Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry that you and your girl have to go through this. First I would notify your breeder, often bad knees are genetic. The breeder should look at their breeding program and make some changes.

My girl at 18 months of age tore her CCL...and we had the TTA surgery done. Her knee joint tore because our rescue male that weighed 40 lbs more...t-boned her while running at full speed. She got through the surgery fine and that was in the middle of a winter from hell. Tons of snow and ice...and I worried every time I had to take her out on a leash...that something was going to rupture. Her other knee was fine till she died at 11...and the repaired knee never gave her any problems. The hard part is keeping them quiet for 6 weeks, after the surgery....and a young dog even harder.

Don't worry about the rehab. You can do that at home on your own. We live out in the country, and there was no rehab places around. We did fine doing range of motion exercises, and start with slow 5 minute leash walks that built up to longer walks. You will need to keep her crated and confined. We used an x-pen and found that more comfortable. Put her dog bed inside of it with a water bucket hanging on the side...and even moved it to room to room to keep and eye on her when we moved into different rooms.

You never know...?? The one knee may be all that you have to do. Often because of crate rest while the operated knee is healing and there is little movement the injured knee stabilizes. The knee joint starts forming scar tissue and stabilizes the weak knee.

Please let us know how things go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts