Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just graduated from college and was looking to buy a Rottie as I had one growing up and now was now looking to add to my family. I was looking to buy a high quality Rottweiler puppy and was struggling to find a reputable breeder that cares about OFA certifications, socializing the puppies(and not being a puppy mill) and consistently produces high quality puppies and isn't in it for the money but for the love of the breed and animal. I was wondering if anyone in this forum had suggestions for good breeders? Or if they had any Breeders to recommend against as I was reading through the forum and saw a lot of threads about how many breeders misrepresent themselves and lie about having certain qualifications and standards. Any advice or recommendations anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! There are many good breeders.....but at this time there are a shortage of well bred puppies. Where are you located? I would look up in your area for dog shows. Either AKC shows or Sieger. Google is your friend for this. Most breeders that are showing their dogs in conformation or working shows, usually do health testing and care about the breed. Since you are young....do you have housing that can accommodate a Rottweiler?? If you are renting, it can be very difficult. Are you prepared to attend obedience classes and some sort of classes with your Rottweiler for the first couple of years?? Let us know the area you live, and how far you are willing to travel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I am located in Michigan and am willing to travel within the United States to meet my newest family member. With regards classes and training, I had a Rottweiler and two German Shepherds since they were puppies previously so I have experience with the breed and raising up a puppy. Currently, I am living in housing that allows for them and will continue to live in housing that will be able to accommodate for them going forward. I had looked up breeders on Google and sites and thought I found a few that I liked and seemed reputable, but then I looked through the forum and saw a handful of reviews and threads that made me more than second guess a couple of them and certainly rule out one. As a result, I figured it might be better to see if anyone had recommendations or advice on the matter as I was finding many websites and people that lied about having certifications, certain housing conditions, and overall practices.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to some shows. See what you like and talk to the handler, or the owner. I know that my Jemma's breeder bred a litter with Von Herrschend Rottweilers, they are in Illinois. Von Herrschend Rottweilers
I know that litter did really well. With Covid restrictions and the border closed now...it makes things harder for breeders to travel, etc.
I'm in Canada so cannot help you. I would get in touch with Von Herrschend (they seem to be doing everything right) and ask about upcoming litters, or if they have any breeders to recommend. The dog world is small....and most good ethical breeders know each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts