Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We have had Bella since early January (rescued - apprpoximate age 1.5 yrs). She is our 4th rottie. She was found as a stray, no chip, collar etc.
Could NOT understand how someone could discard her... she was plastered all over social media and how could the owners not coming looking for her.
HA! We found out. She was sent away to obedience school for 3.5 weeks. She has learned to walk on a leash without dislocating our shoulders. She now does not become a wild stallion when a car passes.... still has issues with other dogs and sometimes people when we see them on our walks.

So, what is so bad, you ask! We bought her a chew proof bed and she has chewed it. Now we only let her sleep on a comfy bed at night. Last night, she was busy chewing on it.
She tends to be very bossy and the previous owners let her do what she wanted to do and she had not set of rules. She does sit when she is going to get her food or a treat but other than that, it's hit or miss.

I think she suffers from anxiety, she is bored, seperation anxiety.... and what i fear the most is that when she gets older, will be ever be able to let her out of the crate when we are not home only to find total and utter destruction.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm glad the training helped Bella. Do you have any resources to keep up at-home training? It might help with some of the reactivity etc. Otherwise, keep up the consistency.

Agis and Xerxes (our beagle) chew beds. Xerxes is the worst. We've been through a bunch of beds. No matter how hard to chew they are. This will be what we try next: Kuranda Dog Beds® | Chew Proof Dog Beds

Neb is totally reliable in the house - we haven't tried Agis - but Xerxes is not. He chews electronics. When we first had him and thought he'd be okay, we went out and he chewed through the cord to my work laptop (this is a few years ago at my old job). So he and Neb stay in one bedroom (gated with a little door that the cats can go in and out) and Agis stays in the other bedroom (same gate) as we don't trust him with OUR bed yet (whereas Xerxes and Neb are fine with it). Agis loves the second bedroom, no idea why, but it's his favourite place. But I don't think there's anything wrong with crating when you're not home - make the crate her safe space and her den.

We thought we'd never be able to have Neb uncrated. I think around 7 or 8 years old was when he started not being crated.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
There usually is a backstory to why a dog is dumped at a shelter or found as a stray. Does not mean that the dogs are bad...it does often mean that some work has to be put into the dog.
You've only had her a short time (relative to her life). In that short time she has also been away from you for 3 weeks. Honestly, treat her like you would a 12 week old puppy. A puppy you would not give a good dog bed to, you would also confine her to a crate when she could not be watched. You would start teaching manners and boundaries (which this dog never got). She's like an overgrown pup right now...and needs to know the rules.

I've always found that with bed chewers the best item to give them to lay on is either an old flannel sheet, or a fleece blanket. If you give them a comforter they will make a hole and pull all of the stuffing out! :(
Some dogs just don't do well with too much freedom quickly. Baby steps...and very slowly till you think you can trust her...even if it may take a year.

I would implement NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)...do a google search...and do this with her every minute that she is awake. She wants anything she has to "sit"...she needs her leash on...you wait patiently till she sits quietly (even if it takes 5 minutes)...you want to go through the door, or open the gate...she "sits" and waits till you release her,etc.
This is a way to set good manners into her without any negative aspects. She may need to do 30-50 "sits" per day...but this will teach her some self control, and that you are in charge. It's a slow process...but it will help teach that teenage brain to reset.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There usually is a backstory to why a dog is dumped at a shelter or found as a stray. Does not mean that the dogs are bad...it does often mean that some work has to be put into the dog.
You've only had her a short time (relative to her life). In that short time she has also been away from you for 3 weeks. Honestly, treat her like you would a 12 week old puppy. A puppy you would not give a good dog bed to, you would also confine her to a crate when she could not be watched. You would start teaching manners and boundaries (which this dog never got). She's like an overgrown pup right now...and needs to know the rules.

I've always found that with bed chewers the best item to give them to lay on is either an old flannel sheet, or a fleece blanket. If you give them a comforter they will make a hole and pull all of the stuffing out! :(
Some dogs just don't do well with too much freedom quickly. Baby steps...and very slowly till you think you can trust her...even if it may take a year.

I would implement NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)...do a google search...and do this with her every minute that she is awake. She wants anything she has to "sit"...she needs her leash on...you wait patiently till she sits quietly (even if it takes 5 minutes)...you want to go through the door, or open the gate...she "sits" and waits till you release her,etc.
This is a way to set good manners into her without any negative aspects. She may need to do 30-50 "sits" per day...but this will teach her some self control, and that you are in charge. It's a slow process...but it will help teach that teenage brain to reset.
Thank you for your post and i will read NILIF! She is really trying me and it makes me SO ANGRY that who ever had her in the past did absolutely nothing with her.. to teach her. This morning, i let her out of her crate while I was preparing my breakfast. Note: my husband had her out to relieve herself at around 530 am and it was 7:15 am. She casually walked away... just a few feet and squated to pee, didn't hide it, didn't let me know.. she knows she goes out the back door to the yard. Is she being spiteful or was her previous house a potty inside? She has pee'd a number of times in the house already. At her age, she should be able to hold it, she does while in her crate.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I doubt she's being spiteful. Agis went through something similar. Consistency and enzyme cleaner were our friends. It's possible she's used to going outside right after leaving her crate (like first thing in the morning?), so I'd try to meet that expectation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was just 2.5 hours prior that she went outside... A dog at 1.5 y/o should be able to hold it. If she had a UTI, she would be peeing in her crate during the day.
She knows the door to the yard and w/o warning, she just squatted as if that spot was just fine for her to go. It hasn't happened just once or twice either.
The more time that goes by, the more I learn why this dog was let go. Her prior humans didn't care and she simply did whatever she wanted to do. So I am mad at whoever they might be.... This is my husband's dog so to speak.... and his cleanup consists of wiping up the puddle and using the little green steam machine... He would NEVER take the time to use cleaners, and multiple passes of peroxide soaks, etc., it all falls on me. Getting the urine oder takes alot of time and work and he won't do it.... We have new carpet too and I happen to be on the floor the other day grinding Xena's nails... I smelt urine. I'm sure it was Bella's doing too. My husband knows I will now have a time limit.. We are not newbies, we've raised rotties from very young ages and if they are naughty as they mature, it's on us perhaps.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think even if she is able to hold, doesn't mean she knows to hold it.

It is very frustrating though. Is there anyway you can read your husband the riot act and getting him to help with the cleaning? That can't be helping.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Honestly, I know how frustrating it is. I fostered many dogs...there were times...I was ready to send a foster to another home...I was so fed up. I mentioned in my other post...treat her like a 12 week old puppy. Don't assume that she knows anything...you are starting from scratch. Just because her body is mature...does not mean her mind is mature.
You would not make a 12 week old hold it for 2.5 hours...assume the "pup" needs to go out every hour, or even more often and let her out as soon as she comes out of her crate.

Your husband needs to step up too...it's not fair for you to get frustrated and worn out taking care of Bella's needs. If she is still pissing in the house..then she still is not house trained. A normal dog that had been housetrained right as a puppy, would be trustworthy at 1.5 years of age. A dog that did not have training, rules and boundries...will still be needing to learn about housetraining. Can you give her less freedom in the house? Put up some baby gates so that she can only be in the kitchen and away from any carpet? Keep her in the crate, or leashed to you when you cannot keep an eagle eye on her,
Give her a chance and if you are still not making any headway...then see if you can get a Rottweiler rescue involved. She may just need another home to thrive in. Does not mean you are a bad owner...just that she is not the right dog for you.

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I know how frustrating it is. I fostered many dogs...there were times...I was ready to send a foster to another home...I was so fed up. I mentioned in my other post...treat her like a 12 week old puppy. Don't assume that she knows anything...you are starting from scratch. Just because her body is mature...does not mean her mind is mature.
You would not make a 12 week old hold it for 2.5 hours...assume the "pup" needs to go out every hour, or even more often and let her out as soon as she comes out of her crate.

Your husband needs to step up too...it's not fair for you to get frustrated and worn out taking care of Bella's needs. If she is still pissing in the house..then she still is not house trained. A normal dog that had been housetrained right as a puppy, would be trustworthy at 1.5 years of age. A dog that did not have training, rules and boundries...will still be needing to learn about housetraining. Can you give her less freedom in the house? Put up some baby gates so that she can only be in the kitchen and away from any carpet? Keep her in the crate, or leashed to you when you cannot keep an eagle eye on her,
Give her a chance and if you are still not making any headway...then see if you can get a Rottweiler rescue involved. She may just need another home to thrive in. Does not mean you are a bad owner...just that she is not the right dog for you.
Bella doesn't have much freedom right now... She has a leash attached to her while she is in the family room which is Xena's room.
This morning, i let her out of her crate to be with me in the kitchen area while i prepared food. The room isn't that big where I can't keep an eye on her...
She walked away from me on the other side of the kitchen island and i went to look at her and she was caught squatting. I went balistic!!!
I will get her outside more to relieve herself and reward with treats when she is pee'ing. I have a deadline with her in mind which I will be speaking with my husband about.
He will fight me to the end on handing her over to someone else, etc. We have a huge investment in her when we sent her away to boarding school. She cost us thousands to fix. ARGH!
So this will be a huge fight.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
I know it's hard to do...but you are going to have to change your mindset. You've had two mature, easy to live with dogs for a long time. Now you have this young punk dog, that seems like she is vengeful and is only there to drive you crazy...
:rolleyes: Take a deep breathe...and if she is getting on your nerves...put her in her crate and take Xena out for a walk while you cool down. Have you had a trainer to the house to get hands on pointers with Bella??

I do remember at times dogs can be so frustrating and so much work...but eventually they learn, they calm down...and they mature...and they can become the BEST dog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's hard to do...but you are going to have to change your mindset. You've had two mature, easy to live with dogs for a long time. Now you have this young punk dog, that seems like she is vengeful and is only there to drive you crazy...
:rolleyes: Take a deep breathe...and if she is getting on your nerves...put her in her crate and take Xena out for a walk while you cool down. Have you had a trainer to the house to get hands on pointers with Bella??

I do remember at times dogs can be so frustrating and so much work...but eventually they learn, they calm down...and they mature...and they can become the BEST dog.
You are absolutely correct on everything you noted.... Sometimes it's hard for me to remember all the horrible things that my other girls have done as young pups.... I laugh at them now. Xena is an absolute perfect angel and she drove me insane as a young dog...

As for a trainer, we sent her to boarding school and she stayed there for almost 4 weeks, she learned how to behave on a leash, get over her fears that made her very leash agressive, etc.
A standard trainer couldn't have helped her, she was so bad.
Housebreaking her is up to us.
The professional training includes us going to the facility once weekly so they can teach us. They also guarantee their training for the lifetime ownership of Bella.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you have every right to be mad at previous owners but thats probably not an emotion that's helping you. You are doing an amazing thing helping this poor dog that's had a terrible start. Puppies that are "on track" are a handful so having an 18 month old baby must be even harder!

You will get there but forgetting her real age and pretending she is a huge 8 week old pup seems like a good plan. Keep venting on here and if your husband keeps shirking duties maybe just send him to a new foster home? 😁

·
Registered
321 Posts
You are absolutely correct on everything you noted.... Sometimes it's hard for me to remember all the horrible things that my other girls have done as young pups.... I laugh at them now. Xena is an absolute perfect angel and she drove me insane as a young dog...
Ah yes, I thought Agis was just the toughest puppy ever - until my brother, who rented the basement of the house I was living in and was out of work so around during the day to help out - reminded me what Neb was like - I was remember puppy Neb through rose-coloured glasses!!!!! He said, Neb wasn't perfect from the get-go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haven't read all posts so apologies if I'm repeating anything. I would go back to puppy potty training. Taking her out every 30mins to an hour (although she can hold it longer) and be regimented and consistent with this no matter what and lots of praise when she does go outside. Sounds simple but the consistency is the hard part. Attitude or not, she will get it eventually as long as you follow it through to the end. You can't change her past, but you can change her future and you are doing a great job. Good luck 👍

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
How are things going with Bella? I'm hoping 'no news is good news'? Update if you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts