Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have a 10 month old rottie pup who's having a bit of ear bother 馃ズhe keeps shaking his head. The vet tried a drop solution but this seems to have made it worse. His ear is fine except quite waxy which is brown. (photos below) can anyone recommend the best cleaning solution for rotties or anything that can help. My poor boy 馃ズ
Nose Hair Head Lip Eyebrow
Head Eye Dog breed Sky Cloud

Super Moderator
Those are nasty looking ears! Are you sure that his ears are not yeasty?? Healthy Rottweilers eating a good diet usually don't have ear problems. I would go to the pet food store and see if they have an ear solution that will get rid of yeast and bacteria. Also I know on Amazon there are some good ear products sold.

Does you dog swim, or go into the water? If so you need to use a product each time the ears get wet...something that dries the ear. For now I would try mixing a bit of apple cider vinegar with water (half and half) and just wipe the ears out with that...don't pour it in. If there are raw spots don't use it.

What dog food are you feeding?? I have found that dog foods high in carbs...such as wheat, corn, soy, etc...can often make the ears yeasty. Get your dog on a meat based dog food and that should help with the ears and overall health.

Registered
Very nasty looking. Our last Rotti loved to swim and had many ear problems. I don't know what it was called but our Vet gave us maintenance drops. It had 2% Burows/1% Hydrocortisone 100ml. It kept my boys ear infections under control.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are nasty looking ears! Are you sure that his ears are not yeasty?? Healthy Rottweilers eating a good diet usually don't have ear problems. I would go to the pet food store and see if they have an ear solution that will get rid of yeast and bacteria. Also I know on Amazon there are some good ear products sold.

Does you dog swim, or go into the water? If so you need to use a product each time the ears get wet...something that dries the ear. For now I would try mixing a bit of apple cider vinegar with water (half and half) and just wipe the ears out with that...don't pour it in. If there are raw spots don't use it.

What dog food are you feeding?? I have found that dog foods high in carbs...such as wheat, corn, soy, etc...can often make the ears yeasty. Get your dog on a meat based dog food and that should help with the ears and overall health.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice! No definetly not yeasty! He is on a raw diet so I can't see it being this. YES! he loves the water! We just usually towel dry his ears but this could be the reason! He is at the vets tomorrow so I will see what they give us. Thank you for the remedy! I will look into ear cleaning solutions also :)
Very nasty looking. Our last Rotti loved to swim and had many ear problems. I don't know what it was called but our Vet gave us maintenance drops. It had 2% Burows/1% Hydrocortisone 100ml. It kept my boys ear infections under control.
Hopefully the vet can give us something better tomorrow for him 馃槉 he isn't phased or shaking as much as he is but I just want them clear 馃様 he does loves the water any opportunity he has he's in! Okay I may mention this tomorrow and see if they can give us a solution. Thank you for your help :)

Registered
Hi,

Thank you for the advice! No definetly not yeasty! He is on a raw diet so I can't see it being this. YES! he loves the water! We just usually towel dry his ears but this could be the reason! He is at the vets tomorrow so I will see what they give us. Thank you for the remedy! I will look into ear cleaning solutions also :)

Hopefully the vet can give us something better tomorrow for him 馃槉 he isn't phased or shaking as much as he is but I just want them clear 馃様 he does loves the water any opportunity he has he's in! Okay I may mention this tomorrow and see if they can give us a solution. Thank you for your help :)
I don鈥檛 remember exactly what it was but my girl had that problem and it is difficult to get rid of. You have to be diligent with cleaning their ears and not letting water get in there at bath time.

heres what our vet gave us that worked. First we tried Otomax but the infection/fungus or whatever it was kept recurring. Then she gave us Mometamax and that did the trick. Also we used Virbac to clean the ears. The vet should be able to get a sample and look at it to identify the culprit. Ours did.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don鈥檛 remember exactly what it was but my girl had that problem and it is difficult to get rid of. You have to be diligent with cleaning their ears and not letting water get in there at bath time.

heres what our vet gave us that worked. First we tried Otomax but the infection/fungus or whatever it was kept recurring. Then she gave us Mometamax and that did the trick. Also we used Virbac to clean the ears. The vet should be able to get a sample and look at it to identify the culprit. Ours did.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
We have Otomax just now but in all honesty it doesnt seem to be working! They spoke about sedation if it hasnt cleared just to get a proper look inside. :( I really dont want this as he is still just a pup but I want this cleared for him :( I will maybe speak to them and ask about these 2 and maybe give these a try first as sedation is the last resort!

Thank you so much! :)

Registered
We have Otomax just now but in all honesty, it doesn't seem to be working! They spoke about sedation if it hasnt cleared just to get a proper look inside. :( I really dont want this as he is still just a pup but I want this cleared for him :( I will maybe speak to them and ask about these 2 and maybe give these a try first as sedation is the last resort!

Thank you so much! :)
yea, Otomax didn't work for us either but the Mometamax worked. This one treats a broader spectrum of ear infections. Our vet said she had good results with it. Made me wonder why she didn't just give us that in the first place.

The Virbac is an ear cleaner that helps keep the ears dry, which is really important to keep this fungal infection under control. Sorry, your pup is getting this at such a young age. I have seen Rottweilers have to have the insides of their ears surgically removed, leaving them deaf because of recurring infection. Keep up with that whether there is an infection in the ears or not.

The key is to put those medicated drops in 2 x daily (or whatever the vet told you) and do not miss a day and do it until that bottle is empty. Even if he feels better, and the ears are no longer producing that brown muck, keep up with the routine. I had to muzzle my girl to clean her ears and put the drops in because she got so tired of me doing this to her every single day and started to put up a fight over it.

I also saw some type of earplugs to keep water out being used in a video on a Rottweiler while they were bathing him or letting him swim. You might look into that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts