Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dallas has been getting herself into trouble here of late. She lays by her food bowl, and will not let any other animal touch it. So for that I have been picking it up. Then she will not letany animal drink from her bowl. She snaped at our girl cat the other night. That got her in trouble yet again. Now she has got where if you are male and don't live here you can't come in.

She had a heat in july, I keep her penned up or in the house with me. Yes I took her to the vet and he said he could not be 100% sure but she was not pregnant. So now I don't know what to do. She is just down right moody. She still has weight I want off before I have her fixed. To me she is still to over weight to go under the knife.

My question is what is up with the moodyness? Does anyone else rottie do this? This is so out of carector for her. And note, I did ask about giving her a shot to be sure she did not have pups, I was told do to her history of carring pups it was not a good idea, and if she was at this stage it could be dangerous to her health if she is. Donna can you explain that to me? ( Dallas is going for a second oppion next week)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Some females get moody before and after their heat cycle.

With her history watch for an infection.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV align=center>Pyometra
Pyometra is the most serious uterine infection that a female dog can contract. It is potentially life-threatening. The serious complications caused by pyometra cause most medical professionals to expect morbidity and mortality despite appropriate treatment.
Most people think that bacteria originating in the uterus is the cause of pyometra. Actually hormonal responses change the environment in the uterus. The hormone progesterone stimulates the increase of secretions in the endometrial glands. The accumulated fluid in the uterus provides a wonderful media for bacterial growth. The environmental change in the uterus may be caused by a hormonal imbalance, retained placenta, or occur 2-3 weeks after the beginning of the estrus cycle, during breeding, or during the whelping process. Bacteria colonizes the fluid-filled uterus. The result is the development of pyometra. The bacterial invasion is thought to originate from bacteria in the vagina.
Some sources believe that the condition is most prevalent four to six weeks after estrus. It seems to be more common in older female (over 5 years) but there are cases that have been recorded in females contracting pyometra after their very first estrus. Close observation of the bitch during the two month period after she has been in heat seems to be wise.
Pyometra is classified as open or closed infection. Open pyometra is usually easier to diagnose. There will be evidence of discharge from the vulva that MAY appear like blood-tinged pus. There may or may not be odor. A female with a closed infection may be near septic shock before the symptoms are obvious. She may really be like a dead dog walking. A terrible description but very true! My "Buffy" died of Pyometra. The vet preformed surgery, but it was too late...she had too much toxic poisoning in her system. My vet at the time also told me that a female in heat , put with two different males can get Pyometra.</DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
SIGNS OF PYOMETRA:
LETHARGY
LACK OF APPETITE
DRINKING AND URINATING EXCESSIVELY
VOMITING
DEHYDRATION
FEVER (20 % OF CASES)
SHOCK
ABDOMINAL DISTENTION AND/OR TENDERNESS
Donna

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That was a good answer. I was thinking PMS. Oh well

My male acts kinda funny at times. The heat ( weather ) gets him going. Jealousy gets him going too. I'm surprised at just how jealous a dog can get.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My Apollo is a jealous one too, if you call one of the over dogs he comes right over and will push them right out of his way ! My son calls him Mr.jealous man , he wants all of the attention all the time ,(it's hard to ignore him he's so sweet )when I don'tcall him and he does thisI just ignore him, I don't talk to him at all I just push him away...he's getting the drift but he is a determinedlittle bugger

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had her checked for infection. And there was none. She has been a picky eater, but it has been really hot here. She eats at night after it cools off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.