Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our beautiful Shelley just over2 years ago. The vet did an emergency operation after an ultrasound showed a lot of stones at the entrance to her urthrea? and another 2 days later to put in a stent. Shelley was 10 years old at the time and had a heart attack during recovery. We never did get a good explanation for the stones from the vet. Has anybody had this kind of problem?

I know it is a while ago now but we still have 2 rotties and if it was down to diet etc. we would like to know.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your girl Shelley. They never do live long enough. What kind of stones did she have? There are two types of stones... Struvite stones (most common) and Calcium Oxalate. I know you mentioned calcium stones...but just wanted to make sure.

It seems there are many causes of stones forming. Genetics, diet and who knows?? I found this article interesting...even vets don't have a straight answer to prevent them. Bladder Stones in Dogs

Luckily I have owned many Rottweilers ...some well bred, and some rescues that were poorly bred...and none ever developed stones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your girl Shelley. They never do live long enough. What kind of stones did she have? There are two types of stones... Struvite stones (most common) and Calcium Oxalate. I know you mentioned calcium stones...but just wanted to make sure.

It seems there are many causes of stones forming. Genetics, diet and who knows?? I found this article interesting...even vets don't have a straight answer to prevent them. Bladder Stones in Dogs

Luckily I have owned many Rottweilers ...some well bred, and some rescues that were poorly bred...and none ever developed stones.
The vet told us they were calcium stones and that it was maybe genetics or one of many factors. At the very least it seems that there is not much I can do to prevent it. To an extent I feel a little better having read that article. My girl Laila is from a different breeder. She will be 2 next month and is wonderful but I still miss Shelley. Bradley, from the same lines as Shelly is almost 11 and is slowing down a lot but still fit and healthy. Thank you for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts