Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old rottweiler and I want to give him some mass, not for fighting or anything that involves violence, Im not Michael Vick, but just for appearance, what kind of food would I feed him?

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Rottweilers mature very slowly and usually only finish growing, and adding muscle mass to about age 3. Please don't be in a hurry to have your pup gain weight or get muscles. Most Rottweilers will gain fat not muscle unless it's done very slowly and with a good exercise regime. The food you feed should be a meat based food. Either feed a well balanced raw diet, or a kibble that is meat based like Orijen, Acana, Wellness, Fromm, etc. The first 1-3 ingredients on the bag should be some type of meat or fish. How much exercise does your pup get now? and what kind? I would wait till he is at least 18 months of age to neuter him, and also at least that age to do any repetitive activity such as jogging or running beside a bike, etc. Their growth plates are still growing till about 18 months and you don't want any damage to be done to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With it being winter the only exercise he gets now is playing with my pit bull, when it warms up i will start taking him for walks. I was told to neuter him at 1 yr. I feed him kibbels and bits now

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
What gender is your pit bull?? Rottweilers can become same sex aggressive as they sexually mature. If your Pit is a male, I would be very careful with allowing them to play roughly. If you see things are getting serious...end the playing. If she is a female...they usually do OK with opposite sexes.

Kibbles'N' Bits is a terrible food. 😕 It's mostly corn, soy, and by-products. There are no decent ingredients in this food...and you must have to feed way more of this kibble then a better quality food...and have way more poop to clean up. Do you have a Costco that you can shop at?? Their Kirkland Chicken & Rice is a good buy and half decent food...especially if you add the occasional goodie such as yogurt, an egg, or canned sardines or lean meat leftovers. You are going to have to improve his diet if you want him to develop muscles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have a almost 11 mth old male Rottweiler, we are in Australia, so the foods we get will probably be different to yours. My vet put me onto Purina Supercoat puppy large breed fry food, and he also has fresh meat from VIP pet’s range Beef, Kangaroo, and Lamb, with added thiamine, calcium, protein and other vitamins and minerals, same brand raw Chicken and Salmon, and raw Chicken and Kangaroo, on the odd occasion I add in vip can food because he is a fussy bum and gets sick of things if I don’t mix it up a bit, I don’t spoil him, I swear 😉🤣, he also gets lamb shanks and other bones, and the occasional chicken necks and hearts as again he is fussy with chicken lol. He also has treats for training.
What I want to know is, A; is this a good diet? And B; why sometimes his farts could kill an army 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮, I’ve tried changing out the different brands of all of his food, and it doesn’t make a difference. I need help we are travelling in a caravan and at night he is gassing me out 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤯🫠

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
He really should not be having any gas. I would try to pick one protein for now and stick with it. If he does not like chicken then try beef or fish. Mine only get gas when they eat a pizza crust as a treat. I would try to stick to a simpler diet (he does not need such a variety) and maybe add a spoonful of plain yogurt to a meal once a day or give him a probiotic. If he is having gas...it means things are not digesting well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you ☺, I tried just giving him the one meat and his biscuits, but he stops eating it after about 6 weeks. I also gave him the yogurt and he didn’t like that either, he is a bit spoilt, and I know that’s my fault, I will try and get him to stick to the one type of meat that I get and add the probiotic to it and see how he goes.
It was so bad one night he jumped up and run away from his own fart, then came back and checked the bed, I swear he was looking to see if he had followed through 🤣🤣, and when I have my 5mth old grandson stay overnight in the van, he has dry reached in his sleep from the smell, that’s what made me start looking for solutions and found this forum group 🥰

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
He really should not be having any gas. I would try to pick one protein for now and stick with it. If he does not like chicken then try beef or fish. Mine only get gas when they eat a pizza crust as a treat. I would try to stick to a simpler diet (he does not need such a variety) and maybe add a spoonful of plain yogurt to a meal once a day or give him a probiotic. If he is having gas...it means things are not digesting well.
Hank is seriously in problems. He flatulates on command. Doesn't matter what we feed him. He stinks. We have commiserated with other Rottie owners about the farts. Seems like they are not just powerful physically but also with their gifts from their back end.

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
I honestly don't think they are more gassy as a breed in whole. I think when they have gas....it is loud and it stinks!! I remember my Jemma came home from her spay and that evening...had the worse gas I had ever smelled. My eyes were watering and I swear the paint could have peeled off the walls!!!:LOL: It must have been a combination of the anesthetic and medications she was given?? Nasty!!!

I do think that if you keep them on a steady good diet (without too many things thrown in) and also watch the treats, and dog chews, bones , etc....you can keep them relatively gas free. Also don't let them eat deer, bunny, goose, horse, etc. poop....also makes smelly gas!:oops:o_O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts