Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this at a site aboutour Rotties ...I'm going to print this out and give it to people who ask is yourRott a American or German ..simple and to the point ....

There is a lot of confusion among prospective Rottweiler owners

concerning the different types of Rottweilers - many people have

heard of American, German and Roman Rottweilers and wonder what

the differences are between these types of the breed.

There is actually a bit of inaccuracy regarding the differences in

the breeds. The difference between the American and German

Rottweiler is a misnomer. Many people associate the difference in

physical appearance of Rottweilers as a difference in type. Some

will say that the German Rottweiler is larger than the American,

that it has better defined legs. They say the American Rottweiler

has a smaller head and legs that are sticks or potato-like in

appearance.

Actually, the differences that people are observing are real, but

they aren't a result of different types of Rottweiler. There is

only one standard Rottweiler. The differences in appearance are

due to breeding problems, or less than reputable breeding

decisions. The standards for Rottweilers are the characteristics

we described earlier. Technically, there is no "German" or

"American" type of Rottweiler - merely a standard breed that

complies with the physical characteristics established by kennel

clubs and national associations.

However, there is a type of Rottweiler called a "Roman

Rottweiler". The Roman Rottweiler is a breed of the Rottweiler

that most closely resembles the ancient Rottweiler, or the

original Tibetan mastiff. Both the head and body of the Roman

Rottweiler is bigger than the standard Rottweiler. In general,

the Roman Rottweiler is a super sized version of the standard

Rottweiler. The Roman Rottweiler is recognized as a unique breed

among the kennel club.

Carefully consider all the characteristics of a Rottweiler when

you consider whether the dog is appropriate for you and/or your

family.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You should leave off the part about the roman Rottweiler as they were not Rottweilers when the Romans came to Germany.It was after the Romans left their dogs behing did the Germans refine the breed and make it what it is today.

Good post tho,just leave off the Roman Rottweiler parts.

Donna

·
Registered
144 Posts
<DIV>

I've read this also... who's the credited author/site? Are they talking about Roman Rottweilers, that I mentioned below, or something else?

The Roman Rottweilers are nothing more then a scam if your looking for Rottweilers bred to a higher standard like the ADRK & ARC!A certain breeder accredits herselffor founding this "so-called"new breed with a kennel club, the breed standard she wrote to conform to her dogs,and this club isnotrecognized by code-of-ethic Rottweiler peers!

I wrote the following in the Rottweiler Chat forum earlier this year about this:

Colossal and Roman Rottweilers

I'm sure this is probably old news to most, but I've been reading posts in different breed forums about Colossal and Roman Rottweilers, so my curiosity brought me today to the below listed site. If people are very new to the breed, they could believe anything that was written on a site taken it to be legitimate. People don't seem to realize that anyone can create web sites with whatever written claim they want you to read and then run with your money. Some sites claim to be breeders offering puppies for sale and they don't own dogs. Others, are easily seen and are known as big time puppy-mills and pet stores.

If this person is really breeding these dogs, it is sad that they are ruining our beloved breed for their own greediness. Unintelligence of the Rottweiler breed is rampant already and we don't need more of them bred in this fashion! This breeder could be breeding some pets with satisfied owners, but they want the Rottweiler for all the wrong reasons. Size is not everything in a dog. In fact, it should be on the far end of the spectrum of why you are attracted to a certain dog. By all means, you should know how large an adult dog will be, before you buy, to see if it fits into your lifestyle, but it shouldn't be the #1 reason to purchase a dog/breed. Bigger is not always better! Many more health problems arise with dogs that are bred in this matter. Also, if anyone knows canine genetics, size is not always exact science. Two small dogs placed together can create large dogs or visa versa.

On this site, the person claims to have a large end of the scale 25" female who weighs 90 lbs. Well, so do many other Rottie owners. It doesn't mean that the dog is Colossal or will whelp larger then above average puppies. Key words like: "Blocky heads, large droopy flews for drooling, large bone, huge bodies, etc." are instant red flags of what the breeder is all about! Anyone who owned a male and female dog, bred them together, and sold them as pets, could claim to be a breeder. Please understand that there is more to breeding then just sticking two dogs together and producing puppies. Especially, when they claim to Spay/Neuter to help control pet population, but have already poorly bred those same dogs prior to spaying/neutering.

Please new time owners, beware of hoaxes of all kinds and ask many many questions from reputable people who've been in the breed you are researching. Find out what the difference is between the true "Correct" breed standard and this hoax that is claiming to be a new breed. Anyone could purchase incorrect over-sized Rottweilers, breed them together, and then claim that it is a new breed! When a dog breeder lists a kennel club like, AKR (Academic Kennel Records), it is like all those other dog registries that will take people's money and not care about "True Pure-Bred Pedigreed Breed Standards". If you want to learn more about a Rottweiler's true origin and breed standard, go to the breed's parent clubs ADRK and ARC web sites.

ARC - American Rottweiler Club and ADRK

Also, if you do a general search throughout this one site, you will notice the breeder doesn't have OFA/CERF health clearances or pedigrees listed. If a breeder does not, please go the opposite way as fast as you can! In doing your research for any dog, look at longtime reputable show and working breeder's dogs, accomplishments, what they offer, what they write on their sites, what they say to you in e-mail messages or better yet on the phone. Then compare them with other so-called breeders' dogs and what is more important too them. Are they selling you a puppy as their #1 priority or offering you correct breed education and trying to help you find what is best for you? Most of these people who just want to sell puppies have poorly bred looking specimens. After doing your research, you will really notice the huge difference between a poorly bred unhealthy dog or years of correctly bred healthy dogs by reputable breeders.

Here's the site I mentioned: Colossal Rottweilers

Here is a response directly from her in an e-mail

"If you are looking for an AKC show dog you are looking in the wrong place.
These are Roman Rottweilers and are not yet recognized by AKC they are
currently only recognized by AKR The Academic Kennel Records club. They are
too large for what an AKC show rottweiler would be and you would never get
points, they are breed for a different standard than AKC read the Roman
Rottweiler standard page. My dogs are not OFA'd for hips yet, I will be
doing that early next year or sometime this year but it will be for my
records mostly(as well as CERF, all OFA testing, & DNA profiled). OFA for
hips doesn't guarantee anything I have seen where several generations of OFA
excellent still produce pups with CHD. You are looking for a standard
rottweiler not a Roman rottweiler, look somewhere else because these dogs
aren't for you. There are a ton of standard rottweiler breeders you won't
have any problem finding one:)"</DIV>

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Interesting site but they don't look so colossal to me. vonstallog... here is colossal for you

This is my Dylan. He is a rescue so I don't know what his background is but he is BIG ! To try and compare size, I'm 5'10 and 180 pounds. This is the dog I was joking about earlier in this thread about maybe being a roman rottweiler
. If you want to see freaks, check out www.fransrottweilers.com and you will see someone who really isn't doing much for the breed

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow , you can tell that those dogs at that site have allot of Mastiff in them !!! I'm not sure if I like them that big ....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Kitty said:
Wow , you can tell that those dogs at that site have allot of Mastiff in them !!! I'm not sure if I like them that big ....

Was that reply to the link I left ? Fransrottweilers ? Yes they are huge but I doubt they live very long and healthy lives.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the site the info came from ..I get emails from them about rotties.... here is the author and the site below ...

Sharon Davies

If you want the very best for your Rottie, check out the
"The Rottweiler Manual" at www.rottiesecrets.com

I posted it because we have so many people who want to say that they have a German or American . I myself have never heard of a Roman rott and thought it was a interesting read thats all ! I have my rotts because I love the breed , I'm in no way condoning what people do to the breed . Looking at the roman breed they look like a Mastiff's in Rottweilers skin .

·
Registered
144 Posts
<DIV>

Wow! 2 bad... that's one big poochie, I couldn't imagine owing him!!! Thanks for posting the Fran's site.

Kitty, they're very mastiff-type looking, indeed, aren't they?

I'll give a heads up for any new puppy buyers. I see no health certifications, proven titles,or pedigrees displayed on the site.

Funny how people think they know that the breed was like this back in ___ A.D. Where do they get theredocumented and proveninformation? From what any of us know there where several breeds involved that formed the breed to what it is today, but they say no one knows for sure. The dogs that where with the ancient Romans are documented as original Cattle dogs -which are now known asthe Swiss Mountain Dogs. No where is a Rottweiler mentioned... until the breed was finally established in Rottweil, Germany!

ADRK is the only one that knows the true standard and breed history... there was a couple clubs before them that formed into the ADRK, but they are the original founders of the breed!If you look at the older documented pictures of Rottweilers.... most of themwere thin, small boned, long in body, more houndy looking in the muzzle/head type,and leggy (not necessarily tall). No where doyou seem them overly huge like that 7 week puppy on that site!

Here is a picture of our breed's ancestors from earlier times, that my husband and I got at a local dog show collector...

http://vonstallog.com/share_pictures/ancient_dogs_Rotts.jpg

If they are starting this so-called new breed I wish theydidn't call them Rottweilers! Call them overly large black and tan mastiffs, but don't have the word Rottweiler in the name of the breed! The breed wasn't founded back then...
So how could they be called Rottweilers?

Thanks for telling me Kitty, where you got that informationfrom, I remember the site now... just couldn't recall at the time I read that. I didn't mean that you didn't know about the Roman or history ofRotts... just other people that don't know the breed claim they are breeding these dogs... and for new puppy buyers it's a scary thing especially when they only look at the size of the dog when purchasing them. Getting them from rescue is great! But to go out and find a breeder like the one's posted because they aren't educated and then get scammed... I feel horrible for the dogs and the new owners!

You're also right about the Am/German problem... I use to find people on Internet classified ads - through searching - and you find them all day long selling or asking for a German Rott. There were severalof us breeders that stuck together and tried to reach them through education... but they would just go to another site, they didn't seem to understand or care about the problem. Even to this day with all the knowledge about this dilemma there are people that still asks what's the difference. It'd be nice for the AKC/Animal Planetto announce this on all televised dogshows, at group level dog showing, and also on their sites, if they don't,so people can find it out for themselves.</DIV>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here is something that I send to most people wanting to know the difference. For those that know... you'll be bored with it!
I know it is extremely lengthy and detailed, but I tend to get that way to try to cover all the common questions people come up with when they are trying to understand.
First and foremost our breedÂ’s history specifically states that Rottweilers where originated/founded from the town of Rottweil, Germany. Our Rottweilers, AS A BREED, have come from Germany, no matter where they live now. And all Rottweilers have somewhere in their pedigree, dogs that were German bred, if you can trace it back far enough. Wherever in a dogÂ’s pedigree it states when that particular dog of origin was bred, is the correct answer! For instance, you may notice that a great-great-great grandfather was a German bred dog, but the rest in the pedigree are American and Canadian bred! Or you may notice that the sire of the litter is from Germany, but the dam is from Holland. Whatever country a litter is born in, that is the proper birthplace, even if one parent is from Africa and the other UK, but the litter was born in South America.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Does heavy (stocky), compact, and robust descriptions mean due to weight or are the dogs really stocky? Is the dog correctly balanced or short in leg and body? Of course, if too long in leg and body, the dog wouldnÂ’t appear to be stocky, but more like a Doberman to most.

If your reasoning is do to weight or improper proportions, then these dogs arenÂ’t correct. They would be more known as unbalanced in body. Also, fat, overweight, clumsy, excessive in size without proper muscle tone, strength, and endurance.

According to the standards, the Rottweiler is medium-large (medium being ideal), a robust, balanced, and powerful dog, neither gross nor slight nor spindly with correct proportion being 9 to 10. There compact and substantial build denotes great strength, ability, and endurance. Males are more massive throughout with larger frame and heavier bone than bitches. Underline of a mature Rottweiler has a slight tuck up (meaning no flabby tummy).

Does this stockiness include proper rib spring, girth of chest/rib cage area, an extended properly dropped forechest (prosternum or more commonly known breast bone), and strong muscled hindquarters?

According to the standard, the chest is roomy, broad, and deep, reaching to the elbow with well pronounced forechest and well sprung oval ribs. Loin is short, deep, and well muscled. Croup is broad, medium in length.

If stocky, is the dog currently being road worked, play hard, and/or worked to create good muscle mass? Also, what about those prey drives?

Most people who have pets in the U.S. have housedogs that are lazy and lie on beds. Sleeping is their favorite past time, next to eating out of a constantly filled food dish with high in fat/protein kibble that is left out all day. Does anyone consider that exercise and feed has a huge factor in possibly having a stocky vs. a less stocky dog? The well-known professional dog handlers and exhibitors are knowledgeable with showing dogs and do all they can to get the dogs physically fit for the AKC ringÂ… with our rushed and mostly city-living society in America, we do the best we can, with what we have at the time! However, some people just donÂ’t have time or the room to maintain their dogs like they should. This could cause a dog to be visually unappealing to most, instead of appearing robust and strong, even though it may be actually correct according to the breedÂ’s standards!

Speaking about living arrangements, as most live in the city, you will see dogs go on walks, go to pet stores, go for a car-ride, meet other dogs, etc. They are socialized and usually know most any surrounding. Because of this, prey drives can seem to be downsized in most American dogs, because there is no need for it. However, you place that same dog out in field with a rabbit and watch what theyÂ’ll do! Instinct sets in and you now have a great deal of prey drive.

Most breeders in Germany are known for having kennel dogs, not housedogs, that arenÂ’t normally socialized in the manner American dogs are. They are also known for having dogs that work in the field - and probably train almost everyday - for their working titles. Usually these working titles include some form of protection work.

For those who say dogs in Germany have higher prey drives. German trainers are some of the most experienced in the dog sport of Schutzhund, since they are the original creators of it for our breed. They know which dogs to use for training and breeding for certain drives. All dogs must be tested and rated accordingly for their prey drive before being bred. Using only kennel dogs (which can be used as a training tool) with high prey drives and being bred just for the sport, can introduce dogs that are not meant for certain types of people. However, I do know that dogs with correct breed temperament and proper raising can lead to wonderful pets, including great therapy dogs, no matter where the dog was born or what type of dog sport they participate in! Just because the dogs may seem to have more prey drive doesnÂ’t mean they are German bred. There are other countries that test, raise, and breed in the same manner for the sport of Schutzhund, including Americans.

On another note, sometimes breeders are mislead when placing puppies into homes. Especially those who say they want to participate in the sport of Schutzhund and have experience in the breed, but are usually first-time or inexperienced dog owners. Unfortunately the puppiesÂ’ personalities donÂ’t always match up with the new owners!

Also, for those Germans who do show dogs for conformation are judged according to muscle tone and fitness, more so then American type judging. Most of us show dog people in the states know that if your going to a German-style show, you better take your running shoes and go with a dog who is physically fit to perform!

There are many American breeders who do show and breed for German-style showing and working titles. Some breeders try to perform at both types. I know many breeders who have done German style shows and receive high ratings on their critiques with their American bred dogs over German bred imports under respected FCI judges. Maybe itÂ’s because the dog for that day/show is correct to the standard and the judge isnÂ’t looking at the birthplace?

How about age factors, size, fades, genetics, white hairs, history of the breed, etc.?

An older mature dog should be correct within the standard for size. According to the standards: AKC specs. for dogs 24-27 inches; or ADRK specs. 61-68cms, ideal size 65-66cms. AKC specs. for bitches 22-25 inches; or ADRK specs. 56-63cms, ideal size 60-61cms. Notice that ADRK specifications indicate the ideal size describes a medium dog in height! Weight is not mentioned in AKC, however, ADRK states: Weight - Males about 50 kilos and Bitches about 42 kilos.

If youÂ’re in the breed long enough and know many of the dogsÂ’ pedigree lineages, you can get a feel for certain traits. Some lines have slower maturing dogs then others and may not peak until 4-5 years of age. Others seem to almost peak overnight, but as they become older, they develop joint/arthritis problems, among other health issues. Size doesnÂ’t only depend on genetics, but also environment, exercise, proper upbringing, and nutrition.

It is common knowledge that if you breed a so-called stocky dog to a stocky bitch, 50% of the litter will more then likely be stocky, no matter what birthplace it comes from. This includes most characteristics of a dogÂ’s genetic make-up. However, with most breeders, they try to improve their litters because they donÂ’t have the so-called stocky dog or bitch. So they use certain traits or (fades) that another dog has, to make up for their dogs less then desirable traits, to try and better the breed. This is what we call selective breeding. However, if too many of the same dogs were bred, with too much of one type of characteristic or (fade), eventually all the puppies will change over time. They will become way to large according to our breedÂ’s standards. This is true in all animal husbandry. It is also true that in todayÂ’s culture most people want what is in, what everyone else has, and what is known to sell for that given day! Sad, but trueÂ…

Looking back at the older Rottweiler pictures in breed books, people donÂ’t realize how much the dogs have really changed over the years. I have pictures of hunds with long thin extended muzzles, long tall(leggy looking)thin legs, heads and bodies that look best on sporting/herding dogs, long in body with horrible roach backs and major dropping off in the croups. And before you ask, these pictures are from German bred (Germany) dogs!

To this day, we will see these same types of dogs from time-to-time come up within our breed. Do research by purchasing some older published breed books. Take a closer look at the pictures and they will reveal changes in our breed that people have been trying to perfect to what they would like the Rottweiler to really be. A very appealing dog to look at when bred correctly!

Most breeds have long histories of changes in their appearances. This includes the white hair issues that have been posted. Look back on how the Rottweiler was created and it will answer your questions of why white hairs still to this day crop up in litters. Rottweilers have originated from Swiss Mountain Dogs who have white hairs! Every breed of registered purebred dogs originated with other breeds of dogs. Genetics has a funny way of showing itself sometimes. Watch Westminster K.C. sometime on TV and you will hear them constantly repeat the history of breeds while they are being introduced!

Throughout the years Rottweilers seem to have a more pronounced stop, shorter thicker muzzle, larger wide backskulls, shorter backs with high tail carriages and rears, longer bodies on short legs, huge thick bone (like tree trunks) with over angulated rears, oversized, undersized, doggy bitches, bitchy dogs, and tremendous rib spring with extreme robust bodies. This is the wave of the future for our breedÂ….. Some of this is correct if bred correctly, and some is not!

I was at an outside dog showwhen someone approached my dog and I. They came to ask me why RottweilerÂ’s heads are so huge these days. This came from a totally different exhibitor of dogs from a totally different group then we are in. All I could say was, itÂ’s a fad! Now donÂ’t get me wrong, I like a very nice head on our breed, but it isnÂ’t everything that a dog is made of. They shook their head while agreeing with me that this happens in all breeds. First the head, then the body must change to keep the head from being way too out of proportion, and then the legs must catch-up with all of that. I think you see where IÂ’m going with thisÂ…

Ironically, IÂ’ve seen several dogs with these looks that IÂ’ve mentioned. Some of these dogs are from other countries besides Germany and America. While others are imports brought into America or visa versa.

Here is a list of some random dogs off of the Internet, TRQ, and breed books. Research them to see if there is a true claim that the shorter muzzled, darker coloring, better head, more compact, and stocky dogs come from so and so. Try to remember that pictures can be worthwhile, while others are very deceiving, but do the best you can with what you findÂ…

1. Yuma vom Wolfsberg, SchHI, BH, BST (German import)
2. Ch. Full MoonÂ’s As Good As It Gets (American Bred)
3. V-Rated Falko vom Steinkopf, AD, ZTP, WH, TT, SchHIII, IPOIII, Korung (Germanimport)
4. V-Rated Doktor v Jagersburger Forst BH, ARV & USRC ZTP, AD, SchHI, HD (German Import)
5. Queans Bacchus By Nelson (American Bred)
6. BIS/BISS Ch. Nelson vh Brabantpark (Netherlands import)
7. BIS A/C Ch. AramarÂ’s Abraham Grizzwold, #1 CKC Rott (Canada)
8. Int. Ch. Graf von der Teufelsbrucke, SchHIII, IPOIII, BH, AD, FH, ZTP, Korung (German import)
9. Ondra vom Dusselwappen (German import)
10. JeneckÂ’s Wotan, SchHIII, IPOIII, ZTP, AD, FH, Gekort (American Bred)
11. Multi-V Rated A/C Ch. Pico vom Hegestrauch, ZTP, BH, SchHI, Gold Sire (German Import)
12. Amboss vom Konigssiek, SchHIII, IPOIII, FH, AD, TT, Gekort (German import)
13. A/Int Ch. Benno von der Schwarzenheide, SchHIII, IPOIII, AD, ZTP, TT (Germanimport)
14. Multiple V-1 Cassius Lad, SchHII, ZTP, USRC Select Male (English/British import)
15. Multi-BIS/BISS Von BoylanÂ’s Antonio Banderas, SchHIII, AD, BST, BH, TT, Gold Sire (American Bred)
16. A/C Ch. Quinto vh Brabantpark, CD (Netherlands import)
17. A/C Ch. Chug Chug-Choo Choo, CD (American Bred)
18. Basko vom Eichengrund, SchHIII, BH (German import)
19. BIS Ch. Mardorn Bandit (Zimbabwe bred)
20. BIS/BISS Select A/C Ch. Goldeiche Ara von Brader A/C CD, Gold Sire (American Bred)

As you may notice, if you could find the dogs IÂ’ve mentioned, most all of them have different looks in body, head, color, etc. but are all true to the breedÂ’s standards according to their achievements/titles. You may also notice that it doesnÂ’t matter where the dogs are born or where they now live.

Take note that only a few breeders will go to extreme measures to breed to a very nice dog. Because of science and technology, they can make it more possible due to AI. However, most breeders use dogs that are local in region and close in correctness to the standard. With the rise of major health clearances, top winning dogs, etc. for breeding purposes, the genetic pool is getting smaller and fewer choices are available for breeders. There is good and bad in this type of situation. We must demand to appreciate more of the total dog, correct according to the standard, instead of constant fault finding for breeding purposes. IÂ’m not saying breed a dog with poor hips and a DQ. What I am saying is that no dog is perfect and if it fits into the standard the best that it can, then the breeders are doing their jobs the only way they know how! Genetics will do the rest.

A poorly bred dog can happen anywhere, anytime, by anyone, even to the best of breeders - one can slip in - which is normally placed in a pet home with limited papers and no breeding rights. Genetics has a sense of humor and if you have been in breeding long enough, you do the best you can by weeding out the ones that are not correct!

Please take note that the standards are only guidelines left for those to interpret it to the best of their ability. Yes, Germany does have breed wardens and strict breeding guidelines, but American code-of-ethic breeders do their best to uphold to these same guidelines. The ARC (parent club) wrote the AKC breed standard, at the time, based on the ADRKÂ’s standard. There are also American breeders who uphold to the FCI guidelines instead of AKC.

Some people see dogs’ “Make-up” differently then others. This is why there seems to be so many different looks (variety or types) within the breed. As you read the standard for the dogs’ allowance in height, coloring, etc. you may get an understanding that there are some differences allowed, so long as it is correct. However, we as breeders and dog owners alike must take notice that the standards do not call for any variety or more then one type within our breed. If someone likes a Rottweiler with blue eyes and it is a fluke, don’t you think someone down the road will breed and sell these dogs as a new variety or breed! This is why white German Shepherds and Dobermans are such a huge issue with the majority of breeders who do care about the breed’s true virtues! Great family loving pets, yes, they probably are. Great show dogs with wonderful breed type, NO, they are not, according to their breed standards.

Thanks for listening and I do hope this can clear up some of the questions people may have about our breed's history and origin. There are many interesting breed articles, books, magazines, and tools available on the Rottweiler. Do your own research and try to weed out those unusual comments that donÂ’t seem to correct. If you donÂ’t know, ask someone who has a huge knowledge on the breed. Usually someone who has been in Rottweilers and dogs, showing, breeding, handling, training, etc. for close to 20 years, is usually a good source of information and may someday become your mentor!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for a great read ! and I love the old pic of the Rottie's . It's awesome ! Do you have it hanging in your home ? I know what you are saying about people and the breed all they think about is size ! I myself don't care . I just want a healthy , good disposition dog . All of my babieshave a different look about them ...well Kitty is full figured now
to many snacks
I hate when people will say isn't she / hesmall ? I say NO they are the size they are supposed to be ! Why do people think just because you have a Rott they have to be huge ? It kills me ! Mine are the standard of what they should be and I love them to pieces !! I've even had people say what kind of dog is that unbelievable !!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
vonstallog, I must say you put some very interesting stuff up for all to read.

Thanks !

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Well my boy is American born and raised .... complies to the German standard ... cept for the tail ....

And has NO idea he is a Rottweiler .... and i'm not gonna tell him ....

people just seem to love him .... goes EVERYWHERE with me ...cept home depot .... there NOT dog people ...

they used to have a sign ( no pets ) and no-one payed any attention ...

now there sign says ABSOLUTLY NO PETS .... hahaha ....

·
Registered
96 Posts
At the risk of sounding rather stupid,I am going to ask a question, when measuring....is it to the top of the head or the back. When I was growing up we raised German Shorthairs , they were measured to the back.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
and it also depends on what you are measuring for ,how you hold the head.

If I am measuring for conformation I hold the head up,If I am measuring a dog for Obed I want their head down a little(this will make them a bit smaller and then they don't have to jump so high).

Donna

·
Registered
96 Posts
I meant for conformation of breed standards. she is within the standard....she just looks so tall some times....lol 24.5 at the shoulder.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gee... I try to help. Thanks. When you get into a general classified ad section to try to help people... well, they do get annoyed you being there and you do take a few
from them, but it's a worth while cause to help save the breed.
<DIV>

I actually have that picture displayed in our showcase area with all our cool doggie stuff. It's rather small to place it in a frame and on the wall, but I wouldn't mind finding a bigger one to do that with! It's amazing how changes show up in a breed after some time, but those same traits will still crop up in some lines, you can never get rid of them completely.I remember finding this cool French Bulldog vintage picture for my friend that's in that breed and she thought it was awesome to see the changes, butstillkeeping thebreed type.

Hey there Donna, you're not suppose to shareobedience secrets...
Just teasing!

Yep, measure at the withers to the bottom of the pawswhen you want the correct height.</DIV>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts