Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We store our summer wheels/tires at Toby's mom's place (a town/suburb west of Toronto - Oakville, for BBD). She's had her first shot. So we went out there today to change our tires and brought the dogs so she and I could take them for a walk while Toby did the tires.

Our nieces and nephew all live there, and Toby's sister (one niece) lives across the street from his mom. She and our eldest niece wanted to see the dogs, so we all went for a walk while Toby did the wheels. All masked of course.

First we stopped by a friend of Toby's mom's, who had just become a grandparent and who had a newspaper for Toby's mom. I put Agis in a sit and stayed by the sidewalk with him, he sat there for a good 10 minutes without moving.

He was very good about sitting when he met people, and was GREAT with the kids. They hadn't seen him in around 15 months I think - December 2019?...a very different dog. I didn't let them hold his leash, because he's so strong. But they walked the other two and that was good. Then we sat in Toby's mom's backyard and Agis played fetch with our eldest niece (12 years old). Toby's mom kept saying what a good boy he was.

We haven't had prolonged contact with 'strangers' for months, so I was really pleased too, that that went well. Gotta love a pre-COVID puppy that grew up in 2020! He's 19 months now.

And Xerxes (our beagle) got to chase a squirrel on leash that he treed and bayed at, which was a big hit with the girls (11 and 12).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job with the training !!
Honestly - there is a daycare in the unit next to our apartment, and he's a bit hit or miss - especially with jumping up (my husband likes it, so he doesn't have a solid understanding of not jumping), so I was very happy he was so good with the kids yesterday.

Nice too Toby's mom liked him - when we adopted him she was like 'Oh no, not a Rottweiler mix!!!!' She's quite relaxed about dogs, her dad was a country vet in England - but it also means she has ideas about what sorts of dogs are nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Sounds like you had a good visit, and all went well with the family and the dogs. It is hard not to want your expectations to be too high...and relief when all goes well.:) Family can sometimes be one of our harshest critics.

We took off our snow tires yesterday....not sure if that is a good thing? or bad??? LOL I still have the snow shovel sitting on the deck...we are due for a bit of snow on April 1st!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toby's mom was horrified we'd gotten an 'aggressive' dog, so it was SO nice for her to see what a sweet boy he is!

Oh I know, the weather - we maybe should've held off too. It's always the way though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts