Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I updated the Chatter Box tonight,this should eliminate the annoying refresh. Let me know if you have any problems, and if you do also tell me which browser and version you are using.

2bad, this should also fix the problems you were having with hitting the back button twice. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I went to the thread from the right side of the page and read this new post. I read and clicked BACK to go back to home and I had to click twice. Maybe when I log out and come back it will change. I'll let you know ! I like the little beep better than the quack

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Yeah i found the OLD chat was better

cant go back and read what the ( people that can type ) wrote

oh well i just keep checking the log

that 2 post thing was nice too ......

maybe its just MY browser but i have always had to click BACK twice

and still do ...... so i just use the site HOME button once

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.... I''m looking into the chat issue with the log and also the "back twice" issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the click back twice as well. It's not that bad really, just glad to know it's not just me or my computer...LOL. I was worried my computer was messing up......again.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I still need to click back twice as well. That isn't a big deal. My biggest problem is say for instance ... when I come to the site it may say there ate 5 members here BUT if I click refresh as soon as I get here there may be only one or as many as ten members here. I can click refresh while I'm chatting and NOT see the members name I am chatting with also.

If you ever come to the site and decide to chat ... Don't start feeling bad if nobody answers. There is probably nobody here.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are three issues with the current chat box:

1) The click back twice thing is because of the chat box

2) It slows the site down a little

The above two waswhy I had that poll up a few weeks ago.

3) The ability to lurk in chat. HOWEVER, I really don't see this as a problem because it is a public chat box, and not for private conversations. You shouldn't say anything in chat that you can't say to everyone anyway. The reason people can lurk has to do with the active members list.....

2bad said:
when I come to the site it may say there ate 5 members here BUT if I click refresh as soon as I get here there may be only one or as many as ten members here. I can click refresh while I'm chatting and NOT see the members name I am chatting with also.

The members online listis based on users active over the past ten minutes. So if someone logs on and then closes their browser without "logging out" their name will still be in the members online list until it times out at the end of that ten minute period. So if you refresh and see 5 or so names vanish, it's most likely because they didn't fully logout before leaving.

Now for the LURKING part.... the members online list and the chat box work independantly of each other. So, if you are chatting and not doing anything else on the site, the forum will think you left or timed out, but you still can be using the chat box. You will drop from the members online list until you do something else on the actual site. Unfortuneately there is nothing I can do about this. The chat box is a 3rd party add on to the forum.

The only way I can solve all 3 of these issues is to usea different chat, BUT that means not having the chat on the side and instead it will be a pop up box. However one or more of the 3 may solved with the next update to the forum software, but that won't be for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts