Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new here, I have a 12 month old female rottie (Sasha) and I will post some pics. My question is this, I hear a lot of people talking about their protective instincts. Mine is great with everyone she meets, and that is the way I want it. But we have a lot of crime, people breaking into house from the backyard, stealing property etc. Mine seems like to timid and there are times when people come up to the fence and pet her, will she start to be more cautious not trusting everyone? We have a lot of people also stealing dogs, she stays outside with our Afghan. I am just wondering will she snap out of this I sure would hate some one to get into our house and then take her with them.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi there, welcome aboard. We have some pretty knowledgeable people here who can probably help you out. I think you will need a little training help. Rottweilers are not born killers. They usually end up that way because of the people who raise them. The first thing I would like to say is that if people can reach through your fence to pet her you should be thankful she isn't too protective or you would probably have a law suit or two by now.

Yes , people do some terrible things to dogs. Steal them and use them as bait for fighting dogs, etc. Some people even train their dogs to eat from only them because they fear someone will try to poison them.

I can't really help you too much. My reply is more of a welcome than anything else. You keep checking back. Someone will offer you some insight. Again, welcome !

·
Registered
166 Posts
My maximus was like that before when he was around a year old. Now he is 2 everytime the bell rings or someone walking around the house he goes crazy. So I think in time they will start to have the protective instinct.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Welcome

You will be surprised what your dog will do when someone comes into your house uninvited.

Mine are overly friendly when out and about but come near their car or house and it's over.You do not need to train your dog to be protective it will just happen.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi and welcome rmiller !

How high is your fence ? with 2 dogs in the yard you should have a 6 foot privacy fence , not only to protect your dog but also to protect anyone sticking their hand thro or over itto get bitten . I'm not saying that your dogs bite but you never know ......Then you will have a law suit on your hands . Do your dogs come in your home at all ? Do you crate ? Rotts are very much a dog that needs companionship and needs to be around their family . Have you had any training classes with either of your dogs ? Dogs need structure to be a good companion. Do you have any outside lighting in your yard ? These are just a few questions you should be asking yourself . I have 3 Rotts and a privacy fence with lighting in my yard at night . My dogs are never left unattended out side when I'm not home . Rotts will become very protective the older they get yours at 12 months is still a puppy and still growing till the age of 2 or so ... I also have 2 that just turned a year old and they have alot of growning to do in mind and body .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i have all the above. Do not take me wrong, I do not want a mean dog, but rather a cautious protective dog. I have added some pictures of her in the other forum thread. I am a lifelong APBT owner and know waht comes along with both breeds. First rottie owner, and with their laid back approach I find them a facinating breed. thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I used to also have a afghan years ago ..what color do you have ? I had a black and silver he was a bugger ! head strong and loved to run .... he was one of the hardest dogs I ever had to train ...even tho were a Rotty fourm you can post a pic of him as well ... I would love to see him ( him or her )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.