Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The darker the better.It's just part of the standard no real reason that serves any purpose.They look nicer with dark mouths,If you have ever seen a Rottweiler with a pink mouth.It's not pretty.

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is just part of being a Rottweiler.When the breed was gettng started they picked out things they liked and didn't liked.That is what they bred for and that is what has made our breed.If they did not have standards(and people accutaly breeding to them)who knows what the Rottweiler as a whole would look like now.

I do think that once people start breeding just on looks we loose that working dog and that is what they were bred for.If you look at the working German Rottweilers and the American show dogs ,there is a big difference.Besides the tail!Most dogs in the american could not herd sheep for any length of time without falling apart.It happens to every breed,There is the true working dog and then there is the pretty dog.The Irish Setter is the best example.They bred the brain right out of the dog (dumb as a box of rocks) breeders are starting to breed to hunting Irish setters to get the brains and looks all in on package.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Somebody tried to tell me that dogs that don't have a dark mouth could be temperamentally unsound. Apollo's mouth was dark when I first got him,but it seems to meto be getting darker. Am I imagining things ??</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Dogs colors do darken as they grow.If the markings are dark as a puppy they will get darker.Eyes are another thing.If they are light they will lighten.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Thanks for easing my mind. I thought I was losing it!
I check Apollos gums and teeth everyday and I thought it looked like his mouth was getting darker. I couldn't decide if I was imagining it or not. My sanity has been restored! (Don't ask my hubby about that one! hehe!)</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Looking at your babie every day will drive you nuts.You think you see stuff wrong and it's not really there.Thats why I'm glad Elwood left for the summer.That way I'm not looking at him every day.

Donna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.