Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject came up on another forum.I guess they make beds for older dogs and it cost a pretty penny.This is what I did and it works great if you have the room.

I bought a super single water bed(for people) take the bottom base off.Set up the water bed on the floor(with mattress frame and bumper rails)fill it up.I had sheets a thick quilt and a sleeping bag over the bed(tuck everything tight)don't want anyone to poke a hole in it.I set it up just like a bed pillows and all.

Zelda loved it,I hadthe heatset up high(which is still lower then their body heat).It really helped with her arthrites and I was even able to cut out her joint meds total.

This will also help a dog with bad hips,sleeping on the water and heated is great for them.

Water beds are pretty cheep,you can find them in the paper or at yard sales.I think I payed 100.00 dollars for the bed I have,but it is worth it if you have an old dog.

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They will get use to it once they find out how comfortable it is to them.A mattress will work,but the heated water is what they need for joints.Laying on the waterbed puts no pressure on the old dogs bones.They will get up and not be so stiff.Zelda use to fall into such a deep sleep that you could walk right up to her and she would not even know it.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Donna where did you put the bed ? in what room? It's a good idea for older dogs ! I have a king size water bed myself with coils. Kitty loves the water bed and gets in and out with no problem , and sleeps there all day !!! but when I got my Zeus we had him up there once and he was wooooooooo whats up with this
he didn't like it , maybe it was the hight of it ( it's really a high bed ) but anyway I don't want another Rott in my bed ,Zeus sleeps right next to me on the floor at the doorway, his choice and I think it's a protector thingy he has about him. and now with the puppies I can't have 4 in my bed their wouldn't be any room for ME !!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zelda had her own room,now it is Daphney's room.

I just had a super single,it still takes up alot of room but they love it.

Donna

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.