Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of my first rottweiler and i have bought books talk to vets and no one can help me. My rotty has this serious problem with biting intentionally and he is only 4 months i cant get him to stop

could someone please help me

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Our rottweiler pup is about 5 months and has had a biting problem since just about day one. I've read a lot of things and talked to many people and the most common piece of information is that "puppies do that". But, for what it's worth, I've gathered the following. Please don't take this as 100% true because I've read a lot of things on various web sites, and talked to somepeopleand I am unsure of how accurate they may be:

The puppy's mother and fellow pups will generally teach bite inhibition up to 12 weeks.Fellow pupsmay yelp or strike back, while the motherwill often grab the puppy in it's jaws and hold it down until it cries. In other words if you get the puppy prior to 12 weeks it may not have received a full dose of bite inhibition training from it's family.

There are a couplechoices for how to discipline a pup yourself to teach bite inhibition. A dog trainer from PetSmart recommended grabbing the pup's top jaw, and pressing its upper jaw skin into it's own teeth until it cries. Another method is to hold down and subdue the pup until it cries. With each, you repeat the "No bite" command. I think both of these are not really recommended by too many people and are rumored to give the dog a bad disposition later in life.

Amore humanemethod is "distraction". Keep lots of chew toys within reach when around the puppy. When it goes to bite you, say "No bite" and then grab a toy and getit tochew that instead of you.

A lot of times distraction and/or "No bite" will work to get it to release but it will come right back and bite again. These are the perfect situations to use "Bitter Apple" or one of the other sprays that keep dogs from chewing on things they aren't supposed to. Once it releases, spray onto your skin and it will come back and get a mouth full of yuk.

We are being as consistent as possible in enforcing the "No bite" rule but she is very persistent. We're hoping that she will just grow out of it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also a new owner of a 15 week old puppy. He is constantly biting. He also jumps onto your leg as you walk & wraps his legs around yours & bites your knees& calves. I've tried the "no" command but that hasn't worked yet. I've only had him since Saturday, & I'm already exhausted from chasing him around the house with his chew toys. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks Mommy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bite 'em back!?

Did read this somewhere. Probably wives tale.

As far as not listening to the "no" command, persistence and patience is the key. That's the long and short of it. Also make sure you are spending ALL available time you can with your dog. Proper socialization is a key ingredient with this breed.

I am fortunate in that I also have a three year old dobie (female) who has taken to teaching some doggie manners to Arwen (my rottie). Arwen also has her to emulate as far as learning to go outside, etc. Believe it or not, Sadie has also helped begin teching Arwen how to sit and Arwen is only 8 weeks old.

Consider time outs. If you have a crate, use it. When your dog displays inappropriate behavior, tell them no and place them in the crate for a few minutes (do this despite any objections from the dog).

Just a few ideas.

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
my pup is almost 6 monthswhen he was about 14 weeks he had a biting problem i just grab his upper lips and pressed them against his baby teeth so he could feel them just like kevin wrote it probly isnt the most popular method but i only had to do it once or twice and he knows better to bite anybody. ill probly have to hear about how wrong that is from everybody but it worked for me and he dosent bite anymore

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kevin said:
There are a couplechoices for how to discipline a pup yourself to teach bite inhibition. A dog trainer from PetSmart recommended grabbing the pup's top jaw, and pressing its upper jaw skin into it's own teeth until it cries. Another method is to hold down and subdue the pup until it cries. With each, you repeat the "No bite" command. I think both of these are not really recommended by too many people and are rumored to give the dog a bad disposition later in life.

In my opinion that trainer from PetsMart is an idiot and should not be teaching people how to train their dogs. Some PetsMart trainers are very good, but the majority of them should not be considered a trainer.

Fact of the matter is, puppies bite. They "explore" with their mouths. And yes, usually mom and siblings do teach bite inhibition but if a pup is taken away from it's litter too early it will not learn this. 6 weeks is too young, some even consider 8 weeks too young, to be taken from the litter. I know of a few Rottweiler breeders who will not let their pups leave mom until they are a minimum of 10 weeks old.

Consistancy is the key. Everytime your pup bites you must correct them. By either telling them "NO", "NO BITE", or whatever words you want to use,in a very low stern voice and immediately give them something that they can chew on and praising them when they do. Or when they bite, you once again correct them with a stern "NO" and turn your back and walk away. Do not look at them, talk to them, etc. Completely ignore the pup for a few minutes. Go back and initiate play again and ifthe pupstarts the biting thing again, do the same. Puppies are not dumb, they will soon start to figure out that biting=mad mom/dad and no more playtime. Usually they won't just grow out of it, they need to be taught that it is unacceptible behavior.

Training is also important. Espescially with Rotties. We have had Brodie for 2 years (he will be 3 in Nov.)and he has been in training classes the entire time.

Young puppies will benefit from Puppy Kindergarten classes. Most PuppyK classes start as young as 12 weeks of age (or as soon as a pup has all of it shots) and they are great for socializing pups with both people and other dogs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dallas would only nip and bit at my youngest son, I would get in her face a scream "NO BITE" at her as i pinned her to the floor with one hand. I had to do it a coulpe of times but it has seamed to work. I have read where if your rottie think you are displeased with them they tend to liston better.I have never hit her, But i do have to get my ugly voice out and get onto her from time to time.

Good Luck, Shell & Dallas

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes,puppys do bite.Mine is five weeks old and bites me all the time.I let him because of his age .Soon he will be corrected with the stern NO BITE.I will be going from pack member to pack leader in his eyes.I have started to take food away.He loves his chicken and does not want anyone else to have it.After three tries he now lets me touch him and his food with out tring to kill me.Start young taking stuff away.In my last litter I got a puppy back at age two(owners lost their home and could not keep her)Dora Mae was her name.Sweetest dog,but you could not take anything away from her or be anywhere near her when she had a bone.I had to put her down just before her third birthday because of this.Train your dog as if you were not going to keep them forever.What you think is cute and can handle might not be.It could mean life or death to your dog if something ever happened to you.

Donna

·
Registered
68 Posts
when she bites you tell her no and give her a toy instead trade off. she probably needs something to chew on because of being a puppy she goes through teething.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this may sound funny but my dog USE TO BITE my hands all the time i put pepper on my finger tip 2or 3 times he wont bite me anymore

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah i heard that works i never tried it but my friend told me thats how she taught her dog not to bite her

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I guess I'm from the old school.I puppy puts it teeth on me and he goes down for the count.

They learn early at my house who is in charge,and it's not them.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah that's the way I've done it also gotta let them know who's in charge from the get go otherwise you will have major who's in charge issues later on down the line. set them straight as soon as possible and then all should be right in your world.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My youngest rottie shultz was allways trying to bite my had or chew onit.I would grasp his lower jaw with my thumb on the inside of his mouth between jaw and toung pressing down ward saying no bite holding for a few seconds then letting go. Then I would tell him bad shultz and make him go lay down. He would act like a little kid and pout his lower lip would start quivering. You could tell the punishment was killing him because all he wanted to do was hang out with mom and dad. I dont know if what i did was right or not but it worked for me shultz no longer has the urge to put my hand in his mouth .I did when he was a puppie befor the age of one . Tom

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My kitty and the puppies thought that their name was no bite at first
I've never had a problem with biting after the age of 3 months, not me anyway the funiture on the other hand sometimes hastaken a beating...... my poor coffee table .....LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
When puppies are with their litter and litter mom, they learn bite inhibition when their littermates yelp when bitten too hard.Yelp when she nips at you and put her away for a few moments and ignore her.Give her a time out so she can absorb what has just happened.Then...give her the opportunity to redeem herself by asking todo sthing that will gain praise and reward. Try to be consistent and remember to praise/reward within 3 seconds of the good behavior.I know that it's hard,but it worked for me. Show you animal that you are the pack leader,not by hard correction,but by exhibiting behavior that is typical of the leader of the pack.For example:teach down and ask for longer and longer down,eat first,while ignoring her...and then she eats don't allow rushing out the door first;indicate when play time is over and repossess "your"toys.Ask her to sit when it's time to eat,etc. I don't think it's a good idea to start grabbing at the dog's mouth-I did that and the results were disatrous...I had to do damage control for a long time. Also,soft toys emulate the feel of skin...try not to use. Keep a collar on your dog and when she misbehaves grab the back of the collar for control with your left hand while your right hand presses down on her muzzle;lean down and issue a low growl in her ear;then put her away for a time out. Let me know any of this works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I AM ALSO A NEW MOM AND MY PUP LIKES TO BITE, I ALWAYS TELL HIM NO BITE AND GIVE HIM HIS CHEWING TOY BUT HE KEEPS ON AND HIS TEETH ARE SHARP! EVERYTHING TIME MY HUSBAND AND I ARE WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE HE BITES OUR FEET AND TOES. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS! BUT HE IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY AND WE LOVE HIM BUT WE NEED HELP!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi Nadlora, My kitty she is 4 yrs old anddoes the same thing , it's when she wants to play or wants a snack. It can be funny seeing me draging a 107lb Rott around the house
( I wear slippers tg ) She has done it since she was a pup , what I have found is that she wants attention ! To make her stop I make her sit ! Then distract her with a toy.None of my other Rotts do this just her ! but again she is bossie ! or trys to be with me , but I'm the boss and she test me eveyday ! so good luck with your puppy you got to love them !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my first rottie, a male who is 6 months old and he still "Play Bites" all the time....and jumps on people when they come in. I have him in obedience class but I can not break these habits. My husband said I spoil him and should swat his butt with a rolled up newspaper. I do not want to do that. I am at a loss as to how to stop him. I just worry that he will knock our 6 year old grandson down one day when he jumps on him. The dog is already approximately 80 pounds. Any suggestions? Should I swat his butt?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Do not swat him.That is ice age and does not work.You have to act and react that is how dogs learn.

For the jumping place a blanket some where and start teaching him where his bed is.Place him on it say bed(have him down) make him stay there until you tell him to leave(short intrevills )until he knows what you are talking about.When people come over tell him bed and have him stay there until every one is setteled.This will be start to the not jumping.

For the biting since you can not at this age man handle them into submission.Make a noise(not no)sound like a little old german lady ach! and mean it the noise it self should get him to stop to see what you are doing,give him a chew to emidiatly after he stops and say good boy.Do not play any games that would riel him up to bite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.