Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Boys living together depends on many things?? The age of the dogs and the age gap between them? Intact or neutered? Amount of training? These dogs in the picture look all young...the hormones may not have kicked in yet and they all get along till they don't? They could have been out together just for the picture taking, and then put away separately? You can have a ring full of intact male Rottweilers at a dog show...and they do fine in the ring...but you would not allow them to be romping around together without a fight to start.

There is a saying...."bitches cause stitches". Also "males fight for breeding rights, and females for breathing rights". Female dog aggression is far more serious then male dog aggression. Females do not forget once they have decided they want to eliminate another female in the home and training and spaying usually makes no difference.
I've had 2 male Rottweilers at the same time I had a female. The two males were 7 years apart in age, and both layed back easy going boys. Both neutered and the female spayed. I managed them quite easily. There was no way that I would ever keep two females!!

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boys living together depends on many things?? The age of the dogs and the age gap between them? Intact or neutered? Amount of training? These dogs in the picture look all young...the hormones may not have kicked in yet and they all get along till they don't? They could have been out together just for the picture taking, and then put away separately? You can have a ring full of intact male Rottweilers at a dog show...and they do fine in the ring...but you would not allow them to be romping around together without a fight to start.

There is a saying...."bitches cause stitches". Also "males fight for breeding rights, and females for breathing rights". Female dog aggression is far more serious then male dog aggression. Females do not forget once they have decided they want to eliminate another female in the home and training and spaying usually makes no difference.
I've had 2 male Rottweilers at the same time I had a female. The two males were 7 years apart in age, and both layed back easy going boys. Both neutered and the female spayed. I managed them quite easily. There was no way that I would ever keep two females!!
Is it any breed female? Big or small, submissive or not etc? I’m more inclined towards females as I have kids and find females better with children. My bulldog is a girl and at the moment she’s 7/8kg heavier than rayna. They play fight a lot rolling about with eech other and so far the bully gets the upper hand. Now that you have said females often fight I do worry and wonder if they will when rayna matures. I was considering maybe showing or having a litter from Rayna as she has amazing lineage and keeping a bitch from the litter. Then spaying rayna. I wanted another and as she is such a fantastic dog I was going to see what she matures into and decide or buy another bitch. I have never been told before that Rotts are same sex aggressive. It may have changed my mind on my breed choice if I’d of known. I’ve loved rotts for yrs and waited over a year to find a good litter with health testing kc and the look I liked of her parents. I’m a little sad that I won’t be able to have another now. Adding a male further along the line maybe a bad idea too now…
As for the picture of the boys they where all laying waiting for a ball, it was s video screen shot I took, the lady had a ball saying who wants the ball, you duke? You Ronny? Then she threw it and s few ran after it. I don’t know anything else it was just an online rotty video I watched and heard her say ok boys who wants the ball. So I guess they’re all boys.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Some breeds like hounds (Beagles,Bassets, etc.) are fine with either sex. They were bred to hunt in groups. The sporting breeds (Goldens, Labs, Setters,etc.) also do well with same sex. They were also bred to work around other dogs.

It's the working group of dogs that were bred to work individually that have the most problems with same sex. That would be Dobermans, Cane Corso, Rottweilers, Boxer, Great Dane, etc. I would never have 2 female Rottweilers that are close in age and close in temperament and personality. Do some people manage?? Sometimes they do for years...till one day one female decides the other female must die. I volunteered for Rottweiler Rescue for many years...and would pick up the phone messages. It was often an owner of 2 females (sometimes 2 Rotteilers, but often another breed with the Rottweiler)....wanting the rescue to take their female Rottweiler because of bitch fights. If you have never tried to separate two females fighting.....it can be the most scary thing of your life. They also may have displaced aggression and bite the owner or a child when in the heat of battle or if the owner is trying to separate them.

How old is your bulldog? Does she get along with other female dogs of other breeds? Is she mellow tempered? Bulldogs can be tenacious, and I would watch that playing and play fighting does not get too serious. As Rayna matures things may change with their relationship. Is the Bulldog spayed? Having bitches going through heats also changes their personalities while going through heats and often false pregnancies.

Just keep this in the back of your mind when the two dogs are together. As far as females being better with kids....that I don't agree with . I prefer male Rottweilers...I think they are more loveable and goofy. I've had females because I already had a male at home and made sure there would be no same sex problems. Most good Rottweiler breeders would not sell a puppy to a home that already has a female dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is it any breed female? Big or small, submissive or not etc? I’m more inclined towards females as I have kids and find females better with children. My bulldog is a girl and at the moment she’s 7/8kg heavier than rayna. They play fight a lot rolling about with eech other and so far the bully gets the upper hand. Now that you have said females often fight I do worry and wonder if they will when rayna matures. I was considering maybe showing or having a litter from Rayna as she has amazing lineage and keeping a bitch from the litter. Then spaying rayna. I wanted another and as she is such a fantastic dog I was going to see what she matures into and decide or buy another bitch. I have never been told before that Rotts are same sex aggressive. It may have changed my mind on my breed choice if I’d of known. I’ve loved rotts for yrs and waited over a year to find a good litter with health testing kc and the look I liked of her parents. I’m a little sad that I won’t be able to have another now. Adding a male further along the line maybe a bad idea too now…
As for the picture of the boys they where all laying waiting for a ball, it was s video screen shot I took, the lady had a ball saying who wants the ball, you duke? You Ronny? Then she threw it and s few raafter it. I don’t know anything else it was just an online rotty video I watched and heard her say ok boys who wants the ball. So I guess they’re all boys.
Some breeds like hounds (Beagles,Bassets, etc.) are fine with either sex. They were bred to hunt in groups. The sporting breeds (Goldens, Labs, Setters,etc.) also do well with same sex. They were also bred to work around other dogs.

It's the working group of dogs that were bred to work individually that have the most problems with same sex. That would be Dobermans, Cane Corso, Rottweilers, Boxer, Great Dane, etc. I would never have 2 female Rottweilers that are close in age and close in temperament and personality. Do some people manage?? Sometimes they do for years...till one day one female decides the other female must die. I volunteered for Rottweiler Rescue for many years...and would pick up the phone messages. It was often an owner of 2 females (sometimes 2 Rotteilers, but often another breed with the Rottweiler)....wanting the rescue to take their female Rottweiler because of bitch fights. If you have never tried to separate two females fighting.....it can be the most scary thing of your life. They also may have displaced aggression and bite the owner or a child when in the heat of battle or if the owner is trying to separate them.

How old is your bulldog? Does she get along with other female dogs of other breeds? Is she mellow tempered? Bulldogs can be tenacious, and I would watch that playing and play fighting does not get too serious. As Rayna matures things may change with their relationship. Is the Bulldog spayed? Having bitches going through heats also changes their personalities while going through heats and often false pregnancies.

Just keep this in the back of your mind when the two dogs are together. As far as females being better with kids....that I don't agree with . I prefer male Rottweilers...I think they are more loveable and goofy. I've had females because I already had a male at home and made sure there would be no same sex problems. Most good Rottweiler breeders would not sell a puppy to a home that already has a female dog.
nova the bulldog is 2.5yrs old. She is a big dope, she’s super submissive and well behaved dog. She’s not a tenacious bull at all like most. She loves all dogs and ppl and just wants to be petted and loved on from ppl and Rayna. The rough housing they do does get me watching and I stop it with Jusy a hey that’s enough when it gets too rough and they stop. Rayna is now taller than nova. Nova weighs about 32kg and Rayna so far 25kg. Nova is not spayed yet no. We where waiting till after 3 heats and after age 2 then covid came and don’t want to do it too close to her next heat, so she will be spayed after her next heat. Nova will submit to Rayna no problem as adults, Rayna can take a pigs ear out of novas mouth and nova just goes and gets rayna’s. She takes toys off nova too and she just lets her. Rayna cleans novas ears and eyes and chooses to sleep next to her most of the time. So far they get on fabulous. Do you think I’d ever be able to add a male Rottweiler then maybe? In a year or so. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I would spay Nova sooner than later. Rayna will be coming into heat most likely in the next 2-3 months and sexually maturing. Just really keep an eye on the two of them . Rayna is still very much a puppy now. Puppies can get away with things that mature bitches cannot. I would think you have until Rayna is 12 + months of age that her puppy license is gone...and things can go south very quickly.

You can add a male Rottweiler, but I would wait until Rayna is mature at least 2 years of age and well trained. I would also make sure both females are spayed before adding a male.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would spay Nova sooner than later. Rayna will be coming into heat most likely in the next 2-3 months and sexually maturing. Just really keep an eye on the two of them . Rayna is still very much a puppy now. Puppies can get away with things that mature bitches cannot. I would think you have until Rayna is 12 + months of age that her puppy license is gone...and things can go south very quickly.

You can add a male Rottweiler, but I would wait until Rayna is mature at least 2 years of age and well trained. I would also make sure both females are spayed before adding a male.
Ok great thanks so much for the information. I think I may just keep my two and work on them. By the time rayna passes away at 10/12 (hopefully not before) I think I’ll get a male on his own as nova will have gone before rayna. And my youngest child will be 12/13 then too.
One last question please. Should rayna look a tad ribby already? I’m feeding her what the company we get her food from recommends and she gets a bit of bacon rind or off cuts of beef from left overs here and there and an occasional bully stick or pigs ear, but she still looks a tad ribby. Should I add another scoop or is it ok for now. I thought that came at around 8/10 mths and she’s only 5.5 mths

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had 2 males rottweilers and 1 female. They all got along great.
Awww they’re awesome!! Where they all spayed/neutered? Neither of my girls are spayed yet. Rayna is too young yet anyway. I’d of loved to have gotten another rott in a cpl yrs, but I lean more towards girls. But can’t get another girl now. I think I’ll leave it until rayna is a lot lot older and lost the interest of being top dog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, Jessie was a rescue from a Rottweiler rescue centre. I didn't really know how old she was. One person said 4 another said 5. She was spayed. Maxie boy was 4 months old, he was advertised on local website. We got him neutered, because he had one testicles very high up [ undescended testicle] He lived until 10 years old. Lovely dog. Diesel was 9 months old, when we got him. Again private advertising. The owners could not deal with him. He was already neutered when we got him. He got on so well with Max. Jessie was already getting on and could not be bother with them. Sandly, Diesel went down with this illness very quickly. Actually it was overnight he went down. Believe me if he was showing signs of illness I would off taken him to the vets. He had low red blood cells. At 8.30am my son managed to help me to get him into the car, unable to walk. Rushed to vets and they got a trolley to put him on and started oxygen. I was asks lots of question about, has he eaten sometime etc. I was told to go home , he has started feeling better. That was the last time I saw him alive. He died at 12pm . My lovely Diesel was only 6 years old. But He and Max had a lovely time together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Jessie was a rescue from a Rottweiler rescue centre. I didn't really know how old she was. One person said 4 another said 5. She was spayed. Maxie boy was 4 months old, he was advertised on local website. We got him neutered, because he had one testicles very high up [ undescended testicle] He lived until 10 years old. Lovely dog. Diesel was 9 months old, when we got him. Again private advertising. The owners could not deal with him. He was already neutered when we got him. He got on so well with Max. Jessie was already getting on and could not be bother with them. Sandly, Diesel went down with this illness very quickly. Actually it was overnight he went down. Believe me if he was showing signs of illness I would off taken him to the vets. He had low red blood cells. At 8.30am my son managed to help me to get him into the car, unable to walk. Rushed to vets and they got a trolley to put him on and started oxygen. I was asks lots of question about, has he eaten sometime etc. I was told to go home , he has started feeling better. That was the last time I saw him alive. He died at 12pm . My lovely Diesel was only 6 years old. But He and Max had a lovely time together.
Omg that’s heartbreaking 🥲 so sorry to hear that hun, how awful. Glad he had some fun times with his friend though before he passed. Sounds like you’re a great dog owner rescuing the 3 and so glad they got along well together, that’s awesome x

·
Registered
31 Posts
To be honest, Max was 4 months old and Diesel was 9 months. So really they were both puppies at the time. I have now got Dexter and Elsa . Dexter has not be neutered. he is a very good body weight. Elsa has been. I loved Rottweilers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest, Max was 4 months old and Diesel was 9 months. So really they were both puppies at the time. I have now got Dexter and Elsa . Dexter has not be neutered. he is a very good body weight. Elsa has been. I loved Rottweilers.
Yea but you still got them from ppl who couldn’t or didn’t want to keep them anymore. So you took them In either way. I love Rottweilers too. My friend had her max till he was 10 from 8wks. He was her baby, she recommended I get one at some point. We waited for our bull dog to mature first, she’s now 2.5yrs and Rayna is 5 mths. For now they get a long great. I’m hoping that continues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts