Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 20 month old Rotty/Lab mix has been improving on the leash. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that she was a major puller but that has gotten much better with positive reinforcement. We opted not to go with the prong collar. Shade has some of the strangest behaviors I have ever seen in a dog. When we put her harness on for a walk, she will sit and sulk for a few minutes to 10 minutes and then pop up happy and eager to walk. . We still have an issue with aggressiveness which again is interesting. She has learned to coexist with our cat (who is tiny) and seems to do well with small dogs and wants to play with our neighbors Chiwa wa (sp) - but when she sees or is approached by a dog her size or larger, she gets extremely aggressive and vicious. It is hard to understand the extreme change in behavior - she is extremely friendly and lovable with people and as I said does well with small dogs. I am afraid that she or another dog is going to get hurt - seems like just a matter of time and chance. We are looking into trainers in our area but any other advice would be appreciated

tx

jimBOW

·
Registered
200 Posts
A harness was designed to pull things not to stop a dog from pulling. We went to an awesome trainer that had both our boys walking perfectly after one lesson. She used a prong collar and an e-collar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A harness was designed to pull things not to stop a dog from pulling. We went to an awesome trainer that had both our boys walking perfectly after one lesson. She used a prong collar and an e-collar.
Shade has improved immensely on the pulling issue - even when encountering people (which she craves love from not aggression). She still reacts aggressively when encountering dogs her size or larger while doing fine with small dogs - thinking she has had a bad exp in the past - we take her to a dog park so she can see other dogs interacting peacefully (dog TV) and in some instances she can pass on by other large dogs on a walking trail - but other times I dunno, maybe she senses aggression from the other dog??
Tx for the input
jimBOW

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
She may never do well with other dogs. The best thing to do is to teach her how to ignore other dogs...she does not need to be friends with them or even acknowledge them. I have always taught me dogs "mind your business" command and keep my dog moving so that they do not stop and stare and focus on the other dog. Either a quick turn, or just keep on moving has worked. You may have to come to the realization that your dog will never be social.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts