Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonka is a 3 year old spayed female who loses her mind when she sees new dogs, especially small dogs. She is an absolute doll when it comes to people and has never shown aggression towards a person. She plays nicely with dogs that are closer to her size and are submissive. If another dog challenges her, she seems to want to be alpha. She has met dogs while we are on hikes, and she currently lives with a female husky. They don't always share toys nicely, so they have to be separated when they have toys or bones, but when they don't feel like the need to compete, they are best buds. When she was about a year old she got into a fight with the neighbors male Sheba Enu (neutered). Tonka got loose and went onto the Sheba's property, she approached him to say hello (they had never met before), but the Sheba quickly growled and snapped at her. Tonka wasn't going to stand for that and snapped back and quickly had him by the neck. The owner of the Sheba reached down to break them up and got bit in the hand. This was a very scary incident and I have made sure to be extremely careful with Tonka and other dogs since then.

Since the fight, whenever Tonka sees another dog that she doesn't know, she comes undone. She will whine, and bark I think out of frustration that she cannot get close to the dog. When I walk her she will try to lunge and pull me over to the dog. If the other dog is nice and calm and is un-phased by Tonka, she is much easier to handle. I struggle the most when the other dog is barking at her (that is usually the case). Another problem is when she is in the car. If she sees a dog she will lunge at the windows, barking and whining and sometimes claw at the door or window. This behavior is embarrassing. I want to help the Rottweiler's reputation by having a well mannered and friendly dog in public. I don't want to have to turn around and walk the other way when I see another dog approaching while we are on a walk. I refrain from taking her to places where we might run into other dogs simply because of how her behavior might be. Many people in my area are against Rottweilers and Pits and they are not understanding when my dog barks at their little dog that is barking and lunging at mine. I would love to be able to show off how amazing these dogs can be and teach Tonka to stay calm when she sees other dogs.

What should I do to help her get over this? I've tried distraction, and teaching her to look at me, and then giving a treat as a reward for taking her attention off of what's bothering her. Yes, that works sometimes, but I don't always have treats on me. I most certainly don't have treats to give her while I am driving. I have a dog barrier in my Subaru so I cant reach her. I've tried making her sit and stay on walks while she watches the other dog walk by giving a lot of praise when she stays, this sometimes works, but not when the other dog is instigating. I also wonder what type of collar or harness I should be using. I have a prong collar that really helps with keeping her from pulling, but when she acts up, she pulls no matter what. I have heard that the prong collar can be negative in circumstances like this because it causes pain and they will associate pain with seeing the other dog. I am also hesitant to socialize her with new dogs because I don't know if she will like them and I don't want her to hurt another dog or person.

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated! I anticipate some criticism, but please note that I understand this is a problem and I am looking to fix it :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi,

For me, I try to stay calm and just keep walking Oscar when I see another dog, I don't avoid or show any interest, I just say ignore and walk/jog straight pass the other dog and owner. Afterwards I will praise Oscar and carry on walking. Oscar doesn't react to small dogs, even when they bark and charge at him, he only reacts to large more aggressive dogs. Luckily I've only had one bad incident where the other dog came at us and Oscar had to fight, other then that, most dogs/even in packs avoid Oscar, maybe because of his size and confidence.

I think the prong collar will not work if you keep pulling on it, its supposed to be a quick quirk and release. Never break up a dog fight with your hands, you can not blame your dog for accidently biting you when its going crazy against another dog. When Oscar had that fight, I didn't go near them, I just picked up the other dogs leash and hooked it onto a tree and pulled Oscar away. I was lucky the other dog had a chain leash on otherwise I won't have been able to break them up.

Anyway, more socializing will help but if the other dog is aggressive towards your dog, there's not much you can do, you must release your dog so he/she could protect his/herself properly.

Avoiding areas of other dogs will not make the situation better, will only make things worse.

I'm no expect so I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I agree with needing to socialize her more. I just fear that if something were to go wrong and she gets into a fight with another dog, the Rottweiler will be to blame. People are not always accepting of the breed, so if my dog injures another dog, even if she didn't start the fight, people blame the Rottweiler. When she got into the fight with the Sheba, and the owner got bit in the hand, he said that he wasn't sure which dog did it. He had a puncture in his hand so he went to the hospital, they are required to report the dog bite, and the strike was put on my dog because it was a 100lb Rottweiler vs a 30lb Sheba Enu. Regardless of which dog bit him, he should have known better than to reach down to break them up.
Due to the way society views the bully breeds, I feel like in order to protect my dog from having another "strike" against her, I have to avoid any possibility of her getting into another fight. Three strikes and the dog has to be put down. She does not deserve that, she is a wonderful dog.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can use the search box for the forum as well. I just tried "aggressive" and got 3 or 4 pages of threads. Lots of good advice there.

And a harness might work better than the prong collar. Again there are some good threads on teaching good walking manners to your dog.

Good Luck! I really understand the concern about your dog getting the blame because of her breed. We have Breed Specific Legislation in our town and it's a joke. Craziest dog around here is a Neapolitan Mastiff and they are not on the list, just rotties s& pitbulls.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think in China they focus on the size of the dog, not the breed for the blame. There are more then 26 banned breeds in Shenzhen, the Rottweiler comes under it but its not strict so if you live outside the city, you can more or less keep any type of dog without trouble. Most people never take their large dogs outside, they are kept indoors or locked in a factory so there isn't many cases of people being bitten or killed by a dog so the police isn't that worried.

Oh I love Neapolitan Mastiffs and I could buy one pretty cheaply here in China but I'm worried about all the health issues, eyes, bone, joints and also the aggression. I think it's much better to have a guard dog that looks frightening so thieves will stay away but actually is a big teddy bear. This way the dog is a pet, friend and family and not just a security machine.

Getting back to the topic, have you ever tried putting a muzzle on your dog so that she/he can get close to other dogs but can not bite. Most of the time, your dog might just be overly excited when he sees another dog, this will turn into aggression because the other might react negatively. once he calms down and they smell each other, they might be ok. Also with a muzzle, you wont be so worried and causing your dog to react negatively. I have never tried this myself because Oscars quite good but it's just an idea, not sure if its correct for you.

You can use the search box for the forum as well. I just tried "aggressive" and got 3 or 4 pages of threads. Lots of good advice there.

And a harness might work better than the prong collar. Again there are some good threads on teaching good walking manners to your dog.

Good Luck! I really understand the concern about your dog getting the blame because of her breed. We have Breed Specific Legislation in our town and it's a joke. Craziest dog around here is a Neapolitan Mastiff and they are not on the list, just rotties s& pitbulls.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You seem to be placing too much value on neutering, when you say that your dog is spayed and the sheba was neutered. This operation on males or females does not prevent aggression , this is a behavioral issue and requires training and a lot of patience to fix. The only Rottweiler that I have owned that attacked another dog without provocation was a neutered male. dog on dog aggression is fairly common with Rotties, especially males but as you are finding out, females can also develop this trait. As you rightly state, If there is any kind of a fight, the Rottweiler will certainly get the blame. with this in mind it would be better to keep out of the way of other dogs until you can trust her to be social. It is wrong but you will never convince some people that Rottweilers are good dogs, and far better to keep your girl safe from the lynch mob so to speak.Perhaps a good behavior trainer might help. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts