Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Whole Dog Journal is a mailed publication - FANTASTIC resource for all things dog - and NO advertising!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Sylvia, I made this into a sticky............great info! Thanks GF..........:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, can I please have some advice.

We got our puppy at 7 weeks and she was so shy and at first her play bites were gentle but still I tried this "ouch and ignore" method to try enforcing good habits.

As she is getting older (4.5months) her play biting is becoming more serious. She is not a silly dog and can be very responsive to us when asked to do things and is very patient when need be. She is not out of control in any other area. It's just when she gets excited she chooses to ignore the word no when biting.

My partner is much bigger and stronger then me and she doesn't bite him as much so I know she can control herself but she is totally disregarding me at times. Her bites are starting to hurt and just today I tried to tell her not to bite my arm so she went for my throat :eek:

It is not malicious! But it hurts still. Does anyone have advice?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Anna,
I just replied to Koinu17 in this thread:
http://www.rottweilersonline.com/forum/training-behavior/16850-aggressive-behavior.html#post132314
I think it may be relevant to you, it is something most of us experience with adolescent rotts, now is the time to fix it though. Good luck. :)

"At 5mths he is testing you, i know just how difficult it is not to get angry when at that age they are close to 20kgs and have a mouth full of carpet knives.

Be firm, be kind, dont get frustrated, claim his space, always move forward be authoritative and dont use any excitement, the less words you use the better, tone is more important than the words themselves but "no", "hey!" or "ack" are what i use.
Keep a tuggy toy nearby when he is particularly excited and use it to control him, teach him to give you the toy back on command or to lie down, sit or whatever other tricks he knows before you let him play with it again.
This serves to keep him used to following your instructions, distracts him from engaging roughly directly with you and means he has to come to you to get attention but you control what attention he gets and for how long.

It took me a while to get this, my GF was in tears several times with our Pup jumping and mouthing. Once i got into a habit of keeping calm, being firm and using something to redirect that turned the exercise into a type of training we saw progressively better results every month thereafter.

Think of how a mother dog disciplines her pups, there is never aggression, anger, malice, frustration. It is just a sharp correction, firm as there is no negotiation, and then is is over in a half a second. It doesnt need to be physical just firm and fair."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Affiliate13 thanks!!
Anna, we have the same problem! Penny, our 4 1/2 month old rottweiler is at her worst when she gets the zoomies. Mostly around 7 am and 7 pm. I'm up at 4:30 and when we get back from our morning walk she wants to play really rough, bites my pants legs and our other dog's neck and cheeks. She has a very specific play growl when she is in this mode. A few times I have resorted to using "pet corrector " an arisol spray that makes a loud hissing sound. It startles her and makes her stop. I don't spray her but behind my back. When she stops I move her to her crate and she is usually out in a few minutes.
I try to predict these episodes and put her in her crate if even for just a half hour. I've only had to use the spray about 5 times over the last month.
I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts