Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Avatars are limited in size due to space constraints and forum formatting. For the same reason we'd like to see that images posted be correctly sized as well. We've been tolerant with some that have posted large pictures, but they should be resized.

Curious, avatars are normally used to personify the forum member in a light of their choosing, what in your avatar is not being adequately displayed at 64x64? I'm member of other boards that allow for larger avatars, but IMHO, they look gaudy and mess up the format of the forum..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nutz4Rotz said:
Avatars are limited in size due to space constraints and
forum formatting. For the same reason we'd like to see that images posted be
correctly sized as well. We've been tolerant with some that have posted large
pictures, but they should be resized.
<br style="">
<br style="">

You can have 100x100 avatars well under 5kb and most people link their images from other servers. </span>As for formatting </span>there is enough room to the right of the
avatar to fit another 64x64 picture.
</span>Going below the avatar it will add little to small posts but if you have
a large post it isnÂ’t going to change anything.
</span>IMO that “star rating” should go away if you are worried about
formatting. </span>IsnÂ’t it just a rating based
off of how many post you have which is listed right below it? </span>That rating doesn’t mean a person is a “star”
just that they have a lot of posts.

I donÂ’t know if you are talking about me posting large
pictures. </span>I post 1024x768 pictures. </span>Which lets you see what is going on. </span>Like fur on a rottweiler instead of black
stuff in the shape of a dog. The images arenÂ’t hosted on this site so the space
constraints and bandwidth isnÂ’t dependent on this server. </span>As formatting that is really an issue of the
member’s machine. </span>If you have a 14”
monitor and run 800x600 resolution just about anything is going to mess up your
formatting. </span>I can view threads with my
“large” image and not have a left to right scroll bar. </span>Of course I have 1440x900 screen on my
laptop. </span>Most forums donÂ’t have Site
Navigation on the sides of the forum because it sucks up the area for
threads. </span>IMO 1280x1024 should be the
standard screen for 2006. </span>Also for the
most part this site resizes my images and allows a click for the real
image. </span>

Nutz4Rotz said:
Curious, avatars are normally used to personify the forum member in a light of
their choosing, what in your avatar is not being adequately displayed at 64x64?
I'm member of other boards that allow for larger avatars, but IMHO, they look
gaudy and mess up the format of the forum..

ThatÂ’s my point.
</span>64x64 </span>doesnÂ’t give any detail
unless you get a very small area of the dog.
</span>You canÂ’t personalize with an image that small.

Look at some of the avatars on the site, you can't tell what is a picture of.

<a href="http://boostedmopar.com/temp/64_small.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank">

</a>

64x61

<a href="http://boostedmopar.com/temp/100_small.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank">

</a>

100x95

125x118 </span>2kb

I've seen one for that had 200x200 avatars. That gaudy!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for the technology update. The avatars are likely to stay the way they are, and you must resize the pictures accordingly.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think 64x64 is good enough for an avatar image, I don't see a need for anything larger. You can post larger images of your dogs in the picture forum.

I personally don't like avatars at all, but I know most do which is why I brought them back. The avatar is just meant to personalize yourself a bit, it isn't meant to be a major focus. The content of posts should be more important than what's on the side of the posts, or in signatures.

As for the forum layout, while larger resolutions are ideal... please keep in mind that not everyone is as tech savvy or can afford newer monitors. Most are using higher resolutions, but there are still people who are at 800x600. Regardless, I think the current layout of posts is nice. Larger avatars would just look messy in my opinion, even in higher resolutions.

The ratings on this forumaren't determined by post count... butI really don't see what that has to do with this anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really comes down to opinion. Pretty much every forum I am on has 100x100 avatars. There are a very few sites (Nazi sites) that don't let you have avatars at all or make you "donate" to get them.

I dropped my screen down to 800x600 boy is everything big! I also have a left to right scroll bar to read this thread since it won't format down far enough. It didn't change the amount of empty space next to the avatar tho. The "Joined:" keeps it spaced out.

I think the site looks good and has a nice layout but I also have a high resolution so the navbar doesn't effect my format. It looks like SOOP Portal made the software for 1024x768 or higher formatting

It is just funny that the most popular part of the site is the picture forum and the avatars are so small. Just my opinion I am thankful you allow avatars unlike rottweiler.net

On another note how are the rating determined? How did I get two dots?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
"On another note how are the rating determined? How did I get two dots?"

You were given two dots when you were put into the "member" group as all new members are. Ratings are determined by the owner based on your time, posts and content quality as well as if you support the site.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It was determined early on that ratings based on post count are pointless. Just because someone posts a lot does not mean their posts are of quality. Here's how we do it here:

Member:everyone is placed in this group after their first post

Supporter: those who have donated to the forum

Star Member: given as a special thanks to those who have gone out of their way tohelp other members, and who have contributed a great deal of time and educational information to our community

1 - 8 of 8 Posts