Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skijoring is nordic skiing with your dogs. I want to train Agis to 'hike' and pull, but I've mostly been working on loose leash walking so he doesn't particularly know the hike command.

We are up north near Algonquin for 16 days in a cabin. It's been my plan to start skijoring with Agis, though not going far (no more than 3-5k) as he's still growing.

I didn't want to drive into the park as the only place there he can ski is 40k away - but I think I probably will at some point. Today we skijored on the lake. It rained yesterday then snowed so there was deep wet heavy snow and slush in my tracks on the way back. Lots of ice, I wasn't worried about that, but it was slow going breaking trail, and I am slow at the best of times.

On the way out Agis mostly just played beside/behind me, but on the way back he pulled/'hiked'. He seemed to like the established track to follow which I found interesting as he loves to burrow in the snow - and that's what he did on the way out!

From my terrible YouTube channel...

https://youtu.be/8H-tSXZvUxU

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Well done Agis!! Yes, that wet, heavy snow makes it hard work. Hopefully things will freeze up...and the going gets easier?
Have fun, and enjoy your time away from the city!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's funny how some dogs like to pull and others don't. We had a lab mix who would pull the kids on a sled all over the yard. She liked it so much we got her a real sled dog harness so she wouldn't get hurt pulling with whatever weird leash & rope jerry-rigged contraption we came up with the first couple of tries. Her pack mate/"sister" (sheltie mix) absolutely refused to pull anything behind her. And hated harnesses!! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! We've gone skijoring twice more and have had a great time - but this time on groomed rail trail that's trackset (that dogs are allowed on) so it's way easier for both of us. Agis is definitely getting the idea and coming with me, though not always pulling - but it's fun to have him along and we're getting it (a longer tow line would help, oops).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B71VfhZnwOi/

Agis seems to like to pull which is great, whew! Our second skijor was 5.22k and yesterday we did 4k. Going to rest him today (I have a pulled muscle in my back and bronchitis...well, I may go for a little ski at some point, but by myself). Tomorrow I'd like to get him out for a good ski again! He loves it!

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Groomed trail makes it look more fun. He's doing really well !! Take it easy with the pulled muscle and bronchitis...you need to rest up. What do your other dogs think of the snow and the fun?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Great job Agis!

Our chihuahua loves to pull us around if he could! I keep him in a harness because when he was walking in a collar he would wear out the hair on his neck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBD, Neb generally loves the snow, but he's almost 12 now and while he's still up for running around if it's really cold it hurts his feet. The past couple of days have been around -25C at night so bedtime potty and morning potty he's a bit ouchie with his feet.

Xerxes loves the snow and comes running with me, but he HATES the cold. He's got very little body fat though - definitely in good shape, elite athlete body (unlike me hahaha) - so I think that contributes.

Thanks Steph! Aww at your Chi. Yeah, probably hard to have him pull you - but that's awesome he tries!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts