Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just posted pics of my Rayna. She’s 7 mth now and she’s amazing. Although I’m having a cpl issues I’d like some help with if that’s ok please? One is she’s manic about food, she’s snappy to take it out of your hand and almost wants to jump up on my dad when he brings a dog biscuit each for her and my bulldog. I’ve told him to stop bringing them a biscuit now as it’s making Rayna manic diving pushing him almost jumping on him and snapping at the biscuit. She’s fed twice a day and it’s a fair amount so she’s not hungry. I’ve taught her take it nice and I won’t let go on the food unless she uses a soft mouth. But she’s still kinda snappy. The second problem is she’s chewing anything plastic or wood she can get her mouth on. She’s destroyed countless toys in the garden and house of the kids and she’s chewed the skirting boards and the arm on the garden furniture. We’ve just built and put a new fence up in the garden and I’m too worried she’ll chew it, so now she can’t go out in the garden for long before I bring her back in. I’ve bought big knotted rope toys as that’s her favourite and she plays with them/chews them a lot. But still destroying a lot of things if given 5 mins unwatched or she takes it into the crate and chews it on the sly until someone hears her crunching. I know all pups chew. I just wanted to know if there’s an age limit this should stop or something I can give her to give her a better option. I gave her a stuffed cow hoof and she worked on that for hrs. But she’s bored of it now. Any ideas greatly appreciated thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Sounds to me like she is bored and under exercised and needs training? Dogs that are being engaged and have enough brain games, and training, and aerobic exercise...usually don't get into trouble with chewing. For the snapping and getting too excited about treats. Teach her a "sit" command. "Sit" means she stays in a sit till you release her. If she is sitting she cannot be jumping. Then take a treat and put it in the palm of your hand and close your hand. She can still smell it. Open up your hand so your palm is flat....if she makes any attempt to get the treat....close the hand quick... and use a negative voice such as "ugh". Give her the command "easy". If she is not making any attempt to grab the treat....say "OK" and tell her "gentle" and let her take the treat. This must be repeated many times for her to learn. If she does not stop jumping...no treats!! Too bad!!

I would suggest you up her exercise....and supervise more when she is out and about. Put away anything that she may get into...just like child proofing your house for toddlers. How much time each day do you spend in training her?? I would also suggest getting her enrolled into an obedience class.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like she is bored and under exercised and needs training? Dogs that are being engaged and have enough brain games, and training, and aerobic exercise...usually don't get into trouble with chewing. For the snapping and getting too excited about treats. Teach her a "sit" command. "Sit" means she stays in a sit till you release her. If she is sitting she cannot be jumping. Then take a treat and put it in the palm of your hand and close your hand. She can still smell it. Open up your hand so your palm is flat....if she makes any attempt to get the treat....close the hand quick... and use a negative voice such as "ugh". Give her the command "easy". If she is not making any attempt to grab the treat....say "OK" and tell her "gentle" and let her take the treat. This must be repeated many times for her to learn. If she does not stop jumping...no treats!! Too bad!!

I would suggest you up her exercise....and supervise more when she is out and about. Put away anything that she may get into...just like child proofing your house for toddlers. How much time each day do you spend in training her?? I would also suggest getting her enrolled into an obedience class.
That’s the issue with Rayna she has very little impulse control. If I pet her alone she’s chilled, if the bulldog comes to be petted too Rayna gets pushy pushing the bulldogs head away from my hand jostling for position and that’s the same with the treats, if she’s got competition (in her eyes I always give equal) . I taught her sit stay at 10 wks and she’s great at it if the bull dog isn’t sitting waiting to. It’s the competition which ruins her. She will sit and take it nicely when I say the word ‘nice’ she takes it gently but if she tries it even lightly rough I close my fingers and she gets told off and we try again and she’s already learnt that with me and my fiancé. My dad has a weak sense to him I’m sorry but he does and she senses that and takes advantage. He’s like sit sit no no down sit off and then gives a treat 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I said you just rewarded her for doing everything you didn’t want there. Hence the reason I have stopped him bringing any treats. She’s not in any classes. But she knows a lot of commands and I’ve noticed she takes her cues from the bulldog, if I say go on out you two, she looks to see if our bully does it and she follows. Our bully as I’ve said in the past is super chill and very obedient. She hates to be in any trouble with us or Rayna for that matter. She gets pushed about often and just goes with it. I tell Rayna that’s enough when I see the bully can’t be bothered and she stops jumping on her and gets in her own bed. I will admit the training isn’t an every day thing as she’s very good with everything else. She’s just a huge foody and likes to chew everything. she’s always been a chewer since we brought her home. I had abdominal surgery 5 wks ago so I’ve not walked her as much (6/8 wks recovery time the surgeon told me) she’s more so gone the park with my fiancé for half hr play times on the field so she maybe bored. But like I said she’s always been a heavy chewer. Even if I get pigs ears they’re gone in 10 minutes and she’s then looking for more. She easily tires of the same toys to chew on. Once I’m able to walk her again I’m hoping I can tire her out before she does me, she has bags of energy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Remember training and mental stimulation can tire her out even more than exercise if you cant get her out as much. Try teaching her some new tricks maybe until you are back on your feet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember training and mental stimulation can tire her out even more than exercise if you cant get her out as much. Try teaching her some new tricks maybe until you are back on your feet?
Yeah that makes sense, doesn’t have to be strenuous does it. She’s expending some energy right now with our bulldog diving around playing together ☺

1 - 5 of 5 Posts