Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was just wondering if any of you have noticed health issues shorter life spans with the ,more tall "hound mastiff less compact " types I know this type is a little away from the typical breed type but the fact is they are out there due to poor breeding etc, , I have had 4 of these types over the past 35 years 1 female / male litter mates and 2 non related .all passed with some form off cancer before the age of 7, all of the more "compact type" have lived well over ten years,, My last one was a large male at 125lbs and right at the outer limits of size conformation with good breed type He lived to the age of 11 years and 4 months and passed from a stroke ,Any info on this "trend" would be appreciated

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
I think you nailed it. Shorter lives and health problems are due to poor breeders. It's "greeders" that breed out of standard of the breed. Breeders that don't show or put working titles on their dogs. They just breed what they have at home..and as long as it's black and tan and has a uterus and penis...they are "good to go". I had rescue Rottweilers that were long and weedy and looked houndy. I loved them....and they made great pets...but also were plagued with health problems.:(

Start with a breeder that shows their dogs in conformation in AKC or Sieger shows. This way they can have a judge confirm that their dogs meet the breed standard. Also the breeder should be putting titles on their dogs...either working or obedience titles. This way you know that their dogs are smart and have the right temperament. It also shows a breeder that is involved with the breed and working with their dogs. All dogs are smart and good tempered if they never leave their yard! The breeder should be doing all the health testing on their breeding dogs which includes hips, elbows, eyes and heart plus DNA for NLC and the tests should be available for the public to see on www.ofa.org or if they are done overseas have hip and elbow scores available.

There really is no trend. If you go to a dog show...most of the dogs will be solid looking without that weedy hound look. BYB's produce those. Give your money to an ethical breeder that is doing things right and your future dog should live a long , healthy life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep The :long and weedy type is what i was trying to describe,,, that is what mine were pet rescues that i gave a home to, it is such a shame to willfully breed an animal and get this result,,, it is a waste of a life and the so called breeders time,, My opinion is if you cant produce a quality dog with this type breed dont wast your time,,, it does no one any good there are enough dogs in shelters as it is

1 - 3 of 3 Posts