Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was just wondering if real rotties still exist in north america that can PROVe that their dogs can do exactly what the breed standard says?

A friend of mine just had their house broken into their rottie did NOThing but bark! THis is notthe first time I have heard rotties doing nothing to protect their owners! This is very sad that rotties these days dont have the real drives to truly protect their ownerrs (like they did in the olden days) All the rotties these days seem to do is bluff. WHat if we need a dog that would be a pet but also a REAL protector?

Should we look into other breeds then? if so what breeds are better suited for this?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
There are people breeding dog to the standard.

Did she get her dog from someone who has ethics or just bred to dogs.

We tested the 8 year old here last year, and he turned out to be very protective.I always thought he was a big mush,but when Jessie came out from behind the blind,Bradley was all go.It took Stephanie and another guy to hold him back.It makes me look at him different now,but at least his mom now knows he will save her if need be.

Here he is with all the ribbions he won so far this year,he is still working at 8

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not to be crass, but I was told if you want protection, buy an alarm or security system. There are numerous reports of these dogs biting with slight provocation and getting bad press for the breed. FWIW, if they have that many break-ins, they might consider moving. I've lived in some pretty rough spots and never had my home violated. But then again, I am careful with my personal security.

Sure, I imagine there are plenty of breeders breeding dogs for security work. Shell out the bucks for a properly bred and trained animal and hope your homeowners insurance don't go through the roof...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I lost one to cancer that would rip your head off if you walked in my house. What a great dog. Problem is everyone wants to sue you today and even a thief in your home has more rights than the would be killer Rott who lives there. It is pathetic but true. Ya just can't win today. You hang a " beware of dog " sign and the lawyers say well you knew the dog was mean. If they don't say that then it is usually something to the effect that maybe the robber couldn't read so you get it stuck up your azz for that. NY is a funny place to live but believe me ... there are still plenty of real Rottweilers being bred in this country.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It's an interesting topic depending on the group having it.. But 2bad, your're right about that. Sad way this country is at times. And yeah, I've seenmy share of Rotts that wouldn't need much to get in your biz...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Temperament
The Rottweiler is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.

This is taken from the AKC standard.I have yet to own a dog like this as all of mine want to jump on everyone they meet and sit in everyones lap.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi scuba , welcome !

I personally would rather my dog's just bark at a intruder then them get hurt by attacking one ! They are worth more to me then a T.V. or a stereo or anything like that. I have 3 here and I think a intruder would maybe think twice before coming into my house ! Although I do think they would protect me fromanyone trying to do me harm !!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
my man biggie is a no nonsense rottie.no one but members of my family can enter my home or yard,he is a guard dog but also my big baby.he doesnt take to strangers will not even accept food from someone he doesnt know.i never let him socialize with any one outside my family mainly because i wanted him to be protective,.and that has worked,http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e271/rottaddict/myd awgs001.jpg

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I could not get home owners Ins. but at a very high rate here in Fl. because of my Rottie. It makes you wonder if some times they don't make more of a fuss because they know who is breaking in!!! I think Xari at 9 months would take care of us if he smelled fear on me, he is straight up in the air if he hears a noise. In his training we had him meet a sheriff, he flat told me out of all the dogs that they have to shoot it is the Rottie because they go after them even over Pit Bulls. I would much rather have my baby that I waited on so long to be as safe as I want to be and for protection we have a gun.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Well well ..... what a topic .....

I know my boy is ready to eat someone .....

for 3 years he has been taught to fight .....

He has NO problem and less fear .....

I would NEVER let him attack anyone .... I don't wanna loose my BOY

if ever anyone hurt my daughter or my mom i dont think i could

STOP him ....

I know people can't even raise there voice around me without

him getting into the middle of us ....

I did NOT get him for protection .... in fact just the oppisite ....

I wear a T shirt that says ..... Never mind the DOG Beware of OWNER

but he is all rottweiler and very protective of his family NOT so much

of our home or car ..... weird huh .... but he will protect us people

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with Kitty - I would much rather my girl run and hide or just stand and bark than have something happen to her. She probably wouldn't do much if someone just came in the house but I honestly don't know what she would do if someone tried to hurt me. I certainly have no desire to find out either way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well you guys have to understand there are some of us out there that are not big scary looking tough and mean like yourselves and tend to get victumized a lot easier. While walking your dog on the street or in the woods it would nice to have a dog that you know will back you up. MOST rotties will NOT back their owners up its sad to say this but its the TRUTH.

LETS Be honest here I have seen police dogs in action I have seen what they are capable of they take down CRIMINALS like they are NOTHING! If they want tostopping a man is not a tough task for them. I have yet to hear about a "bad guy" fighting off a police dog. Be nice to have a dog like that by our side for some of us.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hmmm, this is going to get interesting. I think it better to have a well bred dog who is not jumpy or nervous and who will not be a risk to kids and innocent people. You can train a dog like that to attack on command by words or hand signals, etc. A dog who goes after people just because they approach you is a nervous dog. That is a dog who is alpha over you and thinks that it needs to protect what is his. He isn't going after the bad guy for YOU
, he is going after them for himself. Just like trying to steal his bone ! That is a weak dog , a dog of weak mind. Police dogs are not born they are made and only a few really make it compared to the number who don't. Police dogs are trained to bite and they know when it is good and when it is not, but they are not born that way. Police dogs are in control at all times and they don't just bite at random... a bite to a leg , a bite to a face, a bite to an arm. They bite once and they bite hard and always where they were trained to bite.

You want a biter ? Pretty easy to get a dog to bite, chain him up and DO NOT socialize him. He will bite everything and everybody who comes within reach. OUT OF FEAR ! It sure won't be because he is protecting you, he is protecting himself and you just happen to be there.

Ever wondered why they have personal protection training ?

Here is my big guy Dylan. He knows how to take care of business if ya know what I mean. Sorry I don't have a picture of him hanging off of some poor guys throat for you , you will just have to take my word that he will bite ! And yet he can be trusted with a baby !

I'm 5'10 at 180 lbs.

He has never had the need to protect me or my family. People see him and go the other way BUT believe me... he will hurt you !

There is a lot more to a Rottweilerand the people who own them than biting someone. Next time you stop by why not look around and maybe compliment someone who has posted a picture in the " pictures of your Rottweilers " section insted of trying to downgrade a dog who is bred the right way.

Open your phone book or search the internet and look for " personal protection dogs " ! Nothing out there will put a whoopin on ya like a Rottie will

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both of my girls are well socialized and friendly dogs. But if you ask anyone who trains with me, if you come into my house or anywhere around my girls, and act agressive towards myself, or anyone else that is close to them..... They will step in.

I was working out last night and Brenna, who is 7 months old, was in the room and got between myself and my other half, who was holding the target I was kicking. I have no doubt that if I hadn't stopped kicking towards her, Brenna would have taken me apart.

But if you are not aggressive, they are the biggest babies I have ever seen.

Rotties shouldn't be aggressive by breed standard, and by simple ethical breeding. If you want something agressive, take the time to learn to handle a situation for yourself, instead of risking an innocent animal's life, no matter what breed,by wanting it to bite indescriminately.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
scuba0095 said:
Well guys understand some of us tend to get victumized a lot easier. While walking in the woods sad to say this but its the TRUTH.
You don't need a DOG .... you need to just stay out of them WOODS

either that or " RUN FOREST RUN "

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This thread was also on the dot,net site and they said the same thing.

I know I am a small person and so is Kitty.When I take my dogs somewhere I am not going because I want my dog to protect me.I want to have a nice walk with them.

If you need a dog like That I sugjest you join a SchH club,but with the way you are talking I dought they would want you to join.

So maybe you should by a dog trained to attack and start saving your money,as soon as that dog bites someone you will most likley be sued.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hey my friends...
Don't you think maybe this person is just trying to pull our chains...
At least our Rotties know when to open their mouths and when not too

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am thinking maybe you have a Rott for the wrong reasons. I have my Rott because I love her, love the breed,want her companionship and want her to be an ambassador for the breed.

I have my Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum for protection.

I don't want her taking care of me - it is my job to take care of HER. I am not big, tough or scary. IMO size has nothing to do with taking care of yourself. My husband is 6'2 and 200 lbs - he may be bigger than me but trust me - I am a LOT meaner.........

If you feel that unsafe in your own neighborhood, maybe you should take some personal protection classes? No one likes to feel unsafe.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
scuba0095 said:
LETS Be honest here I have yet to hear about a "bad guy" fighting off a police dog.
Thats NOT honest .... you NEVER will

think about it .... ever see a policeman get shot on COPS ......

" HELLO MCFLY "

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I'm with Samsmom I also have a gun a 9mm and am a marksman in the NRA . If ever a intruder comes into my house they won't have to worry about my dogs , it's me they will have to worry about !! I'm 5'2 and 120lbs my hubby is 6'4 and 270... but he's not the one you need to be afraid of !!
I think Dans right you need to stay out of the woods if it's a bad place to be ...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts