Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old male rottie. He loves to go on walks and doesnt mind the leash how ever sometimes he will begin to chew and grab onto his leash like he is walking me. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm sure Donna or someone will come on with better advice for you, but my girl does that a little bit, and I'll tell you what I did. She would usually grab it and try to shake and tug it like it was a game, and sometimes trot ahead with it in her mouth, pulling me. At first I tried the usual, telling her no and trying to take it away, but that made it more fun for her, and she got MORE excited. So I started standing perfectly still when she would grab it, and ignoring her completely. She hates to be ignored, and it made her game absolutely no fun, so finally she'd get bored and drop it and try to get my attention. It didn't always work right away, because as soon as I moved she'd grab it again. But normally she'd try once or twice and then give up! Hope that helps, or someone with a better idea comes on soon!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
He wants to play ...when he starts to bite the leash stop walking and make him sit , then start out again and if he does it again do the same thing , till he gets the message that it's not a game . Don't walk far with him at first and if he doesn't stop biting the leash take him back inside he'll get that if he doesn't listen (no walk !) Then wait about a half hour if you can and try it again . It's all about being consistent and patience ....he'll get it !

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
jcavin , are they siblings ? having 2 the same age is a tough thing . I have 2 siblings and one that is 6 but I have owned Rotties for a long time . They need individual training apart , time apart . Do you crate ? Are these your first Rotties ? We are all here to help .... Donna (rutylr )here has 8 and trains and shows she knows alot !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I got them from 2 different breeders. I had another rottie but she past away unfortunately. She was the best dog and is why I would never own any other breed. I do train them separately and they are crate trained which is so great. There are just some things that I did not run into with my first one that I need advice on, and too I just want to learn asmuch as possible about them :) I love these guys and I want them taken care of the best that I can.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
You came to the right site then ! We don't bite here ! All my Rotties have been different . I wouldn't own another breed either !There are alot of post here with great info !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im having trouble getting my 10 week old in a leah. He doesnt want to get in it at all. He sits and pulls back everytime. I need help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My boy is stillbiting the leash. I will take them and he will do just fine after walking at the park for about 10 minutes he will get really rambunctious all of a sudden grabbing and pulling the leash I will stop walking him until he drops it then try again he soon will grab it again so I will take him home and this is on going he doesnt seem to care that we stop walking or he has to go home because he will do it the next time we go out too. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
go to the pet store and get some bitter apple and put it on the leash where he is bitting.tabasco sause works too.

Donna

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all...

we had the same problem with gunner he would pull on the leash and think it was a game but one of the best thing we did was buy bitter yuck. You can buy it at any pet store and put on the leash so when he went to grab it he found out it didn't taste that good. It's all natural so it doesn't harm him. Trust me i got it on my hand and then some how got a taste of it... but i was still fine

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine 6mo male likes to bite his too. When he does I stop walking tell him to leave it and when he drops it I tell him good boy and walk again. Works pretty well, he is doing it less and less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts