Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Completely raw, or raw and kibble? Guys on here recommend Acana and Orijen kibble for its high quality ingredients and high real meat content. Im in uk so use another brand. My dog mostly is on raw and my other dogs in the past were also. If you want any advice on that, feel free to give me a shout

·
Registered
612 Posts
We feed our boys Acana (none are Rotties, but I've fed GSDs Acana too with good results). We live in an apartment so don't have freezer space to feed raw. I have fed raw in the past, the trick is of course getting nutrients and ratios right. It was awhile ago, so I am sure there is more up to date information available now...someone else here may be able to give more information... @Sophi I think raw feeds.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Id like to know what kibble is highly recommended for my rottie. I mix it with cooked food but im trying to transfer over to raw now.
It's all relative to what you want to pay, the health of your dog, and age, etc. to decide what is the "best" kibble. Like asking what is the best car?? Depends on what you want to spend, and what you need it for??
I agree with the others Orijen and Acana are top kibbles that are meat based. Are you planning on feeding prepared raw, or do it yourself raw. If you are doing your own raw meals you really have to read up on things and educate yourself on what a balanced raw diet looks like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have any of you guys feeding Orijen or Acana have had issues with soft to runny stool with your rottie? I went from Royal Canin Puppy to Orijen Regional red and his stool has consistently been soft to runny. I've even tried to put Bernie's Perfect Poop to help and it doesn't. I think I'm looking to switch to Acana. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I have fed both foods. I found that Orijen is very 'high octane' for this breed. Though I raised my last Rottweiler puppy on Large Breed Puppy Orijen. She did well on it, even as she matured to about a year of age. At that time I noticed her gaining weight easily and started her on Acana . She stayed on Acana for 10 more years and really did well on it. I switched the proteins and variety every second bag. She did well even switching cold turkey.

How much of the Orijen are you feeding? How old is your dog? I would try feeding just a little bit less and see what happens. Try feeding 1/4-1/2 cup less per meal. Once their major growth is done and they slow down...they really don't need much food to stay in shape. My female that weighed around 82-88 lbs for most of her life...just ate 2 cups per day of Acana. My male that weighed about 110-115 lbs ate only about 2 1/2 cups in total. Rottweilers really are 'easy keepers' and need very little high quality food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I have fed both foods. I found that Orijen is very 'high octane' for this breed. Though I raised my last Rottweiler puppy on Large Breed Puppy Orijen. She did well on it, even as she matured to about a year of age. At that time I noticed her gaining weight easily and started her on Acana . She stayed on Acana for 10 more years and really did well on it. I switched the proteins and variety every second bag. She did well even switching cold turkey.

How much of the Orijen are you feeding? How old is your dog? I would try feeding just a little bit less and see what happens. Try feeding 1/4-1/2 cup less per meal. Once their major growth is done and they slow down...they really don't need much food to stay in shape. My female that weighed around 82-88 lbs for most of her life...just ate 2 cups per day of Acana. My male that weighed about 110-115 lbs ate only about 2 1/2 cups in total. Rottweilers really are 'easy keepers' and need very little high quality food.
My pup is coming up on 2 years old. He'll be 2 in October and currently weighs about 115 lbs. He is pretty active throughout the day so I just followed the feeding instructions on the bag. I've been giving him roughly 5 cups per day. 2.5 cups in the morning and 2.5 at night. I think the issue might be over feeding from what you've said.

2.5 cups total for a dog that weighs over 100 lbs seems so little in my mind but it probably is plenty of food. Other than this soft/runny stool issue he is completely normal.

I appreciate the input.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Cut back on the food. Try feeding 3 cups total. 1 1/2 each meal. He's done with all of his major growth and really does not need all the high calorie dense food. Rottweilers are very much like Labs...easy keepers. They pretty much have to look at food to gain weight. If you find he is losing weight...then add a bit more food. He's always going to be hungry...you can never fill them up. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cut back on the food. Try feeding 3 cups total. 1 1/2 each meal. He's done with all of his major growth and really does not need all the high calorie dense food. Rottweilers are very much like Labs...easy keepers. They pretty much have to look at food to gain weight. If you find he is losing weight...then add a bit more food. He's always going to be hungry...you can never fill them up. :)
I definitely will try this. Hoping it works. My backyard turf is destroyed from the soft stool 🤦‍♂️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts