Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really hoping for some advice. My rottweiler is a 13 months old female. Really struggling with her. She's biting pretty hard and puncturing skin at times. Taken her to vets, had a trainer in. Been working on clicker training and positive reward. Unfortunately when something is in her head no clicker or food can distract her. Once she's been in the garden she comes in completely crazy. I have put the sofa back together 30 x today. I have literally worked with her all weekend. Absolutely no response. I was taking her for long walks. After 15 to 20 mins she will jump at me non stop holding onto the arm or hand which is painful. She's now trying and has successfully jumped at strangers. I now have to guide her away from people in general. Trainer recommended all long walks stop. And maximum of 15 mins. That's being done. Again still jumping still biting. My worry is she is going to nip someone. Its like all Training is fruitless. She's learning Absolutely nothing. She will pace from the back door to the patio door all day. Even after Training or walking. Any ideas guys ??? I'll have to rehome if not.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! This behavior is unacceptable!!! I'm not understanding this biting and nipping?? Is she doing this playfully? or from excitement ? or is she attacking people??
First thing is to forget this positive only crap. You need to be a balanced trainer. She needs consequences when she is behaving badly and praise when she is doing something right. First thing to do is get a crate. If she does not know how to settle....she has to learn. Put her in the crate when she is pacing back and forth...she needs to know she can relax. Rottweilers are a working breed...she needs a job to do. She needs far more exercise then a 15 minute walk. She needs to be able to full out run off leash. Can she retrieve a ball?? Teach her using two balls. What toys or chews does she have??

What kind of collar are you walking her on? Try a pinch or prong collar ....she will not be able to jump up and nip at people. Start training her every day twice per day for 5-10 minutes per day. She should know all of her basic commands..."sit", "down", "stay", "come", "drop it", "leave it", "stand", etc. and be able to do the commands consistently and everywhere. Get into a group training class.

For now start with Nothing In Life is Free ...do a google search. It's basically she works for everything. She wants to eat...she sits and waits till you give the command that she can eat, get her off of the furniture (keep a short leash on her in the house) and use it to get her off. Make her sit before she is leashed, make her sit before she goes out the door, etc.

Make sure she understands that you are in charge...to me it looks like she has taken over and is running the show. Start being a leader and let her know that you are running things not her.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums!! This behavior is unacceptable!!! I'm not understanding this biting and nipping?? Is she doing this playfully? or from excitement ? or is she attacking people??

Shes excited. However for us living in the house she will bite too hard.

First thing is to forget this positive only crap. You need to be a balanced trainer. She needs consequences when she is behaving badly and praise when she is doing something right. First thing to do is get a crate. If she does not know how to settle....she has to learn. Put her in the crate when she is pacing back and forth...she needs to know she can relax. Rottweilers are a working breed...she needs a job to do. She needs far more exercise then a 15 minute walk. She needs to be able to full out run off leash. Can she retrieve a ball?? Teach her using two balls. What toys or chews does she have??

She has a crate. In the crate she will bark non stop which we ignore. We had to get the crate as she started eating things in the house. So now crate is used every night and obvious if everyone out. It's for her safety and ours.

So the 15 minutes is because after 15 she's lunging and biting. During training she will bite or mouth your hand. It's like a frustration.

Unfortunately has no interest in balls. Took her to a dog park. Just me and her. Took 10 different objects. Wouldn't go after any.

What kind of collar are you walking her on? Try a pinch or prong collar ....she will not be able to jump up and nip at people. Start training her every day twice per day for 5-10 minutes per day. She should know all of her basic commands..."sit", "down", "stay", "come", "drop it", "leave it", "stand", etc. and be able to do the commands consistently and everywhere. Get into a group training class.

She was on a harness clipped underneath. Now she's on a collar which is fabric. I have a 30 metre training lead. I 100% cannot let her off. If she sees someone she will get them within 2 seconds jumping at them.

She was taught all commands the minute she came home. She's will sit for food, etc but it's like her concentration is non existent. Obviously her job is me getting her to do things. Going for a walk; I'm order to walk her I will spend upto 20 minutes going through getting her out of the door, sit stay, the minute she moves we repeat. Sit stay treat, after 20 minutes she figures out the door isn't opening until she compiles.

For now start with Nothing In Life is Free ...do a google search. It's basically she works for everything. She wants to eat...she sits and waits till you give the command that she can eat, get her off of the furniture (keep a short leash on her in the house) and use it to get her off. Make her sit before she is leashed, make her sit before she goes out the door, etc.

Tried it all. I have books from library, I have literally tried every constantly to get her to obey. She will obey for food. Soon as food is removed or she's got something I'm her mind nothing changes it.

Make sure she understands that you are in charge...to me it looks like she has taken over and is running the show. Start being a leader and let her know that you are running things not her.
100% no respect from her. Telling her off, putting her in crate is making absolutely no difference in terms of control. She literally acts like she doesn't give a crap.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
WHY??? If you had been doing things right from a puppy...she would respect you. Start with Nothing In Life Is Free. Use corrections! In a deep loud voice...tell her "NO" when she is doing something you don't like. Keep a leash on her at all times, and give her a leash pop for a correction... Get a trainer into your home to see what you are doing wrong. You need the training.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHY??? If you had been doing things right from a puppy...she would respect you. Start with Nothing In Life Is Free. Use corrections! In a deep loud voice...tell her "NO" when she is doing something you don't like. Keep a leash on her at all times, and give her a leash pop for a correction... Get a trainer into your home to see what you are doing wrong. You need the training.

This is exactly my issue. Why.... I'll definitely try the lead as of now in the house thanks for the suggestion much appreciated.

· Registered
242 Posts
A pinch collar will surely stop unwanted behaviour when worn. it has to be fitted correctly so read on it or ask someone to show you how it should be worn. It has to be high up on the neck and almost tight. It worked amazing on my Moose.

· Registered
185 Posts
Hi late to this
Agree with above, long walks are fine and will help tire them as long as they aren't forced. Loads of mental stimulation and training. If the dog is being an arsehole then it needs to be stopped and corrected. You have to be mentally stronger than Rotts not physically. If they dont do what is expected or told, then you stand your ground until they do, do it, even if it takes an hour. Give them an inch and they take a mile. They might sulk, grumble, give you "the stare" and bare teeth, but the breed can do this when testing to see how far you will go. This needs to be nipped in the bud now. At 13months it's dangerous. Win the battle of wills, seek help with an experienced working dog trainer but you need to incorporate all at home regardless of training before it gets even worse

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for all the comments.

Ok so she's been on a lead in the house. I'm taking her out 3 x a day. Morning lunch evening. I'm am making her sit in her crate before opening it. Closing the door if she moves until she understands. That's been successful. I'm taking her to the front door on the lead. She now sits In the same spot everytime. I open the door, again the minute she moves door shuts, she's rewarded for all good behaviour. I am making her wait until I'm ready, at that time after sit and stay I command come, slowly.

Doing the same feeding her, I make her walk slowly beside me. The minute she steps one step ahead I turn around make her sit and wait and start over.

Tried her briefly off the lead, obviously too soon same behaviour returns. So I will continue constant leading for now.

So my wife took bear once we both got in from work. I can hear my wife shouting extremely unpleasant words at bear. She's nipping my wife's hands, legs etc. Then bear is trying rigorously to jump on the sofa mouthing. I come get bear command her and she stops. Obviously this particular dog is clever in knowing she can get away with it with others. Which to me means she is definitely becoming dangerous.

I'm seeing dog handler Tuesday to engage in more training for me and bear. Perhaps I'll post a video. That might explain more.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Good that things are looking better!! What does your wife do when the dog starts nipping and mouth?? She needs to grow a pair...and be strong and forceful with her. If she were my dog...the dog start mouthing and nipping....I would walk right into her (even if you knock her over) while very loudly shouting NO!!! Then ask for a "sit" and praise. If she kept doing it...she would have a leash on and the leashed would get popped and again...very loudly and forcefully say NO!! If the dog stops praise. Then go into puppy pushups. Make her do a quick" sit.." then "down"...then "stand", "stay etc.". Does she know the "off" command??? This should be used for jumping up on you , or jumping up on beds or furniture.

Do some reading here about NILIF . It may help your wife too. https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/dog_commands_nothing-in-life-is-free.pdf

· Registered
11 Posts

Really good advice. I've had many Rottweilers and other large dogs and one of, if not the first thing you need any dog to understand is who is Alpha. I also find that "soft" training is not effective in most dogs like Rottweilers. A strong hand is necessary, and if you are scared of your dog, you need to get help. Right now, we have quite a menagerie of dogs, a Rottweiler an Akita, an English Bull Terrier, a Pug Boxer mix and a Pug. I've been working with my wife, so all the dogs respect her as they do me. BBD, I have taken your advice over the years and that has helped us have a happy home with our crazy pack.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Really good advice. I've had many Rottweilers and other large dogs and one of, if not the first thing you need any dog to understand is who is Alpha. I also find that "soft" training is not effective in most dogs like Rottweilers. A strong hand is necessary, and if you are scared of your dog, you need to get help. Right now, we have quite a menagerie of dogs, a Rottweiler an Akita, an English Bull Terrier, a Pug Boxer mix and a Pug. I've been working with my wife, so all the dogs respect her as they do me. BBD, I have taken your advice over the years and that has helped us have a happy home with our crazy pack.
I'm not so sure of this "Alpha" stuff!!! I just think owner's should be the leader, and in charge. When a pup is learning, I do believe in being positive and teaching them with positive methods...such as praise, treats, rewards. Once the pup is mature and understands what you want and you are sure they do, and they misbehave or don't follow through there must be consequences. Either a loud voice correction or a leash correction. Owner must be firm but fair with their dog.

I would call it balanced training and I agree, some breeds just need a stronger hand, and the owner must realize they need the training and to get help.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
You are doing good!!! You must get her to stop that jumping up. You seem to encourage it at times also in the video. If she were my dog...she would be made to sit and leashed up right away...and if she started to jump up while on leash...she would get a leash pop and a OFF command...and then a "SIT". Do not encourage her to ever jump...she must have '4 on the floor'...to get any attention. If she continued to try the jumping step on the leash about half way down...with a "OFF" command. She is not a young puppy...and it's too rough a behavior for an almost adult dog.

I would also learn when to give the treat...your timing is off. You are treating her when she has done nothing. Use praise more...less treats. If she does something really good....say "YES"...and praise or treat. Also...don't allow her to sit and watch the cars go by....she is getting overexcited and ready to lunge....keep moving and tell her "leave it". Another command you can teach her is to "stay"...she really does not know that now. Start slowly. You should be able to get her to "stay" even if you leave the room...but it takes time. With the "stay" command you need a release word...such as "Free", or "OK"...so she knows she can move. If you just want her to stop for a few seconds till the next command or exercise is going to happen...then teach her "wait".

I think you are going to do well with her if you are consistent and everyone in your home is too with her training. I still would get a trainer over to get hands on one on one training with Bear. Trainer can help you with timing of corrections and praise. The treats will be phased out slowly once Bear knows her commands and can do them in all situations. You can still do treats...but they can be random. Is it possible to get her in a group obedience class. She is smart...and wants to learn and needs leadership. The classes will teach you how to teach her. Do 5-10 minutes of training a couple of times per day...and use her commands during the day.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome thanks for the reply. I know I'm not accurate but this is massive progress considering where we were a few weeks ago. I'm seeing a rottweiler trainer Tuesday.

With the traffic. Bear is hyper around anything moving. What I had in mind was desensitisation of traffic thats why i made her sit.

The reason for treats is me trying hard to get her focus on me and not on everything else. I done a test today and took her to a park. She was so distracted by dogs off leads, other people that was a complete fail and way too soon. So no further public places for now. Fail on my behalf. Keep it simple.

I'm doing 10 to 15 minutes 3 x a day currently.

I have to say best advice so far was leading in the house. Thats broken 3/4 of that behaviour.

I'll keep trying. I also look at my own training techniques. My previous two labradors were completely different. Much easier. Rottweilers certainly need more input

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Keep it up!! Sitting watching the traffic is not a good way to desensitize...too much time for her to get worked up and hyper. Keep walking her near traffic...but keep her moving. If she starts to tense up and look like she may start lunging even while moving...give her a leash pop, and a "leave it" command and keep on moving and praise when she no longer is interested in the moving traffic.

I forgot to ask you....how much exercise does she get per day? It looks like you don't have a yard/garden. When can she run around free...smelling, sniffing and enjoying time outside? She is a young dog and requires at least a good hour of cardiovascular exercise. Can she retrieve a ball? A dog that is tired will be a good dog. :)

You will find that obedience training and making her mind her manners will also wear her out...but she needs to be able to run and get her energy out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts