Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had a slab leak in our plumbing in December (Merry Christmas). After contacting the insurance company,,,getting a confirmation that there was in fact a slab leak...giving a verbal/recorded statement and paperwork to the adjuster....was denied because there was no water spraying above the slab. :mad: Better to let the water run, and erode the foundation than fix what ya can't see I guess.
That's not good enough for us....since I'm normally the one to do "things" of this magnitude around here...yet can't physically anymore (which is extremely aggravating) made a call to a friend of mine from the fire department.
Here is the work they have been doing for us...it's been a challenge to say the least...but these guy's don't know "can't be done".

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a lot of work. Maybe the insurance company might reconsider if they see these photos.
We thought about an appeal...but after our insurance going up a grand for no reason...never have filing a claim...figured...no sense rocking the boat.
I imagine that they will drop us when they can...which would be this June...right as Hurricane season pump's up. Homeowners Insurance is a scam down here....our last rate for one year on this house...not in a flood zone...no evacuation zone.
$4100.00/year

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Ken, It's same up here in Pa. If you live in a flood zone....which we do. The water has to come in thru a door. Now If It just comes in the basement you are expected to remove the furnace, the hot water tank, and any other appliances you might have in the basement. It will not cover anything! Your right It's a scam!!!!! I hate paying that bill !

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken, It's same up here in Pa. If you live in a flood zone....which we do. The water has to come in thru a door. Now If It just comes in the basement you are expected to remove the furnace, the hot water tank, and any other appliances you might have in the basement. It will not cover anything! Your right It's a scam!!!!! I hate paying that bill !
I understand that they try to protect their asset's...but give me a break. Their job is also to assume risk to a point....and the "process" that we had to go through just to "prove" worthiness of coverage took a week...2 visits and multiple photos. We also had to perform a minor improvement to satisfy the insurer...which we did in a day. What do we get in return...kicked in the "beans" when we need them.:mad:

Here is the progress as of yesterday....almost done with the tile work.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Ken, It's looking good. $4100 for insurance! That is horrible. We pay $1300 and that covers 2 houses and an apartment and 2 garages and our big pole barn. We only insure for what we owe on the mortgages so that keeps it lower.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
We don't live in an area where water is a problem. We live on the second highest peak in our county. We came from eastern PA and flooding was common so when we looked for land back in the 70s we made sure we would never be near anywhere that could flood.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't live in an area where water is a problem. We live on the second highest peak in our county. We came from eastern PA and flooding was common so when we looked for land back in the 70s we made sure we would never be near anywhere that could flood.
Were also on the highest point in the County here....called the Pinellas Ridge. Let's put it this way...if our house is under water...the entire County is a reef. Were so ready to get the hell out of here...yet...the real estate market is in the crapper. One day...were out...and hope to be in the mountains...on acreage...away from population USA. I want to be able to walk out back...and melt into the woods. We missed a nice 91 acre property with a 2/2/2 home on it....for 135K...in Southern OH. Not mountains...but rolling hills to say the least. Anywhere 3-4 hours from Toledo works for me. WV, KY, or S. OH works.
Someday...but hopefully within 2 years....these interest rates are not going to remain this low forever.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Ken, It's looking mighty good! Now are your friends doing the work?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Ken, We only pay $180 a month on our house because the interest is so low. When it starts to go up we will get a VA Loan that we never used and refinance. I know what you mean about getting away from it all. I had the most amazing experience. I reconnected with my best friend from my youth. We were best friends from 3rd grade up until she left to be a TWA stewardess when she was about 20. She married and traveled the whole world on a big boat with her husband and retired 7 years ago in Maine. They bought an island and built their house from trees on their property. What an amazing life she has had. The only sad thing is years ago her daughter that was only 16 months old fell overboard and she drowned. She had two sons after that but what a heartbreaker. She has lived in Africa, Malaysia, Hawaii and I don't know where else yet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken, It's looking mighty good! Now are your friends doing the work?
Thanks....when it's done it should be really something.
Yes, and they are getting paid (reduced rate) as well. My buddy is like me...in the fact that we enjoy building construction on our day's off of the fire department. That skill allowed me to gain "sweat equity" in our prior properties. Now that I am no longer physically capable of doing the work...these guy's are helping me out big time.

Here is our kitchen that I gutted before we moved in. The actual before pic is on another CD...but this will give you an idea anyhow.

"Before"

"After"

Ken, We only pay $180 a month on our house because the interest is so low.
That's awesome Martha....if we could be in that situation...life would get so much easier for us. Florida used to be affordable...now...not so much. That's great that you found your friend....sounds like she got the chance to see the world....a nice portion of it anyhow.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Ken, What a beautiful kitchen. Is the countertop granite? I want to get a new countertop but we are going to use formica that looks like granite. I have oak cabinets that still look fine so we won't have to replace them luckily.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Few more of my capable day's....I miss it so bad.:(

Here is a split from the kitchen...and the back room...which is now also gutted...and our family room.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
You've done beautiful work. It's hard when health issues stop us from doing what we love. We can relate.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Ken, It's beautiful. Is the countertop granite? I want to get new countertop in my kitchen. It is 26 running feet long (I think) and I found some that isn't granite but looks like it. That would be lighter and less expensive for us to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts