Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV>Autumn

What do we do when our loving pets face the last leg of the race?
We do all we can to help them finish well,of course.
We take time to read the unspoken needs of the friends we've come to know so well.
We give the simple reasurance of a loving touch when the old boy seems confused for no reason.

We groom them faithfully,but more gently,as age brings muscle wasting,and the arthritic bones aren't so well padded.

We learn to slow down for their sake,as they enjoy the scent of the wind,or track a visitors trail across their yard.

We expect to be inconvenienced,and aren't angry when it happens.

We watch for pain and treat it,watch for changes in vision and hearing and do what we can to help preserve those precious senses for as long as possible.

We take care of teeth,and make sure their food is manageable texture for them.

We remind them of the need for a potty walk when they seem to for get.

We remember the little rewards. we scratch the graying ears and tummy, and go for rides together.When the pet we love has an unexplained need for comfort,we give it freely. When infirmities bring a sense of vulnerabilty, we become our old gardian's protector.

We watch their deepest slumber,when dreams take them running across long-forgotten fields, and we remember those fields too.
When they cannot stand alone,we lift them.When their steps are uncertain,we steady them.

And if their health fails,it falls to us to make the choice that will gently put them to rest.But until that is absolutely necessary,we pause to let the autumn sun warm our old friend's bones.And we realize, autumn is not a bad time of year at all.

Old age is not a disease or reason to give up.It is a stage of life that brings its own changes.Autumn can be a beautful time of harvest.

And, sometimes, the harvest is love.

author-Christy Caballero</DIV>

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Very nice Donna. I hope I get to see old age with one or more of my three. Tiny never made it that far. I hope to see all of mine with grey hairs.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Donna, I just done crying for a week and you had to post this
very touching .... I had to bring out the tissues again !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, that was hard to read! I printed it for my refrigerator (I hope you don't mind)...hoping it will help me to get through the rough days ahead. My baby Sasha (will be 8 on Feb 25th) has just be diagnosed with lymphoma and our family is on that emotional rollercoaster that comes along with it. When it's time we will let her go in dignity...but perhaps this will help to remember why. Even though the pain will subside, the love and memories will always be around. Thank you for your generosity in sharing with us!

Arlene

Samson, Sasha and Moses Mommy

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about your girl.It is always hard to let them go.(and it never gets easy).

Donna

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand that too...I lost my 11 1/2 yr old in 2001 to bone cancer and now her to lymphoma. But glutton for punishment or not (haven't figured that out just yet)...will always be a dog lover...and rotties in particular. We rescued her and another younger one and feel that they have had terrific lives...she almost starved to death and the younger baby almost beaten to death. After much rehab and lots of TLC they became members of the family. She IS still here right now...but will definitely need all the support I can get when we have to let her go...so thanks for being there. I will try to figure out how to post a pic of the 3 of them later tonight or tomorrow.

Arlene

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can down load from your computer in the picture section or lots of use use photo buckets.

How to see some pictures of your babies soon

Donna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts