on me for longer than six hours, and it's 24-36 you've got to worry about lyme transmission. Still. Super gross.

Algonquin Car Camping Remembrance Day Weekend
I had Remembrance Day off, so Agis and I left the night before and I took Friday off for a 4-day weekend.

I brought our winter tent, which is new to me, and thank goodness I had set it up at home before I tried to set it up in the dark when we arrived. A bit unusual in the set up which in the dark would have frustrated me. I've set up a lot of tents and this one was weird.

Agis barked the whole time I was setting up (he was on a tie out) and as soon as I was done he wandered off to chew on a stick 馃え

We had a nice fire, had good fires the whole trip. Rained off and on, but I'd bought some good goretex gear so was fine. Agis had fun hiking and walking. We were car camping instead of backpacking as my ankles are a bit messed up. Thursday was Remembrance Day and we paused at 11 on our hike. My grandpa served in WW2 and my dad was in the airforce.

Algonquin Car Camping Trip 2 (Last Weekend)
Did a 3-day trip last weekend. I find they really help my mood, getting out of the city.

We stayed in a different site. Decent weather, a bit of snow my last night. Due to my ankles Agis didn't get a lot of exercise, though we went a blueberry field for fetch which thanks to my erratic throwing meant Agis got some nose work in searching for the ball.

On a walk through the campground, there's a whole row that's all hot tents. I see a group of four women in anoraks, once the same as I have, so stopped to chat. Turns out it's a group of 50-odd women who came up to camp together. We chat hot tents and camping and then I wander off. They invited me back for a fire but I had lots of wood and just wanted to chill on my own with Agis.

Friday on our way to the outhouse we pass a site with a reactive collie on a tie out - no problem, it's on a tie out. Good chance for Agis to practice turning the other cheek. Saturday we're going by and the dog was loose (because when you've got a reactive dog, and you know there's another dog in the vicinity, why not leave yours loose. So it bounds out, barking, stops 1.5m away from us barking. The owners are ineffectually calling it. Eventually they come to get it. Agis barked back, I told him hush, but couldn't really blame him. Let him stay standing, wasn't going to make him sit in a confrontation like that. Maybe that was wrong, but I was irritated. On the way back Agis was a bit focused on the other dog so we did 'leave it'.

And, I found an outhouse that was closer that didn't have any dogs to pass. Heh.

http://instagr.am/p/CWJKheRrgfD/
http://instagr.am/p/CWJK8liDQFk/
http://instagr.am/p/CWLujusjJCK/
http://instagr.am/p/CWf9vcRrQpi/
http://instagr.am/p/CWinPJ1jhgW/

Super Moderator
Thanks for the camping adventures! I have to say you are WAY more adventurous then I have ever been. I'm a fair-weather camper. I don't mind tent camping...but it's got to be in warm weather. Setting up a tent in the dark and hiking to camping spot in the dark would just about kill me...LOL Is that it for camping for you this year? or is there more winter camping coming up?? Between the cold, wet, and ticks....sitting in the recliner watching t.v. sounds good!:D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I used to winter camp regularly. But I started finding I wasn't enjoying it on my own without a dog buddy. So I had really hoped Agis would like the winter and so far he seems to do so. And I'm really finding it's helping with my mental health and mood.

Car camping in Algonquin with a friend December 3-5 - she's got a Husky and a Husky/Malamute, so fingers crossed they all get along. We're in sites across from each other.

Then one 3-day trip in early January, one in February, and a 3-day backcountry trip in early March (by which time I hope Agis is pulling the pulk like a champ so I don't have to haha). And we are going to the cabins just outside Algonquin January/February for 15 days. I love the winter!

Super Moderator
You probably love the winter because you live in the city and have very little snow. We had close to a foot of fresh snow yesterday and overnight. It is pretty, and looks very festive with the sun shining and the trees full of snow. I just get tired of it by January....LOL

Let us know how your winter camping goes, and I hope Agis is pulling the pulk like a champ for you. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funnily enough, I hate winter in the city. Snow never lasts, it turns to ice (heaven forbid people shovel) or people put down just a crazy amount of salt. It's ice, salt, or slush.

I heard you guys were getting a lot.

I will update for sure! I think skijoring with him has hopefully laid a foundation of that. Bit late to teaching him it, but with COVID, last winter was a write-off.

Registered
Funnily enough, I hate winter in the city. Snow never lasts, it turns to ice (heaven forbid people shovel) or people put down just a crazy amount of salt. It's ice, salt, or slush.

I heard you guys were getting a lot.

I will update for sure! I think skijoring with him has hopefully laid a foundation of that. Bit late to teaching him it, but with COVID, last winter was a write-off.
Thanks for the great stories. I must commend you, as you are brave doing that on your own, but thats what adventures are about. What a great bit of bonding for you and Agis too

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @Dj86! I have 3-odd decades of experience camping, but it definitely is different on your own. Sadly Toby doesn't like winter camping (he came with me once when we were first dating). Cabins in winter? Yes. Winter camping? Nope. Just as well as I feel like winter camping would kill Xerxes the Attack Beagle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha yeah
Toby came once and never again eh? :LOL:
Pretty much haha!!!!! My mom was like 'geez, he MUST like you'. I remember, I had trouble falling asleep the first night and he was snoring away next to me and I have never wanted to punch someone before. I was like AUGH I CAN'T SLEEP!

...now I snore too, so we're equal. Heh. Agis snores as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts