Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got DNA tests for the dogs. Not Embark as with shipping to/from Canada it was getting too expensive.

I did DNA My Dog which since we just did it for fun was fine. It gives ranges for breed DNA so isn't as precise as Embark that way.

When we adopted Agis, we were told he was a GSD/Rottweiler mix.

Instead, he is...drumroll please...

-40-60% Lab
-10-25% Great Pyrenees
-10-25% Mastiff
-1-9% Bull Mastiff

I laughed hysterically.

Anyways, as I no longer have a Rott mix...still allowed?

I am still laughing at his DNA results. MASTIFFS!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I got DNA tests for the dogs. Not Embark as with shipping to/from Canada it was getting too expensive.

I did DNA My Dog which since we just did it for fun was fine. It gives ranges for breed DNA so isn't as precise as Embark that way.

When we adopted Agis, we were told he was a GSD/Rottweiler mix.

Instead, he is...drumroll please...

-40-60% Lab
-10-25% Great Pyrenees
-10-25% Mastiff
-1-9% Bull Mastiff

I laughed hysterically.

Anyways, as I no longer have a Rott mix...still allowed?

I am still laughing at his DNA results. MASTIFFS!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA
Don't be silly! What would we do without you
and Agis, Not to mention "the attack Beagle" haha. Great to hear though, very interesting

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! :) That reminds me I need to give you updates on our camping trips!

It was interesting. I chatted with the DNA place to find out what kind of Mastiff (English) as well as the Bullmastiff of course, and mentioned I thought it was hilarious given at his proper weight he's ~50-55lbs. They were saying some Labs are that small and that he may have just inherited the size gene from that side. Certainly it's mostly what he is.

Yes, Xerxes the Attack Beagle lol...he was 61-99% Beagle, and 10-25% Border Collie, which we did NOT expect at all. He's a bit tall for a Beagle, but is also VERY slender and has a narrow muzzle so looks like a weird Beagle. A Beagle, but a weird one.

Nebbers turned out to be 40-60% Parson Russell Terrier. 10-25% Siberian Husky. 10-25% Lab. 1-9% American Eskimo Dog (what a bad name for a breed). I was told his mom (who I saw - really weird looking dog) was a Husky/Beagle/Lab, dad unknown. So he's no Beagle, and when I first had him I had thought he was part Terrier, but a bigger Terrier.

All in all I got a big kick out them.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Awwww....Agis! Of course you are allowed to stay. I always thought Agis looked more like Lab/Pit mix. The brindle from the Pit and his size. Whatever he is, and I think that some of the Mastiff stuff is kinda strange....he's the best dog for you. :)

Reactions: Dj86

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awwww....Agis! Of course you are allowed to stay. I always thought Agis looked more like Lab/Pit mix. The brindle from the Pit and his size. Whatever he is, and I think that some of the Mastiff stuff is kinda strange....he's the best dog for you. :)
Thanks BBD! I was not surprised at the Lab. The Mastiff and Bullmastiff made me laugh and laugh. They would explain the brindle.

I had emailed them to say what kind of Mastiff (English apparently; even funnier) and said, hey, at his size...they were like 'I would say he inherited the Lab size gene'. You don't say.

I honestly don't know much about Mastiffs. There's one in the building that is not friendly, and at its size...but we've met a decent amount out on walks that are lovely dogs. English Mastiffs from what I can tell are easy going, whereas Bullmastiffs are not.

Two weeks ago when we camped in Algonquin there was a guy with a Bullmastiff next to us - I had gone over to ask him if he had a car ice scraper - I couldn't find ours (did eventually, who knew the under boot went back that far!) - and the dog definitely alerted to me. Good looking dog.

Speaking of which, I shall update on our camping trips!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks BBD! I was not surprised at the Lab. The Mastiff and Bullmastiff made me laugh and laugh. They would explain the brindle.

I had emailed them to say what kind of Mastiff (English apparently; even funnier) and said, hey, at his size...they were like 'I would say he inherited the Lab size gene'. You don't say.

I honestly don't know much about Mastiffs. There's one in the building that is not friendly, and at its size...but we've met a decent amount out on walks that are lovely dogs. English Mastiffs from what I can tell are easy going, whereas Bullmastiffs are not.

Two weeks ago when we camped in Algonquin there was a guy with a Bullmastiff next to us - I had gone over to ask him if he had a car ice scraper - I couldn't find ours (did eventually, who knew the under boot went back that far!) - and the dog definitely alerted to me. Good looking dog.

Speaking of which, I shall update on our camping trips!
I have quite a bit of experience with Mastiffs. You probably wont, but if you want to know anything, feel free to give me a shout(y)

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
A good friend of mine shows and occasionally breeds a litter of English Mastiffs. They are nice...but too big, and too much drool for me...and honestly not as half as smart as a Rottweiler. :) One of my good boarding customers has had Bull Mastiffs forever...and I have taken care of their last three dogs. All were Champion and Grand Champions...very sweet dogs, and nice....one was used as a stud to produce some very nice Champion puppies. Again, too drooly for me, and not all that smart...LOL

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh. Thankfully Agis keeps the drooling for mealtimes only.

I don't know where Agis gets his smarts from then! He's very trainable.

I was impressed last weekend, we camped two weekends in a row at the same campground, and at first used the same outhouse (coming from opposite directions) - Agis knew this weekend we were at a different campsite and never tried to go to the one we'd been at for 4 days just 4 days beforehand. Not that that makes him a genius, but I thought that was good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha!

Well, my goal with car camping this winter is to ease him into it and introduce him to the pulk - then we've got a backcountry trip planned where I hope he'll pull the pulk. Maybe the Mastiff part of him will help with that? He likes skijoring though we didn't really do it last year. I'm a bad skier (nordic skiing is one of my favourite things to do, I just suck at it) so taking now that he's stronger seems vaguely terrifying haha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts