Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Apollo has outgrown his nylon puppy collar. I would like to get him a collar that would work well for training. I have looked at chokers, harnesses, and have no idea what would work best. I want something that will discourage him from pulling. Should I buy more than one kind for different uses? </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use nylon padded for mine. I love the look of the choker chain, but Dallas has broke 2 of them. I have harnnes for walking. So I think that Donna could help you more here.

I had Dallas on a line outside, I was working on the back fence. I was just talking to her, and the next thing I know she was at a full run and broke the choker. Never even slowed her down. Now when I put choker on her she is in the house and it is just something to hold her with if someone knocks on the door.

·
Registered
914 Posts
what you need is a pronged collar it looks mean but it is a very helpful tool to have when training! when I say pronged I mean one with the prongs on the inside!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Yep Scarlet ya need a pronged collar for the walking . I use them onALL my babies or else I get pulled . Start it now while hes young and take the rubber duckies off it ...or don't buy one with ..When I get out the collars they all put their head right in !!! They know their going for a walk ! for homethe twinshave nylon ones but again they have grown out of them so friday I"m off to buy new . Kitty and Zeus wear chocker's only so I can control them inside. NOT for walking .... so you need acouple of different ones for different uses ....I'll tell you Scarlet they are totaly different when they have the pronged collars on but you have to use it right . have you inrolled in any puppy classes ?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I would first take him to class and see what he needs.He might not be a puller.

A harness is hard to control a dog in one,as the dog can pull you where ever.The trick with the chock collar is to put it up high on the head right at the neck line.It is easier to control the head the it is the body.

Again I would find a class and see what he needs.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Oh he's not a puller, he's a lunger! He started out okay with the nylon leash and collar, but now he discovered he can grab the leash with his mouth and pull on the leash. And when he's not trying to do that he's straining against the leash now and trying to lunge ahead of me. I have to hold the leash really taunt over his head to keep him from grabbing it, and keep the leash really short to keep him by my side so he can't lunge ahead.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
First get a leather leash(unless you like bloody hands)6 foot is prefered.

Put the collar way up on his neck,right under his head.When he starts to pull give a quick jurk.Which means give slack and then take it away.Your leash should not be tight.You can not give a correction with a tight leash.

Hard to explain easier to show.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So should I use the pronged collar with the leash? or a choker? Kitty- what did you mean when you said rubber duckies? You lost me there. If I use a pronged collar how do I know what is the right size? </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
387 Posts
The prong collar have sizes on them and you can buy links as he grows. You use your lease with the collar for walking. I think the rubber ducks go over the prongs.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The prong comes in three sizes.tiny-medium-big.They come with little rubber nobs on the end of each prong(take them off).

Get the medium size prong.The big looks really scary and you really don't need the prongs any bigger then the medium ones for Rottweilers.You can add and buy new links as your dog grows.If you take any out make sure you know where they are for when he starts to grow more.

Again if you can find a class to get him in.Dogs really need to be trained around other dogs,so they learn to listen with lots of distractions.

Donna

·
Registered
599 Posts
Max has been doing pretty good here. However he does try to pull sometimes. I think just more practice with him and he will be ok. Never heard of that collar before but it sounds like it might work good.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks everybody! I am going to go out tomorrow to get one. Apollo could use a little road trip
Why a 6 ft. leash, Donna? I shouldn't give him that much lead when we're walking should I?Rotty, how old is your Max? </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
When you are training you need a 6 foot leash.I guess if you are just walking a 4 foot would work.If you get a really short one it's hard to walk and correct your dog.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

is there a right way and a wrong way to put the prong collar on?</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes.

The prongs of course go inside.You do not slip it over the head or it will be too loose.Each prong can be a way to open it.It should be snug but not tight.(as it needs to pinch)Open it in the middle of the collar not near the end(it's harded to getit back to gether.

When you go to the pet shop ask some there to show you how to open and close it.and pratcie before you put it on the dog so it goes smoothly.

I hope this helped instead of confusing.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks Donna!
I will definitely ask someone for help. I want to make sure I get the right fit. </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for putting those links up there Donna! they are very informative. I have to go to petsmart to see what kind of prong collars they have there!</BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.