Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When you think of the Rottweiler, you probably picture a large, muscular dog with a black coat and tan markings. You might even picture him in a junk yard or behind a chain-link fence, guarding property. The Rottweiler is a gentle breed by nature, but he also has certain qualities that lend themselves to making him a good watchdog or guard dog and, as such, he may do well as an outdoor dog. Keep reading to learn more about Rottweilers as outdoor dogs.

Are Rottweilers Adapted to Outdoor Life?

The Rottweiler belongs to the Working group for the American Kennel Club (AKC) and was developed as a herding breed. As such, the Rottweiler has the potential to do well as an outdoor dog as long as the climate is appropriate and his basic needs are still met. Rottweilers have short, medium-length coats that shed moderately but are still easy to maintain. What is important for the purposes of keeping your Rottweiler outside, however, is the fact that it is a double coat. The Rottweiler has a soft, downy undercoat that varies in thickness depending on the climate in which he lives. This undercoat helps to keep him warm in the winter and it grows thinner in the summer to keep him cool. The outer coat is straight, dense, and coarse, helping to insulate your dog against heat and cold – it will also keep him dry in wet weather. As long as it doesn’t get too cold where you live, Rottweilers can be kept outside.

Tips for Keeping a Rottweiler as an Outdoor Dog

If you want to keep your Rottweiler as an outside dog, there are a few things you need to do. First and foremost, you’ll need to provide your dog with shelter. Your Rottweiler will need a sheltered place to retreat to when it gets hot and a place to keep him warm when it gets cold. This shelter should also protect him from the weather and just give him a space to call his own. Your Rottweiler will need access to unlimited fresh water and you may need to take additional steps to keep his food fresh and protected from insects and rodents.

Aside from meeting your Rottweiler’s basic needs as an outdoor dog, you also need to fulfil your role as a dog owner in training and socialization. Keeping your Rottweiler outside shouldn’t be an excuse to ignore him – this breed requires a great deal of human interaction as well as both mental and physical stimulation on a daily basis. Rottweilers also need a moderate amount of daily exercise, so he’ll still need a daily walk – any exercise he gets running around outside probably won’t be enough to work off his energy. Your dog may also require additional vaccinations to protect him against disease that can be spread by wild animals.

If you are thinking about getting a new dog and you want to keep him as an outdoor dog, there are a number of important things to consider. The climate where you live should be warm but not too hot that your Rottweiler will overheat, and he still needs protection from the elements. You’ll also need to make sure that your dog still gets plenty of exercise and human interaction.

Photo credit: EKATERINA SOLODILOVA/Shutterstock

~Petguide.com

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Rotts need to be with their people! If you keep him/her outside, reread the second from last paragraph and FOLLOW IT!
Better yet, if you want an outdoor dog, get a more independent breed.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I dislike articles like this. There are already too many people who throw their dogs in the backyard and ignore them. Dogs are companion animals and should be treated like family members because they are. Lack of socialization is neglect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our boy loves to be inside with all the family,takes up the 3 seater lounge,goes from bedroom to bedroom with the kids.
He sleeps out side of a night in a open kennel with our female German Shepherd we don't lock them away.
I think all dogs should be toilet trained and spend time with their family's / owner's.
What is the point of getting a dog if your not going to give it the attention it needs & they need to be loved too.
Our Yoda is just part of the furniture and I love when he's inside and we all play ,it's like a mad house.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Our dogs sleep with us. Rocky, Fiona and Moqui all sleep beside the bed on their own dog beds. (Tough to walk around when we have to get up to hit the bathroom in the middle of the night, but thankfully a cell phone helps light the way.) Bill the Chi sleeps under the covers.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
That's a lot o' dog Steph!
Mine sleeps in the kitchen, but always within sight of the bed through an open bedroom door.

·
Registered
651 Posts
... and here I feel guilty for not letting them sleep in the bed with us! One or two of the big ones used to until it got to be too much when we got older. Flash the small boxer did when he was alive during the winter. He would sleep completely under the covers between my husband knees (he sleeps with his feet and lower legs on big pillows and Flash slept there under the covers.) He didn't ask until we got the Chi and then he was like... "well... if the Chihuahua can sleep under the covers, I want to do it too." He was such a big baby. Really miss him. He had so much joy... but that's what I love about Rocky. Rocky has a lot of joy for life too. Fiona not so much... she gets her joy bullying the other ones and being the queen bee. (I love that too..., that's a girl Rottie trait I never get tired of.) Moqui is the adult in the family who quietly keeps an eye on everything, always positions himself between us and employees or strangers. When we got Fiona he felt it was his job to protect us from her.... same with Rocky, but not as active about it, since Fiona was much more wild than Rocky when we got her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Steph, that is so funny.
Our bedroom is too small for big dogs but I could just imagine stepping over them in the middle of the night,i would be guaranteed to trip over.lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ours have always lived indoors. Rocky was the only one who lived by the "Rottweiler Rules" and slept under the covers in our bed between us. . . well actually he took up my side of the bed leaving me a postage stamp in the corner to ball up in.:D Luckily Bella does not jump up into the bed. She does have a bed in our room where she sleeps and another in my office because like Steph we take our dog to work.

In case you've never hear of the "Rottweiler Rules" here they are: (this is from a print in my office) I think this is the appropriate place for them, since we are talking about inside or outside dog.

1. The Rottweiler is not allowed in the house.
2. Okay, the Rottweiler is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
3. The Rottweiler is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
4. The Rottweiler is only allowed on the "old" furniture.
5. Fine, the Rottweiler is allowed on all of the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with humans on the bed.
6. All right, the Rottweiler is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
7. The Rottweiler can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
8. The Rottweiler can sleep under the covers every night.
9. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the Rottweiler.
10. In all cases of dispute . . . the Rottweiler rules!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts