Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here but have been using it as a research tool for some time now. I've been fighting myself on deciding between a rott and gsd for months but I have finally decided on a rott.

I'm in British Columbia and am looking for a dog for my small family of 4. I grew up with big dogs and would like my children to have a similar experience. We have two small children ages 3 and 1. So my first priority is to get a dog who would be suitable as a family pet before anything else. Obviously temperament and drive is going to be important.

I have been researching different breeders through forums such as this and on Google (reviews). It appears I may have to travel to Washington state as I haven't been able to find one here. Sky valley and lucky rottweilers appears to come up most frequently. And their reviews seem to be positive as well.

Does anyone recommend any breeders or have any information they would be willing to share. Any one have any dogs from the two mentioned above? I am willing to travel to Washington state as I live near the border, although I'm not sure what the process would be in order to bring a pup back across.

Also if any one has any information on Trojan rottweilers here in BC - saw they were listed woth rottclub.ca

Thank you to all in advance for taking the time to read and/or reply to this post. I can't wait to narrow down my search and complete my family. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Welcome to the forums. We have some good breeders in BC and in Alberta. There is no need to go to the states for a well bred Rottweiler from an ethical breeder. Taking a puppy over the border is not as easy as it once was, and with the US dollar much higher...you will end up paying way more.

Trojan is fine, and Zirkcreek www.zirkcreekrottweilers.com is another good choice. Those are just two at the top of my head. If you do get in touch with these two breeders you could also ask them for a referral if they are not breeding right now. In Alberta I know of Ashemburg and Akamai ...both good breeders...but do not breed often.

One thing I would caution you about....you have 2 very young children that need a lot of time and attention. Rottweilers need tons of training and attention, and puppies can be rough and tumble with little ones in the house. Not many good breeders will be too anxious to sell a puppy to you right now. BYB's often don't care. Ethical breeders want their puppies to go to homes where they will thrive and get tons of attention and training. You have your hands full right now with your toddlers.

An older dog may fit in better with your home. One that has grown up with kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you greatly for the detailed response.

I'll definitely check out the recommendation.

As for getting a puppy now, I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon. We don't have a set timeline for it, but just know it's not right now as you mentioned, we have our hands full. I'm currently just trying to see which type of dog would be best for our family and when the time is right who to put a deposit with. We were leaning on gsds before and I canvassed some suggestions for breeders on the gsd forum as well. My wife is inclined for a rott so doing that now here. It's looking a lot like we will settle on the rott so wanted good recommendations.

I do somewhat disagree with puppy vs older dog notion with young kids. I guess it depends on many factors but I grew up with puppies of big dogs and nothing compares to that experience and bond. I guess it depends on each family as each is different with their time allocation. Needless to say, having big dogs is a huge commitment and when you grow up with them, you know that firsthand.

I plan on taking the kids to some competitions/shows to get them some exposure and talk to breeders. I know they hold some here in the lower mainland posted on the gsscc website but those are primarily gsds. Are there any similar "get togethers" you are aware of for rotts? I didn't see any thing posted on the rottclub site.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Glad I could help. I live in Ontario...so not much help with shows or events. Got to www.canuckdogs.com and click on Calendar . Then Event and your province. Put in Rottweiler and you should be able to find dog shows and obedience and other activities in your area. Just play around with the site and you should get all the information you need. Also if you get in touch with any of the breeders suggested...ask them if they are going to be at any shows so you can 'meet and greet' them and their dogs. There will be All Breed shows...and not sure if there is a Rottweiler Specialty this year ? With Covid so many things were cancelled and I'm not sure where our Specialty show is this year. We used to alternate every year...once in Ontario, then the west either Alberta or BC and then the Maritimes.

Glad you plan on waiting till the kids are a bit older to add a pup. I think at least 5 and school age is about the right time. An older dog that comes from a good breeder that has been trained and lived with a family can make a good choice for the right family. Often breeders retire their females at 5 years of age....and look for the perfect home for them. Often it's better for the dog to be part of a loving family and an only dog....instead of having to live in with a bunch of other females.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Those are great suggestions. I'll try the site forsure.

And I didn't know that about the breeders retiring them at 5 and looking for homes. Something for me to think about.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts