Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the dogs out for a quick nighttime potty in our complex last night. I took Agis and Neb down the elevators (Neb struggles with stairs; he's 13.5ish) and Toby went down the stairs with Xerxes (who does not excel at the lobby; if a beagle can be sharp, he is - he gets off the elevator spoiling for a fight with a dog that may or may not be there). Got out - where are Toby and Xerxes? Cross the median over onto the grassy area near a path behind some cars.

Then I hear Toby and a friend who has a toy poodle...'Watch out for the coyote, right in front of you!' Uhh, where? Seconds later, ~4 metres away is a coyote who looked around Agis’s height (perhaps not as muscular but Agis is 50lbs-ish, this was a good sized coyote). Coyote trots by unphased. I considered seeing if Agis would react and run it off, but I also have old man Neb all elderly and I don't know how habituated the darned thing is. It passes by, I walk over to Toby, Xerxes, and our friend Sue with TinTin. A cyclist who had warned Sue it was behind her and TinTin came by and said, I've got a toy dog too, and I've seen this one around, it's bold. He rode around and said it was gone, but Sue still cut TinTin's nighttime outdoor time short.

I've seen coyotes walking down the street by the building, and crossing into yards out on runs, but that coyote was close. I still have some adrenaline from it being so near.

Xerxes the Attack Beagle did have a grand old time following the coyote's scent around the complex lawns.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Wow!! The city coyotes are really getting bold!!! You would think that with 4 dogs around and 3 adults...this coyote would have been wary! We live in the country and have many coyotes around...and they do come close to the house. We hear them howling in the evening and during the night...loud enough that they wake us up, and the dog up.

I took our dog out for a walk on our trail in the field yesterday around noon (it's shady and cooler to walk)....walked the same trail around 4 same day...and there was a huge dump of coyote poop right in the middle of our path. This was quite close to our house! I was shocked that a coyote had been out during the day...and came so close to our house. I have to get my game camera back from my son's house and put it up to see what is happening while we are not around. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coyote couldn't even be bothered to glance in our direction! I've seen them before, but never one that close.

That is close for you too! Yikes! Be interesting to see what the game camera would catch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts