Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was Agis's first summer and when I first felt he would be "tent safe". However, we never went backpacking as I was injured - one car camping trip in the fall (we did one this June too).

Was supposed to take him backpacking in July but I've been intermittently sleepwalking (likely medication-induced) and my doctors couldn't agree about whether or not it'd be safe for me to solo camp. My husband (who is injured) eventually said, this is affecting your mood, hiking and backpacking is a huge part of who you are...you should go.

We are due to car camp in a week (Thursday-Monday) but in the meantime I lucked into some backcountry campsite cancellations (everyone and their mother is camping these days) at a provincial park for this Labour Day weekend - so Agis gets to go on his first backpacking trip! It'll be pretty gentle, with not great weather (rain) but I am very much looking forward to it.

In a high tick zone (near Kingston for BBD and anyone else familiar with Ontario) and there's some poison ivy near-ish to our second campsite but I've looked at pics and I should be able to tie him out away from that.

Then, October 2-3 I am taking our eldest Nebuchadnezzar backpacking (again, got cancellations, so we're only going 4.5k from the trailhead - Neb can still do that, as decrepit as he is). Then I backpack with Agis at the end of October, in November, and we have two 3-day winter car camping trips planned, one in December and one in January (I would like to see how he finds winter camping before I go into the backcountry with him in the winter, also, hoping I can introduce him to pulling my pulk for winter backcountry trips because I'm lazy haha). Agis loves snow so I am fully anticipating him loving winter camping.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have a great adventure backpacking and camping with Agis...and your other two dogs.
On a happy note...the bugs are no where around with these cool nights and cooler days! September is my best month...cool nights, warm sunny days....and NO BUGS!! The deer fly and mosquitoes have been awful this summer...such a relief not to be buzzed constantly. Can sit out on the deck and read...lol

I hope you have great weather and enjoy your time with the dogs! :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really looking forward to it! Should be rain this weekend (Agis hates rain) so Agis will get used to that. He'll survive.
I know, no bugs (other than ticks). My fave time to backpack and camp is September-November and April. Nice weather and no bugs!

I will take lots of pics!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agis was a very good boy this weekend. Every dog we saw we stopped off trail and he sat nicely, or sniffed poliitely if the other dog was given enough leash to come over.

Except -

The first day, I could hear a keening behind us for 1km. It took that long for the day hikers to catch up, and the whole time, their dog is shrilling and keening. So when I knew they were close, I went WAY off trail and put Agis in a sit. The dog comes, and the owner says, he's been smelling you guys! ...you don't say... Hound mix, very riled up. It lunges at Agis (it was on leash, it didn't get close). So lunging and snarling at Agis is something that causes Agis to respond in kind (he was also leashed).

I told Agis 'no!' and 'leave it!' and he returned to me, still hyped up/aroused.

Should I be irritated the other owner didn't control their dog better, that I don't have better control of Agis...I'm guessing both.

What really irritated me is I apologized to the other owner, even though her dog was clearly the instigator, and she didn't apologize to me. Maybe she didn't see it as a big deal?

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time with Agis! :) Don't worry about the Hound mix, or the inconsiderate owners...that was rude of them. I most probably would not have been apologizing but swearing under my breath...hahahaha!!!
My favorite line after boarding dogs for many years is..."stupid dog, stupid owners".:):rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, that saying made me laugh!

Believe me, I was as generous in my head as I was when I apologized.

I have an excitable reactive hound, and I wouldn't allow that from him. I did go as far as I did because I figured whatever dog that was would be super riled up (and it was) and Agis had also been looking around because there was this NOISE approaching. (Again, I hike with our beagle...I'm used to loud dogs (he follows scents and bays, completely blind to the world while he does...but this was different)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just got back from car camping Th-Mon.

Friday night some upcountry degens take the sites next to us. Start drinking pretty sharpish and playing the most obnoxious music. As Nebbers was puking the night before (darned dog is always rooting around in dirt) we wanted to go to bed early and asked them to turn the music down. Sure, no problem. By 1am (my psych meds led me to sleep through most of this, though I woke up when my husband called the cops) they are fighting, physically and verbally. Pissed drunk. Someone's yelling 'I have a knife' and 'I'm going to kill myself'. I could hear punches connecting. Between when the cops came (our campground was not close to towns) the loudest, drunkest guy has taken himself, his partner, and his child (that we could tell) off in their car. We called back and reported it - of course, we're not anxious to get involved in a knife brawl, so we were still in our tent - cowardice I am sure - but there were a lot of them to be in theory breaking stuff up. Drunk guy shows up again around 4am while the cops were still there. Cops said they had to sleep it off. They got kicked out the next day.

I tell my MIL this - oh, well, the dogs would've reacted. Nope. Not so much as a quiet 'woof'. My husband said they slept through most of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We just got back from car camping Th-Mon.

Friday night some upcountry degens take the sites next to us. Start drinking pretty sharpish and playing the most obnoxious music. As Nebbers was puking the night before (darned dog is always rooting around in dirt) we wanted to go to bed early and asked them to turn the music down. Sure, no problem. By 1am (my psych meds led me to sleep through most of this, though I woke up when my husband called the cops) they are fighting, physically and verbally. Pissed drunk. Someone's yelling 'I have a knife' and 'I'm going to kill myself'. I could hear punches connecting. Between when the cops came (our campground was not close to towns) the loudest, drunkest guy has taken himself, his partner, and his child (that we could tell) off in their car. We called back and reported it - of course, we're not anxious to get involved in a knife brawl, so we were still in our tent - cowardice I am sure - but there were a lot of them to be in theory breaking stuff up. Drunk guy shows up again around 4am while the cops were still there. Cops said they had to sleep it off. They got kicked out the next day.

I tell my MIL this - oh, well, the dogs would've reacted. Nope. Not so much as a quiet 'woof'. My husband said they slept through most of it.
It comes with the breed most times im afraid mate
The amount of times, my dogs been on lead and another dog off lead with zero control has come over aggressively. The owner either laughs it off like its a cute joke, or ignore me completley without evem an apology, as they are ignorant of the breed and believe all the negative stigma out there

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It comes with the breed most times im afraid mate
The amount of times, my dogs been on lead and another dog off lead with zero control has come over aggressively. The owner either laughs it off like its a cute joke, or ignore me completley without evem an apology, as they are ignorant of the breed and believe all the negative stigma out there
Oh when we were backpacking? Yeah. I do get people having dogs in need of work - we need to stay on top of Xerxes the Attack Beagle - but that pretty much is our experience too.

Weirdly, people react almost worse with Agis - who is a MIX - then they did with our GSDs (Luc being a black GSD was apparently extra scary though).

Some people ruin it for others !!!!
Seriously. I felt bad for the partner and child, though she (the partner) was giving plenty good, but that's got to be a tough situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts