Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apollo just started this nipping bit usually it's on your butt ! Not hard just a little nip .He also is head butting us too in the butt ! ( that I don't mind ) Is he trying his dominance with us ? Or is it a attention thing ?I have never had a pup do this before . He also is doing it with people whom he really likes that come to the house . At first we thought it was cute but ..... I don't want it to become a problem . When he does it I make him stop, tell him NOand put him in a sit stay , I have people over usually on Sat. to play cards and we laugh and carry on and have a good time thats when he does it mostly, is it that he wants attention ? andit's his way of getting it? What else can I do to stop him doing this ? He really is a good boy and loves company that comes to the house . Or is it a guy thing and he likes butts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If you laugh at anything they do they do it more.All the laughing could get him excited when people are over having a good time,he might just want in on it to.

Just keep letting him know that it is not exceptable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yea, little smarty pants.. he knows it's an attention getter. But as he gets older it can grow into a dominance thing. Nip it in the bud....

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Sampson does this too .... the head butt thing .... when he is in the

bar he will head butt people the ones he likes ..... then turn right

around he stick his butt in there face ..... and all the people think this

is cute .... so there's NO STOPPING it now .....

He also did the nipping thing .... he would lay on the ground and nip

your butt when you sat in the chair ..... but he also took the tiniest

lil nips ... the ones that hurt ... he did out grow it and also got tiered

of getting yelled at for it .....

now he grabs the family jewls .... one quick bite
and i laugh

i dont let many people ( PLAY ) with him he tends to get very rough

BUT when i do i tell people the words to wind him up and they

always wanna quit the game before Sampson does and he will just

grab right on to a crotch .... real quick ....

So yes it is an attentiom getter ..... if he if only doing it to

people he realy likes ... he will grow out of it ...... well mine did

the head butting thing .... dont bother me either ..... he can't talk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry, no teeth on no human in my house. Even in rough housing, teeth hits skin, all games are done. I hate to say I've seen too many dogs were the humans think it's so cute. (and sometimes it's funny), have the dog turn in to an uncontrollable monster.

JMHO

Barb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Barb, I couldn't agree more.
Mouthiness=ignore.
Nipping=better run, your can of [email protected]$$ is coming up

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here is some info as to why some dogs can be more mouthey than others.

I stoled this from another site. It's written by a trainer that is a member of the site.

Every day of every week of a pup's early life is critical in the pup's mental development. Certain character traits are acquired (or reinforced) at very specific stages of development. For example, from day 3 of life until the eyes are fully open, it is possible to do some simple exercises with pups that enhance early neural development; pups which are stimulated through these exercises have been shown to mature into dogs which are more poised, steady-tempered, less barky, and develop fewer nervous habits than pups who didn't get the benefit of these exercises. It's amazing what an incredible impact just 10 days of puppyhood can have on a dog, for the rest of its life. When pups are provided with the correct environment, stimulation, and socialization for their age of development, they mature into confident, poised, steady, well-balanced dogs.

Others character traits are acquired/reinforced over longer periods of time. There is a "window of opportunity" during which pups can learn the social behaviors they need to mature into sound-minded adults. The first 16 weeks are critical, and they fall into basically two 8-week phases; the first 8 week phase they need to be with their littermates, and preferably a well-balanced adult dog. (After weaning it doesn't matter if that adult dog is the dam or not, an older male can often be an excellent puppy-nanny. Having a well-balanced adult around with pups sharpens their canine communication.) Bite inhibition is learned from littermates. One pup bites another, the bitee squeals and moves away from the biter, the biter learns "gee, when I bite hard nobody will play with me," and they learn to temper - inhibit - their bite. Bite inhibition is learned from about 6-8 weeks of age; pups who don't learn it then are more likely to have stubborn mouthing or even nipping behaviors that can persist into adulthood. In addition, pups who don't learn bite inhibition from littermates or other dogs during this period tend to grow up into adults who don't do well with other dogs.

Also during the first 8-week phase, pups should be exposed to cats (or other pets), children, women, men with beards, men with ball caps, television, the vacuum cleaner, the doorbell, different footing surfaces (grass, concrete, dirt, pebbles, sand, a length of fencing on the ground, etc.), and a wide variety of other stimuli.

The only reason some experienced trainers would want a pup a 7 weeks rather than 8 weeks is so they can interrupt the canine socialization period, which then strengthens the pup's identification with his human handler rather than with other dogs. This is a benefit when training a working dog, but which lessens the dog's identification of itself as canine and can result in an adult dog which is aggressive toward other dogs.

The second 8-week phase in the 16-week window is extremely important, too. Continued exposure to a wide variety of other animals and people of all shapes, sizes, colors, ages, etc. is important. During the first 16 weeks of life a puppy's capacity for learning is endless. The more they experience, the more they are taught, during this period, the bigger the payoff will be in the adult dog.

Once the windows close, they close for good. After that, basic temperament is established, for good or for bad, and after that you can't change temperament you can only shape behavior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts