Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell me if anyone has any exp with this food. i feed canidae all stage now but on of my pits is thin. So i was thinkin of adding this aas a suplement to add some weight on her its 438 cal per cup. Mix both foods for awhile. Please let me know if anyone uses this food and maybe give some pros and cons.

2. What is the percentsge of crude protein a rottie should be using at 17 weeks. Can someone give me a min and max. Ive heard not the right amount could stunt growth or maybe cause joint problems. So what is correct amount to let him grow normal speed without joint problems. Like i said give me s max% and a min% where anywhere inbetween
would be fine. I allways thought the higher protein the better cause thats what they would get in the wild. And does to high of protein really make them grow to fast and to big.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Every rottie is different in what it needs. I've a 5 or 6yo female that needs more carbs then all my other rotties to keep weight on her.

Ross

·
Registered
346 Posts
I hvae a 5.5 Yo Female that eats a lot 6 Cups a day, My year old male eats 4 Cups, if I were to feed him 6 Cups he would be huge and not in a good way, IF I feed her 4 Cups she looks like fur covered bones. You will need to try diffrent amounts for a few weeks to see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ronan 1-21-12.jpg

thnks for replies any ideaa on how thw protein affects growth and joints my second patt of post.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
View attachment 2359

thnks for replies any ideaa on how thw protein affects growth and joints my second patt of post.

I am not an expert but I am a believer that less is more. I had a rottie years ago that got Pano. My puppy is on Healthwise puppy kibble but she gets California Natural dry for lunch. My last rottie did well on California Natural and never was lame and is almost 25 inches at her withers. She is almost 2 now. We will convert the pup over to CN in a month or two. She is 12 weeks old now. This has worked for me so this is my experience only. Good luck with your new puppy.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My 70 pound, 5 year old spayed female eats 2 1/2 to 3 cups of kibble per a day. My 65 pound, 6 year old spayed female eats 2 to 2 1/2 cups of kibble per day.

Every dog is different. I think joint formula foods and 'puppy' foods are a bad idea - especially for large breed dogs. Neelah ate all life stages food from the day we got her at five months old. Her hips are OFA excellent, elbows OFA normal - and I never ever restricted her from jumping or running on any surface...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tell me if anyone has any exp with this food. i feed canidae all stage now but on of my pits is thin. So i was thinkin of adding this aas a suplement to add some weight on her its 438 cal per cup. Mix both foods for awhile. Please let me know if anyone uses this food and maybe give some pros and cons.

2. What is the percentsge of crude protein a rottie should be using at 17 weeks. Can someone give me a min and max. Ive heard not the right amount could stunt growth or maybe cause joint problems. So what is correct amount to let him grow normal speed without joint problems. Like i said give me s max% and a min% where anywhere inbetween
would be fine. I allways thought the higher protein the better cause thats what they would get in the wild. And does to high of protein really make them grow to fast and to big.
a great site to look at nearly any brand of dog food and get ingrediants and reviews is dogfoodanalysis.com

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's not so much protein levels, though I wouldn't go under 24%--as it is the calcium/phosphorous levels which you want to keep at a 1:1 ration. Nothing will screw up a dog's joints more than too much calcium and the ratios being off. Grow your pup slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Some pups can handle the higher protein levels and some can't, this is gonna be trial and error on your part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was feeding totw tries all flavors three dogs two pits ans my new rottiie pup it seem to make them poop up to five times a day and had to feed my 8 month old pit at least 7 cups a day or she was loosing wwight my twovyear old was fine at 3 cups a day my rottie was at 8 cups a days he is 18 weeks and all they did was crap it out so i dont know if was doing them any good though it seem like from the ingriedients was a really great food so im srumpes on taste of the wild. I have changed to canidae only been on it for about a week now and starting off following bag directions for amounts. I will see how this goes and was wanting to add some black gold to the canidae just to keep it fresh flavors not much just to keep them interested. Any sugggestions on how much to feed any one with canidae exp?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was feeding 4 Cup's each when feeding Canidae. cups seems like a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts