Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So I recently got a rottweiler puppy. She's about 11 weeks old. I don't think she is fully housebroken yet, even though I take her out for pee and poo and she does it. I am home all day with her, so I take her out before and after meals or if I feel like she is about to pee. However at times while she is indoors, I have noticed that she has started to urinate a lot even though I take her out to relieve herself. Over time I thought she should have a better bladder control, but it just does not seem to get better only worse. She urinates after every 30 minutes during the day or sometimes goes longer. Which is usually at times if I leave the room and come back, and she has urinated. Or If I am not giving her attention while she is in the room with me. Not only she will go and urinate but then also defecate. Apart from ruling out health issues, I do think it is a behavioural problem, has anyone also faced this issue with their puppy? If so, how do I deal with it?

Help a new rottie mom out. It's driving me nuts the amount of times I have to clean her pee.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
She's a very young puppy and still has no control over her bladder. If she urinates or poos in the house it's your mistake not hers. You should be crate training her, and not allowing her to be wandering around, or be alone in a room if you cannot watch her. Very normal for a pup that is not sleeping or confined to be peeing every 30 minutes. Most pups have to pee/poop after eating also. Buy a crate and start reading on how to crate train. She will train much quicker if she is confined to a crate when you cannot keep your eyes on her. I would not consider her to be house trained reliably till she is about 6 months old or so. The crate will teach her to 'hold it' till you take her outside to do her business. She may not give you signals that she has 'to go...so just take her outside on a very regular schedule. The older she gets the longer she will be able to hold it. Crates teach the pup not to poo or pee in their bed...best way to start is to feed her meals in the crate...so she knows it's a good place. She may not like the crate the first little while....but it will be a safe place for her to be, and avoid her walking around peeing and pooing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi
Yes 11weeks is extremely young. If your at home that's great for toilet training. You should be taking her out every 30mins, whether she looks like she wants to go or not. (This is when she is not sleeping or resting). Definitely get a crate if you don't have on and as bbd said, feed her and leave water in the crate. My last rott boy took about 4months to potty train. My current Male took 4days and was trained before 9weeks. He only peed twice in the house in the 1st day or too so was extremely quick and I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near that fast. The "every 30mins" thing really works wonders in my eyes, yes it's hard work at times, but I'd take that all day long over an untrained larger pup peeing and pooping constantly day after day. Also no pads, if you are using them. This in my experience only hinders learning and confuses the hell out of the pup. They have enough to take in at this age, they don't need to have more confusion. Keep it simple and consistent and you'll be surprised how quick they catch on

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree, we had a puppy last year and another one this year. You have to watch them all the time (lucky I"m retired). Our little guy is now 4 months and he is now fully house trained. It's a lot of work but keep an eye on him whenever he is out of his crate and take him out constantly. Every hour worked for me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What everyone else has said - but, also - what do you clean up with? I would suggest a good enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell. Even if we can't smell it, they can, so an enzyme cleaner is a big help.

(Edit: because if they smell pee somewhere, they see that as an okay spot to go - so ridding your house from the smell is essential)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for the responses! This does help a lot.

Yes I do take her out, even if I feel like slightest she wants to pee or poo, I take her out. Whenevr she does her business where she is supposed to I treat and praise her. But she just pees at the most randomest times indoors which I thought was maybe behavioural. Also yes, I do have a crate, I feed her in the crate so she does have good association with it. but ONLY when she is being fed there otherwise, she doesnt last a few minutes without crying and whinning very loudly and she peed inside her crate and ever since I don't crate her. Because I feel like she pees when she is anxious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What everyone else has said - but, also - what do you clean up with? I would suggest a good enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell. Even if we can't smell it, they can, so an enzyme cleaner is a big help.

(Edit: because if they smell pee somewhere, they see that as an okay spot to go - so ridding your house from the smell is essential)
Hi
Yes 11weeks is extremely young. If your at home that's great for toilet training. You should be taking her out every 30mins, whether she looks like she wants to go or not. (This is when she is not sleeping or resting). Definitely get a crate if you don't have on and as bbd said, feed her and leave water in the crate. My last rott boy took about 4months to potty train. My current Male took 4days and was trained before 9weeks. He only peed twice in the house in the 1st day or too so was extremely quick and I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near that fast. The "every 30mins" thing really works wonders in my eyes, yes it's hard work at times, but I'd take that all day long over an untrained larger pup peeing and pooping constantly day after day. Also no pads, if you are using them. This in my experience only hinders learning and confuses the hell out of the pup. They have enough to take in at this age, they don't need to have more confusion. Keep it simple and consistent and you'll be surprised how quick they catch on
Thank you for pointing that out, I was confused if I was potty training her to go outside. Should I still place puppy pee pads or not? IF I do both, does that mess her up and confuse her training?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I live in pakistan,we don't get a lot of things easily locally.Could you tell me a DIY enzyme cleaner?

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Thank you guys for the responses! This does help a lot.

Yes I do take her out, even if I feel like slightest she wants to pee or poo, I take her out. Whenevr she does her business where she is supposed to I treat and praise her. But she just pees at the most randomest times indoors which I thought was maybe behavioural. Also yes, I do have a crate, I feed her in the crate so she does have good association with it. but ONLY when she is being fed there otherwise, she doesnt last a few minutes without crying and whinning very loudly and she peed inside her crate and ever since I don't crate her. Because I feel like she pees when she is anxious.
You need to harden your heart, and just let her make noise. If you know she is empty, and is ready for a nap...in the crate she goes...and go about your business. Puppies do pee in their crate sometimes....but just let her be. Does she have bedding in the crate? How big is the crate? It should be just small enough that she can lay down, and stand up. If it's bigger then put something in the back of it to block it and make it smaller. If she is peeing in the crate take out any bedding for now...she can just lay on the crate liner . She needs to learn to enjoy her safe place in the crate and being confined. Do NOT use puppy pads!!! Those not only are confusing.... they actually teach your pup that it's ok to pee in the house. Take her out more frequently, and use her crate!! If she continues to pee more than you think she should then get her checked out by the vet for a UTI (urinary tract infection). It's common in girl puppies.

Also another trick if you have her in a room with you, is to keep her leashed to you. Don't let her start wandering around...and you will catch her signals that she needs to go pee.

Reactions: Dj86

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's a very young puppy and still has no control over her bladder. If she urinates or poos in the house it's your mistake not hers. You should be crate training her, and not allowing her to be wandering around, or be alone in a room if you cannot watch her. Very normal for a pup that is not sleeping or confined to be peeing every 30 minutes. Most pups have to pee/poop after eating also. Buy a crate and start reading on how to crate train. She will train much quicker if she is confined to a crate when you cannot keep your eyes on her. I would not consider her to be house trained reliably till she is about 6 months old or so. The crate will teach her to 'hold it' till you take her outside to do her business. She may not give you signals that she has 'to go...so just take her outside on a very regular schedule. The older she gets the longer she will be able to hold it. Crates teach the pup not to poo or pee in their bed...best way to start is to feed her meals in the crate...so she knows it's a good place. She may not like the crate the first little while....but it will be a safe place for her to be, and avoid her walking around peeing and pooing.
You need to harden your heart, and just let her make noise. If you know she is empty, and is ready for a nap...in the crate she goes...and go about your business. Puppies do pee in their crate sometimes....but just let her be. Does she have bedding in the crate? How big is the crate? It should be just small enough that she can lay down, and stand up. If it's bigger then put something in the back of it to block it and make it smaller. If she is peeing in the crate take out any bedding for now...she can just lay on the crate liner . She needs to learn to enjoy her safe place in the crate and being confined. Do NOT use puppy pads!!! Those not only are confusing.... they actually teach your pup that it's ok to pee in the house. Take her out more frequently, and use her crate!! If she continues to pee more than you think she should then get her checked out by the vet for a UTI (urinary tract infection). It's common in girl puppies.

Also another trick if you have her in a room with you, is to keep her leashed to you. Don't let her start wandering around...and you will catch her signals that she needs to go pee.
She takes out very loud yelps like she's been shot or something. But I will actively get on the crate training again.So the crate size is 28x24x24. Its enough for her to lie down and for her to sit. I used to put bedding in there but since after she peed I removed it. Thank you so much for the advice! This community is a blessing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
So I recently got a rottweiler puppy. She's about 11 weeks old. I don't think she is fully housebroken yet, even though I take her out for pee and poo and she does it. I am home all day with her, so I take her out before and after meals or if I feel like she is about to pee. However at times while she is indoors, I have noticed that she has started to urinate a lot even though I take her out to relieve herself. Over time I thought she should have a better bladder control, but it just does not seem to get better only worse. She urinates after every 30 minutes during the day or sometimes goes longer. Which is usually at times if I leave the room and come back, and she has urinated. Or If I am not giving her attention while she is in the room with me. Not only she will go and urinate but then also defecate. Apart from ruling out health issues, I do think it is a behavioural problem, has anyone also faced this issue with their puppy? If so, how do I deal with it?

Help a new rottie mom out. It's driving me nuts the amount of times I have to clean her pee.
When Finn was a pup I tied a small bell on the door and everytime I took him out to go to the bathroom I rang the bell with his nose, it took a couple of days and he was ringing the bell to go out, I was suprised how quick he learned.​

·
Registered
55 Posts
She takes out very loud yelps like she's been shot or something. But I will actively get on the crate training again.So the crate size is 28x24x24. Its enough for her to lie down and for her to sit. I used to put bedding in there but since after she peed I removed it. Thank you so much for the advice! This community is a blessing!
That’s a small crate! You will need to get a larger one once your pup is a month or two older.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone, so its been a week since I have started training kaiza with the crate. She still pees inside the crate at times. The only time she doesn't is when at night while we are sleeping. Otherwise during the day, it's just a nuisance. Can I get more help please :(

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Hey everyone, so its been a week since I have started training kaiza with the crate. She still pees inside the crate at times. The only time she doesn't is when at night while we are sleeping. Otherwise during the day, it's just a nuisance. Can I get more help please :(
You need to make sure that she is empty before she goes into the crate. When she has an accident in the crate it could be because she got used to peeing in the crate and being dirty? Take her out far more often then you think she needs to go. Use the crate for when you cannot watch her and at night, and if you can during the day leash her to you, and make sure she is confined to one room. Put up baby gates so she does not have so much freedom. If it continues take her to the vet with a fresh urine sample.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts